Main Menu

Sponsors:

Poll: Trust

Started by Ron Wenrich, June 19, 2005, 09:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Frank_Pender

MY "very trusting" choice was on the first round relationship and all subsequent dealings as long as they are positive thereafter. :)
Frank Pender

Cedarman

Ronald Reagan summed it up rather well, "Trust, but verify."
I try not to put myself in a position where I have to trust someone that I am not very familiar with.
I trust my caving friends with my life when we go underground and theirs with me.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

maple flats

I trust everyone until they prove not to be worthy of it.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

pigman

Comming from a farming background I was very trusting. 8) After being in the sawing buisness for a while I have become somewhat skeptical. ::) When I deal with loggers I am very skeptical. :( When I was in the piggy buisness I bought over $ 30k of corn from farmers at one time, weighed it myself, and mailed them the check. When I started dealing with sawmill companies I can't buy a $5 part without paying in advance. Seems sawmillers don't have as good a reputation as farmers.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

iain

Voted very which is true
but only till they hang themselves

iain

Tom Sawyer

I agree.  I usually give people one chance to show me they are trustworthy.  What happens the next time depends on how they responded the first time.  Once trust is lost it is hard to regain it.

Tom

RSteiner

A few years ago I would have selected the very trusting option but today with all the liability seekers out there I have to back off a bit.

There was an incident about 12 years ago in the winter when the wife and I did something we probably would not do today.  We live in a rural area on a dirt road.  There was an old couple in their 80's that lived up the road who we got to know having lived there for over 15 years. 

It was New Years eve my mother's birthday who we were going to take out for dinner.  This particular winter we had already had several snow storms making the snow banks quite high which closed in the already narrow dirt road some more.  The road surface consisted of hard packed snow.  Also, this is not a thru road in the winter.

Sometime in the afternoon I was working outside and I noticed one of those big front wheel drive Oldsmobile's towing a travel trailer up the road.  Knowing there is a steep hill with some nasty curves ahead I wondered if they would make it.   An hour later a teenager shows up in the yard asking to borrow a chain so his father can pull the trailer out of the snow bank. 

They never made it up the hill and when backing down the trailer got sucked into the snow bank.  He managed to get the car disconnected from the trailer and turned around.  Turns out the driver of the car was the son of the old couple that lived up the road who they were going to spend the weekend with.  Along with the father and son was their mother and a couple of other young children.

I went up with my tractor and pulled the trailer out of the snow bank.  I told them they were welcome to park the trailer in my driveway.  The wife asked if she could take the kicds to my house to use the bathroom and get out of the cold, to which I said okay.  So now we have people we have never seen before in our house from out of state not wanting or able to leave.

It was time to leave to meet my mother and the rest of the family for dinner.  The wife and I looked at each other, now what do we do?  So we asked them to turn the lights off when they left and told them the offer to park the trailer in the driveway was still valid and told them where the outside electrical plug was.

When we returned home the trailer was there and the people were sound asleep.  We became good friends with this family over the years of them visiting home.  This time it turned out alright.

Randy
Randy

GareyD

I was taught to trust everyone and not take people on "first impressions"...

but, if ya lie to me, steal from me or not do what ya say ya will... to live by the addage of...

"One time shame on you...Two times, shame on me!!"
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends, if they're okay, then it's you.

tnlogger

I voted very trusting. It's served me well I might get taken one day because of it but up till now
i've down allright.
To me trust is a two way street if you cannot trust your fellow man then he will not trust in you.  :)
gene

Woodcarver

I voted somewhat skeptical.  I have an inherent desire to trust people and frequently do business on a handshake, but when dealing with someone who is unkown to me I verify and then trust.   
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

OneWithWood

When I was younger I was very trusting.  Experience has taught me differently.  I am now somewhat sceptical until my trust is earned.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

MULE_MAN

It really depends on the person, I would like to think you could trust everybody,
But over the years I found that not to be true, Usually after a few minute's of talking
to a person you can tell if there full of it , Are truly a good OLE Boy !!!
I've had so many people say there bring all these logs to saw up for this are that & allot
of them are No Show, & have just wasted my time So for the most part, I'm skeptical of
people until they make me feel different
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Jeff

I think this is a good place to pat my fellow forestry forum admins on the back. I found out recently that some people are surprised that they all have the same abilities that I do in regards to running the Forestry Forum. Anyone of them could delete the whole forum database, any one of them could remove the whole membership.  Anyone of them.  I put complete trust in their judgment and stand beside them in any decision they might make along the way in the day to day things we deal with on the Forum.  My trust in them can be no other way. So, trust has a lot to do with the existence of this forum. 

