iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quitting!

Started by JohnG28, January 02, 2012, 08:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnG28

Smoking that is.  I have gone back and forth a lot of times here, quitting for a short time and then going back.  I think I've had enough now.  I said when they went to $10 a pack here that was it, but still I went on for another two years.   Well now I think it's time.  Bought what I hope is my last pack today.   Any words of wisdom from others who quit would be appreciated. Wish me luck!
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

POSTON WIDEHEAD

A good friend of mine quit 3 years ago after the Doctor gave him his WARNING!

He said the first 3 months was the worst. He ate lots of hard candy and suckers. He stayed off of them though.

Its been 3 years now and he don't even think about it now. If you John, quit NOW.....you'll probably add another ten years to your life. But you can do it! If my friend can quit, so can you. He has the hardest head I've ever met.  :D

Hang in there, eat hard candy and stay busy!

Prayers are with you!

David
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ironwood

Never started, but stick to it. WOW $10 a pack I had no idea they were that high now!

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Shotgun

John, you're still a young man.  I'm really pleased to learn that you're going to stop smoking. That will be a gift to yourself and for those that love you.  It can be done.  I've never done it though, because I never started. Take it one day at a time, and keep us posted. I've heard that the first few days are the worst.  Good luck.

Norm
Not a young man...
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Mooseherder

You can do it. :)   8)
I'm coming up on my 4 year anniversary of kicking the habit.
It isn't easy but you're the only person that can decide when it's time.
I loved smoking and would reward myself with a cigarette after completing each task, ciphering on a task, driving, after meals, and any possible moment where I could. 
It gets easier to not look back each and every day that you go smoke free.
Looking back now, I can't believe I was a smoker and have no desire for them.
When I first quit I didn't mind being around someone who was smoking.  Now, I would rather not be around it.  I have made a pledge to myself to not judge or preach on the subject for I know, no one can tell anyone to do anything until they are ready.  You will be rewarding yourself with many benefits though and you will not regret it. ;)
Good luck on your quest.  I'll be pulling for ya!

isawlogs

I am on five or better years of not smoking any tobaco, man was that something I found hard to get over . I was a heavy smoker at almost two packs or more a day, I had cravings for a long time but held on.  Stupid thing I did was to replace the cigs with chocolats...  Barrel shape ya saye...   ::) :D  I now need to get back into some kind of shape other then pear....

It aint gonna be easy, be strong and you can pull through this !  we are all pullin' for ya !!!!!
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Chuck White

John; You can quit if you want to.

Just try to keep busy and I found that it also helped to frequent designated "No Smoking" places!

I quit back in 1977 when I was stationed in Korea and there I could buy smokes for $1.10 per carton.

Good luck to you!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sandhills

My wife quit smoking using chantix?, it worked for her but I tried it for quitting chewing, my results weren't as great.  If YOU are ready to quit then you can!  I wish you the best of luck and keep us posted on your success in the years to come! 

Riggs

Good Luck  smiley_clapping
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

zopi

Hope you are still quit. I stopped about a month ago. Doing fine, and have no Navy making my life miserable...so it's all good.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Radar67

This is my fourth year without them. I used Chantix to quit. It really helped with the withdrawals.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Sprucegum

I quit New Years Eve 1988 - before it was socially acceptable to be a quitter  ::) but my 8 year old son was out running me so I had to  ;)

It was one of the hardest things I ever did but well worth it. You can also try acupuncture or hypnosis combat the craving.

Manorwood

well... not the easiest thing to say, but... Dad just got a ct scan of his lungs.  There are lumps there that were not there a year ago.  No biopsy yet so not saying the C word (but thinking it).  I can't speak for him, but for me, one of his sons, it really sucks.  Quit.  Dad did, many years ago.  We'll find out if it was early enough.  Now I have to go in for optical checks (digital not being good enough, apparently) cause he is first degree relative, and just through chemo from battling colon cancer (clean there - not bad habit related). 

