oregonsawer

How many ties could you saw in a day?
With a LT70 Woodmizer.
I have a guy asking me for a bdf price to saw cross
ties. I have never sawed  them so I don't know what to
tell him.
He has a constant supply of oak logs. 

Ron Wenrich

Are you sawing someone else's logs or are you sawing your own logs for a tie buyer?  The tie buyer should just quote you a price for the tie. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

oregonsawer

I would be sawing for some one
that has the logs.

ARKANSAWYER

I have a roller line and edger behind my LT70 and 3 men.  With oak logs 12 to 18 inches dib and 9 ft long we can make 100 7x9x9 ties a day.  The men are worn out and there is about 4,500 bdft of side wood to go with about 4,700 bdft of ties.  It takes 250 ties per TT load.  A 6x8x8 tie weighs about 150 lbs and a 7x9x9 around 220 lbs.

With my LT40 and one man and edger we made about 25 ties a day.  Support equipment and bucked logs with both systems.

A 6x8x8 tie is bringing about $12 and a 7x9x9 around $19.  With my sawing charge of $250 mbdft I figure it cost me $8 to saw the 6x8 and $11.75 for the 7x9 and I pay $45 a ton for the logs.  Side wood is fetching about  $600 mbdft for log run on good logs and can drop fast with poor logs.
ARKANSAWYER

KnotBB

I'd caution the log owner of being sure he had a market for Oregon oak ties.  Oregon white oak doesn't like to take treatment too well and some buyers are reluctant.  Last year I had a request or two truck loads as an "Experiment" to see if they would work.  I couldn't get that much oak to even think about it when the local sawmill is paying $425 to $450 for the logs.  Most ties on the west coast are D. Fir or Hem/Fir and that's what the market is set up to accept.

Last price I had for ties was $475/m for 7"X9"X8' for hem/fir, FOB Eugene.  Hardwoods should be a tad more if they will buy them.  That price is 40 days old.

Why don't you call Hardwood Components in Mahama and sell the logs to him and act as a broker?  He's hungry for oak right now and his price might be a bit higher than it was!

Stevem
To forget one's purpose is the commonest form of stupidity.

Thank You Sponsors!