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

musher

I voted "somewhat skeptical".  It isn't that I am cautious about people being intentionally dishonest.  I'm more concerned that people are just incompetent or lazy and don't give me my money's worth.
Mike

Ernie

I voted very trusting.  I sleep very well not having to worry about mistrust.

I have been bitten a few times but not often enough to have suspicion as my first reaction.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

isawlogs

I am a very trusting person , to a point ....  but must add,  this point should never be crossed .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

UNCLEBUCK

I trust everyone I meet and know , I give 100% and a mile of rope and it dont take long for cheats to hang themselves with it , then they are out of the circle of trust for good . One time and one time only !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

mometal77

I think it depends on what it is.  From on the job with giving your life in someone's else's hands, to the borrowing of a tool.  Right down to family security.  There are many levels.  Like there are doors in heaven.  I am reading food aid to North Korea the United States is going to be doing shaking head.  :)  :-X
Bob
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

junkyard

Trust any body like I would a dog. They get one chance then it's my turn.
               Junkyard
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.

Cedarman

We get common carriers and UPS drivers in here regularly.  We have a nice, quick moving husky looking dog.  First time drivers are slow to get out of their truck.  The good ones have doggie biscuits that they give to the dog. They earned the trust of the dog.  He knows truck drivers are good guys and trusts them.  It is learned behavior.  There is trust between dog and man because trust has been earned on both sides.  Each are skeptical at first, but the actions have earned the trust.  It is the actions that we do that is the important thing. The words we use are just words until we back them up.  Therefore, I watch what a person does, not what they say.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

mometal77

Cedarman,
Makes the most sense.  I most certainly agree. Also with my lookings for a new gf who can trust anyone that doesnt like dogs?  Happy tails...
bob
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Left_Coast_Rich

My everyday job is that of a real estate broker working with the general public every day.  I have seen everything from "I didn't know I needed a building permit" for their new bathroom addition to yah whats it to you, the buyer will never know!  I still give the person the benefit of the first time trust.  I guess I choose to see them through the eyes of Jesus, who chooses to forget all the times I mess up, and still trusts me.  He chooses to forgive when I ask for forgiveness, and waits for that time to come.  The issue is how does this happening change me on the inside.  Do I allow myself to become cynical because of this one jerk.  That cynicism eats at me and those who I love worse that it hurts the untrustworthy.  I guess the answer is what is stated above, trust and verify, guard your heart and establish boundries for those who have not shown their colors yet.  In real estate we write everything down so that we don't forget what was previously said.  Helps in court too.  LC Rich 8) 8)
I know more today than yesterday less than tomorrow.

Faron

I guess I am mostly pretty trusting.  It gets harder to do, though.  We had a fellow stop by the farm to enquire about scrap metal.  Dad told him he would show him some he could have if he came to his place that evening.  The man never showed up, but someone raided the anhydrous ammonia tank hidded in a hollow back of the barn that night. >:( Someone would probably have had to scout out the location in advance in order to get in there in the dark.   Now, if he shows up next week, do we trust him, or show him the door?   Most likely he wanted to scout out the place rather than check out scrap metal, but  it could be he didn't have anything to do with the anhydrous theft.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

WV_hillbilly

I voted somewhat skeptical cause of the turn of events around when I was 17-18 years  old .
  My parents went thru a ruff spell then . The people I thought were very good family friends turned their backs on us .  We lost 3 farms ,a grocery store,  ceramic shop, all of our farm equipment and vehicles . The only thing we ended up with was our clothes and furniture from our house . My dad has and still would give these people the shirt off his back , I won't . He wasn't asking for a donation just alittle help that would be repaid many times over .  The thing  that rubs me the most is that they would not help out , but were the first ones at the auctions .

So usually when I meet get into dealings with people I haven't met before I  verify then trust .  Like others have posted they  may get me once but I   doubt  they would get the second chance to do it again  .
Hillbilly