This is not a year I am looking forward to.  Last year was bad enough for him.

fat olde elf

Go for it......I quit on October 15, 1980. Do the math. It was a Wednesday, 8:00 PM, but who keeps track of stuff like that ? Since you are in NY you can call 866-697-8487 which is the NY state quit line, If you are really lucky you may reach my brother, John, who has worked for them for several years. I bought a pack of Kent 100's in a machine in NYC in October 1980 for a buck. That (and many other factors) did it for me, 2 1/2 to 3 paks a day for a long time.  My pulmonary function is nearly perfect for my age. (old)  Good Luck to you.
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Paper Maker

I quit 11/8/11 its getting easer every day. It still has its moments  but this time I've made my mind up. When I had my neck surgery on 9th they scared the you know what out of me. When I woke up in recovery, I was in allot of pain. When I told the recovery nurse that I was hurting bad, she said I know but we cant give you any thing else because of your blood oxygen level. She told me it was the results of being a smoker for so long. A couple of days later I threw all I had in the garbage. For people that have never smoked its hard for them to understand the hold that they have on you but after 20 something years I sure do. One things for sure though we're all hoping you can beat them. Best advise I can give you is to keep your mind busy on other things. I wish you the best of luck will power.  smiley_clapping

JohnG28

Thank you all for the words of encouragement.  I really appreciate it.  Today will be my last day with a smoke.  I know it's not the best way to quit but sort of my letting go I guess.  I am going to use nicotine gum to kill the cravings some,  and to keep my job.  :D I am putting it all out this time and I hope my hard head keeps me going. Manorwood,  I hope the best for your father as well.  Hopefully it works for the better and the worst is no more than a scare.  Thanks again to all, I'll keep you updated as this post shall help serve as a reminder to me to keep going!
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Norm

thecfarm

You can do it. I probably tried 100 times before I quit, Been 15 years and I feel great.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

36 coupe

I quit smoking 50 years ago..I was using a pack a day.Ran out while i was working in a TV shop.Could have walked over to the gas station for a new pack but decided not to.I smoked a pipe now and then so went thru a 10 cent pak of Model in  the next week.Bummed a few butts from friends.Smoking a pipe will help you quit smoking,It takes time to dump the ashes and refill the pipe.If you insist on smoking roll your own.I saw a pak of Camels priced at 10 bucks.a friend was smoking 3 packs a day, I did get him to roll his own.He has cancer in both lungs.

Qweaver

I quit a pack a day unfiltered pall Mall habit in 1973.  I think that as long as you say this is the last pack and then keep on buying another one...you will never quit.  Lay down the full pack and never pick it up again.  It's tough but so is dying of cancer.  I think we all have "will-power"...we just have to use it!
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Magicman

I wish you the best.  I have a friend who substituted chewing.  :-\   He later said that chewing was harder to quit than smoking.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Corley5

Don't give up on it.  I quit cold turkey the 1st week of June 2003.  I was a pack a day + user.  More if alcohol was involved.  Seldom does a day go by that at some point cigarettes don't cross my mind but I'll never smoke again.  The smell of cigarette smoke especially stale smoke enforces that. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

doctorb

My experience with patients tells me that, in addition to the will and will power to quit, you must not place yourself into environments where smoking is going to continue.  If your wife or your kids are at home and they smoke, you will have a very tough time quitting. 

If that's the case, my advice is to make a pact with your family.  Either they have to stop at the same time (a great idea), which provides a great built-in support group, or they can no longer smoke in the house or in your car.

Get rid of the ashtrays, including your car.  Get rid of the "hiding spots" where you have stashed tobacco before.  Clean house.  Find a non-caloric snack that you can lean on to replace the oral tendencies associated with smoking.  Finally, make sure your friends and fellow workers understand that you are trying to quit.  Avoid any routines with friends and family that places you in a locale where routinely you used to smoke, or where smoking routinely occurs.

Good Luck.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

LeeB

Toughest drug I ever kicked. I quit on 7/27/09 and still have an occasional urge.  Reading this stirred it up just a twinge. I smoked forclose to 40 years. If I can quit, you can too.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Raider Bill

Quote from: LeeB on January 03, 2012, 08:52:44 AM
Toughest drug I ever kicked. I quit on 7/27/09 and still have an occasional urge.  Reading this stirred it up just a twinge. I smoked forclose to 40 years. If I can quit, you can too.

Roger that, Lee and I quit about the same time. My date was 7-1-09. Had to just about quit drinking beer to do it though but lucky for me I am back on beer. Still have urges though but easy to get through them.   
I really try to stay away from smoking bars and have actually become sort of a smoking snob in that regard. I figure I went through all that to quit why should I smell it now.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Paper Maker

Quote from: Qweaver on January 03, 2012, 08:03:40 AM
I quit a pack a day unfiltered pall Mall habit in 1973.  I think that as long as you say this is the last pack and then keep on buying another one...you will never quit.  Lay down the full pack and never pick it up again.  It's tough but so is dying of cancer.  I think we all have "will-power"...we just have to use it!

