iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I need to save my barn

Started by Jeff, May 24, 2013, 10:50:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonT

8) Well done Jeff.   A masdam rope puller is a handy tool for trees like that

SwampDonkey

Great job! Sometimes you just have to brave it and get'r done. It's not like your a green horn at cutting trees.  Another plus is getting outside in the fresh air for awhile, and then some by the time you get'r cut up. 8)

The but of that oak still looked pretty strong.

When I took down my maple, because of what looked like a lot of rot on one corner, only had a slice of pie sized rot in the stump. The big limb that had died about 10 feet up was the source of the rot and had only about 4 feet left as a stub. But that tree was still lots strong, that rot was certainly not growing in size very fast. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Yea, I expected that stump to look far worse than it did. I figured the entire center was going to be gone. When ever it rained, water would run out of the hole on the bottom.  Turns out, the there was only a small rotten passage running near the edge of the tree about the diameter of a golf ball.  It may be worse lower on the stump, as thatis why I cut it high, to tyr and get the best hinge wood.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

petefrom bearswamp

Glad it went well Jeff.
Good job!
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

RynSmith

Quote from: Jeff on January 15, 2014, 08:29:50 AM
Yea, I expected that stump to look far worse than it did.

That is very interesting to me - given what it looked like from the outside I would've expected much worse too.

loggah

Yup, you done good !!!!thats the kind of tree the forest service would have us save out in the forest!! habitat tree ! ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Jeff

She's all blocked up as of this evening and the brush burned.  There is some splitting to be done yet, and some picking up and stacking, then tree number two and I have a date. :)

thecfarm

May tree #2 treat you as good as tree#1.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Its smaller a straight and has a place to go now. :)

Al_Smith

Ya done good .Generally speaking they'll fall with the hinge .Every so often it might be off a little bit .About the time it breaks over and commits gravity has it .You get that sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach you might have miscalculated  but there's nothing you can do about it .Cross your fingers and hope for the best .

Jeff

I was really concerned about the hinge holding in this very frozen red oak. It did break, but only after the tree's direction was committed. It was warmer the last couple days, but these trees are all frozen hard from all of our sub-zero weather.  Even the butt chunks on this tree are easily splitting with a maul. My arms only let me do a little at a time, but its pretty satisfying watching a round almost fly apart when you smack it. 8)

Al_Smith

Even in warm weather it's kind of hard to hinge an oak so it holds all the way to the ground .At least that's been my experiance .

SwampDonkey

Ah, just as I have said before, winter frozen wood is easy splitting.  :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

Swampish ,aren't you the guy that buys it already split and have in all stowed away in the basement about the first of June ?

SwampDonkey

Yeah, that's even easier when it's already split. ;D

Jeff

To bad I don't burn wood. :)   Looks like by the time this is said and done, there will be well over two, maybe even three face cord of split oak firewood from this one tree. We were getting low on Pig roast bonfire wood!

SwampDonkey

Nothing wasted. Will make nice bonfire wood for sure.  8)

terry f

SwampDonkey

16" sticks stacked 4' high by 8' long. I'd say if that tree was handy to 20" there would be at least a cord. Depending on their being more than two major limbs above a crotch, there could be a little more. A lot of wood in a cord. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!