iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

036 problems

Started by Tony, February 18, 2009, 04:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

I hope I can explain this problem to where you can understand it. ::) I'm having trouble with the pull-rope assembly on my 036. The little black doohickies (pawls??) seize up and won't catch. I replaced them a couple of times this past year. :o >:( >:(

I hope this makes sense ::)
                                               Thanks Tony 8)
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

Kevin

Is the rope wrapped in the proper direction and the retaining clip attached to the pawls?

Tony

Quote from: Kevin on February 18, 2009, 05:11:59 PM
Is the rope wrapped in the proper direction and the retaining clip attached to the pawls?

Yes, every thing seems to be in order. It'll run good for a while then the problem starts. >:(
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

chevytaHOE5674

Are they actually melting and seizing? Or just getting crude in them?

sawcollector

If they catch at all then you probably have the clip on right. If they are not kicking out and the spring clip is worn that may be the problem. I have seen sometimes the rope rotor or pulley get so worn where the pawl drops in that the rotor must be replaced.
If you drop start the saw that is why the pawls and rotor are getting messed up.
Drop starting is dangerous and hard on the starter.

Tony

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on February 18, 2009, 06:26:29 PM
Are they actually melting and seizing? Or just getting crude in them?

seizing

Rocky_J

If you have ever greased them, the grease will eventually dry up and get hard, which will then create friction and gum up the works. It's plastic on plastic so no lubrication is called for. Clean it up and see that everything moves smoothly. Try to find out exactly what is catching and why.

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Rocky_J on February 18, 2009, 07:44:20 PM
If you have ever greased them, the grease will eventually dry up and get hard, which will then create friction and gum up the works. It's plastic on plastic so no lubrication is called for. Clean it up and see that everything moves smoothly. Try to find out exactly what is catching and why.

That was my thinking. Plastic on plastic should be a dry connection.

Next time it seizes up try and get a picture of the inside of the starter housing.

isawlogs

I had the same hapen to my 034 ... change the rope drum the clip and the pawl and you will not have any more issues .

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tony

Quote from: isawlogs on February 18, 2009, 08:44:41 PM

I had the same hapen to my 034 ... change the rope drum the clip and the pawl and you will not have any more issues .

Went to the dealer and all that is ordered, so we'll see ::) ::) ::)

Thanks for all the responses.

Tony 8)

joe_indi

If the groove for the pawl spring on the starter axle is worn, replacing other parts may not help.

Remove the pawl spring (the clip that holds the 'little black doohickies'), wind a couple of inches of sewing thread into the groove for the pawl spring, re-install the pawl spring and try the starter.This could do the trick

Joe

Thank You Sponsors!