When I read your post I remember what my dad said when he quit. "If a man smokes his last cigarette, his just out. If man lays a pack down he quit." I remember when he quit, his last pack was worn out from carrying it in his front pocket.

LeeB

I was smoking little cigars when I quit. Tried to quit in 1985 by smoking a cigar now and then. That turned into a full blown cigar habit. I carried my last box for a couple of weeks before I dumped them over the side of the rig. Quit dipping two months later after having carried a can unopened for over a month. Never did dip at home, only at work. The urge for a dip is still quite strong at certain times when I go to the rig floor to relieve the drillers for thier meals and coffee breaks. I just keep on keeping on. No way do I want that monkey back.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

terrifictimbersllc

Good luck to you JohnG28.  June 1976 for me.  Went a week fishing vacation with my extended family where my smoking was simply not an option, thank God.  I was sick of it anyway and used that occasion to get started. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

isawlogs

I had a pack of Export"A" in my pocket unsealed and ready to be lit for all of two and a half months, then I gave it away. To a friend that needed to quit , after lighting one of those dried out smokes he put that pack into his shirt pocket and quit too. I asked him to pass it forward.  ;D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

petefrom bearswamp

Way to go.
I quit in 1961 when my wife and i both smoked but she got sick every time she had a cig when pregnant with my now 51 yr old son.
I did regress smoked a pipe for a while and had an occasional cigar some yrs ago.
It is possible to quit and is a goood thing to do hang in there .
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

caveman

I dipped Copenhagen snuff for about 20 years and quit for two years, three months and four days. Then one stressful evening I started again but on another brand that did not taste as good to me, thinking that quitting would be easier.  The Red Seal snuff that I eventually used tasted as good as Copenhagen, came in a bigger can and was cheaper.  I dipped that for about ten years and last year after a fellow named Rick Bender came to talk to a group of kids at our high school (it was supposed to be a major assembly with hundreds of kids, but due to tornadoes in the area we were stuck in a small classroom with only a handful of folks).  I decided to try to quit again.  So far it has been a bit over nine months.  The smell still causes cravings--most of my friends still dip.  Every week or so I still dream that I use snuff and after meals I still reach for it and find a pack of gum.  Good luck with quitting.  A veterinarian friend of mine has been quoted as saying, "all bleeding will eventually stop".  I guess all smokers will eventually stop.
Caveman
Caveman

tractormanNwv

Good Luck with your decision....I smoked for 27 yrs before I said ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, I too carried a pack around for a long time, my wife said I got mean for a while at one point...I don't remember that part but I was on edge a lot. When I quit I was 192 lbs, now I'm 237 lbs...but thats my fault I guess. Good thing is I have more money now to buy more tractors etc....

Jim

DoubleD

Good luck John

I did quit 3 years and 4 months ago  8) 8) 8) after smoking for 12 years :-[ , sometimes I still crave for a cigarette, all my friends still smoke but I can count only on myself to not fall in the habit again. I should add that seeing my dad and mom quitting too helped a little.

Throwing the pack could help or not, in my case I had a pack at hand because the first thing that a smoker without cigs do it's to buy another pack ::)

Resist mate you are stronger than your habit  ;)
Wannabe a sawmiller

JohnG28

I am on the first day without smokes now.  I don't think the idea of having a pack would help me, at least not at this point.  I know myself,  I would just open them and light up.  My wife has been a much less frequent smoker and has been waiting for me to kick it anyway.  She had a few in our only stash spot and I took them out last night and made her get rid of them.  Yesterday was a long rough day at work, today probably will be too but I'm ready to go it without them.  Told people at work I was done, although I've said it before.  Just have to stay at it now, no cheating like I have with past "quits."  I too will have to go a while without a beer,  but I guess that's not all bad either.  If I can make a couple weeks here then maybe a couple are on order but for now it's on hold.  I'll keep you posted.

Magicman

I have heard many folks remark about getting their sense of smell back.  They never realized how good, good stuff smells and how bad tobacco smoke smells.  Plus, a smoker's breath will knock you back.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

I don't seem to have recovered my smell or taste any except I do not like the smell of smoke. Had to "dump" a Lady friend because she smelled like cigarettes all the time though. Other that that I'd have probably kept her around.

Paul_H

I smoked 12 years then quit for 3 and started again another 10 years. 2+ packs a day and always smoked the whole thing,never let them sit in an ashtray and smoulder. :-X
Finally quit for good June 08 2005 and never plan to start again.Cravings still sneak up,especially in a high stress condition.3 years ago I was on a loader 10 hours a day,no stopping and the thought crossed my mind that things would be better if I had a smoke.
It's those lies that can trip you up.I asked myself how in the cathair would a but in my mouth with smoke pouring straight up into my nose and eyes in a enclosed cab make it better? That helped with the craving and it passed quickly.
Good luck and remember that the cravings can come out of no where but pass quickly too,if you can use reason.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

zopi

Yeah, I have quit several times....hopefully I will never be in a situation so stressful that I feel compelled to go back to it....or at least that I cannot walk away from.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

CHARLIE

I surely hope you do quit. After reading all the posts, I didn't read a single one where someone wasn't glad they quit smoking. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers for you to have the strength to endure this new challange.     
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

AvT

I quit back in May I believe and have behaved fairly well ever since.  I just calculated how much I saved by not smoking and it is in the $2500.00 neighborhood. I did break down a few times but managed to not go back to it full time.  Man, the first few days were tough.  I think I looked at it like a big challenge like climbing a  mountain which almost made it fun.  I started a topic in "health and safety" when I quit, if you care to look.
Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

Ernie

I have quit smoking many times in the last 55 years since I started never with any great degree of success.  The best I could do was about three months.

I then decided about 10 months ago that quitting is a very hard and negative action and instead, I chose a positive path.  I became a non-smoker.  One day I made the decision to become a non-smoker and haven't had a cigarette since, no withdrawls, no fingernail scratchings up the walls, no biting the head off mum and the kids actually no problems at all.  I feel great, have lost weight, enjoy the taste of some terrific food and have a much more acute sense of smell.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Brucer

I'm very fortunate that I never took up smoking.

My Dad was a 2-pack a day smoker (plus cigars & a pipe) and quit 10 times before he finally licked it.

My wife quit twice and so did my daughter -- both permanently the second time.

I have a friend who has quit several times in the last few years, but always starts up again when she gets stressed out. Her husband is a smoker and that makes it extra hard to quit.

I read a research report a few years ago that explained why nicotine was the "perfect addictive" substance. Some of this research was done in the 60's by the tobacco industry but was suppressed. We only know about it today thanks to a US court ruling.

From what my smoking (and former smoking) friends have told me, Ernie's approach is one of the best; but there is no one-size-fits-all approach to quitting.

I have the greatest respect for those who manage to beat it, and also for those who keep on trying.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

thecfarm

Hi John, just checking in on you. Sounds good!!!!!! Keep at it. Look at the money you will be saving. Not just on them nasty things,but healthwise too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jwillett2009

I've got seven years in in August. I quit several times before I actually got free of it.

All I can offer in the way of encouragement is that it just keeps getting better after the first few weeks. The cravings will be around for a long, long time but they weaken as time goes on. You will start to feel better after a month or so and then it will just roll from there. Good luck buddy.

Jamie
60 acre woodlot, 455 rancher husqavarna, MS660 stihl, 196? Massey ferguson farm tractor with three point hitch, Granberg Mark III Alaskan CSM, Sierra 1500

ibseeker

Quote from: JohnG28 on January 02, 2012, 08:53:30 PM
Smoking that is.  I have gone back and forth a lot of times here, quitting for a short time and then going back.  I think I've had enough now.  I said when they went to $10 a pack here that was it, but still I went on for another two years.   Well now I think it's time.  Bought what I hope is my last pack today.   Any words of wisdom from others who quit would be appreciated. Wish me luck!
Have you considered laser therapy? I don't know if it's available in your area but if it's reasonably close, I'd check it out. I quit last January and it was very easy. I will still get the desire to have a smoke but no cravings. The desire doesn't last long and a simple distraction takes it off my mind. When I researched it what I kept reading was that it was a hoax. I decided to do it anyway on the recommendation of my neighbor who smoked for 60 years. I was very skeptical about how a laser would stop the cravings so I can certainly understand how some of you might think this is a load of bs. I just know that it worked for me and a couple of others.

Good luck with quitting, I've heard it can really be difficult.
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

JohnG28

Made it through day two.  It was a little easier today, ate at different times and was busy all day pretty much. Thanks for the tip about laser, wasn't something I even thought of.  I have tomorrow off so have planned to get a bunch of things done around the house.  Thanks for checking in cfarm. I'll keep posted,  this here has been a big help to me too!

beenthere

ibseeker
QuoteI was very skeptical about how a laser would stop the cravings so I can certainly understand how some of you might think this is a load of bs. I just know that it worked for me and a couple of others.

Can you explain to us how the laser treatment worked and what it did to stop your smoking? Sounds interesting, but am interested in learning more about it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Hi John,a pat on the back if I lived closer to you. We are all here for you. Sounds like you are well on your way to get rid of that nasty habit. I was so glad when finally I had it beat. I still miss it and I know I could start up that dump habit in a heart beat. One of the things that helps me out,you will notice this in the near future,stand in line somewheres and you can smell them things.Them things STINK. I've even went to a different line just to get away from it.

Peter Drouin

I was smoking for 25 + years. tryed all kinds of nicotine things did not work for me. then one day  in my prayers I ask God to take away the craving. all saw gone the next day . and that was 12 years ago. that work for me,  good luck to you :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

MapleNut

My brother quit the day he had a heart attack...14 years ago, after smoking for 25 years. He said that it was easy, after the scare he got...he was lucky to live thru it.
2005 WM LT40HDG28, 5500 IRON MULE, 272,262,046, & A PIC!

bama20a

Heck quitting is easy,I do it ever day ;D,Wife did quit about 6 years ago,I'd go outside to smoke where it won't be tempting her,After 6 years I still don't smoke in my house,
Just hang in there John,
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

JohnG28

I'm on my fourth day now and still going. Thanks for all the continued support. Yesterday was tougher, old habits ya know.   Wanted a smoke several times. Old habits and ways.  Found myself in the garage as if it was a week ago. Guess it's going to take some time to get out of the routines but I'll get there.

sandhills

I think the routines are the worst part about it, the physical addiction will go away but the mental part tries to hang in there.  Good job, 4 days is a GREAT start I hope it gets easier for you everyday.

Shotgun

You certainly have a lot of support here, John.  Hang in there, and you be happy someday soon that you did.

Norm

JohnG28

Well I'm still going strong, day six today, a full week tomorrow!  I can't say it's been easy, but not unbearable either. I have never gone this long without a smoke, so I have impressed even myself here.  My wife is very happy and can't believe I have come this far on my own.  I look forward to getting my senses back, sure have been eating more.  I would really like to get rid of this cough but I think time will help with that.  Surely will not get worse! Another day ahead of me but I'm getting better at dealing daily. 

Magicman

Congratulations on the almost a week and for regaining control of your life.   :)

Raider Bill

Paper Maker

It want be long and you'll smell stale smoke on someone or their car and think that used to be me. You'll find out just how bad old cigarette smoke stinks.  Keep up the hard work.

martyinmi

Way to go, John.
I smoked for more than 34 years, and in my mind, there was not anyone more addicted than me. My kid, who was 8 at the time(I was 48) said three things that made me finally decide to quit.
1) Dad, do you want to watch me graduate?
2) Dad, don't you want to see me get married?
3) Dad, don't you want to be around to see your grand kids?
I made a promise to him to try as hard as I could to quit the next week after we finished chopping 2'nd cutting hay. In the interim, he went behind my back and asked his grandma(my mom) and his aunts(my sisters) to pray for me, and of course they told everyone else what was going on, so I had dozens of folks praying for me. The first five or six days were tough, but after that, it got much easier.
You are past the hard part now. I'm sure everyone who knows you personally is very proud of you. I will speak for everyone here and say that we are all proud of you.
My son(he's almost 10 now) came up behind me a few weeks ago while I was on the computer and wrapped his arms around me and told me that he was so proud of me for quitting. That, my friend, is priceless!

Keep up the great work.

Marty 
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

jander3

Stay with it.  I quit when i was 25; I am 51 now.  Best thing I ever did. 

The first 6 months sucked.  Stayed busy, jogging, biking, and building.   

Jon

thecfarm

It's been a week now!!!!  8)   8)   I found out it was much easier for me now when I made it too a week, I had never quit that long before. Keep away from the smell of the smoke for awhile longer. Don't even think,well I can have just one.  ::)

DoubleD

Congratulations on your first week  8) 8) 8) Hang in there John  smiley_thumbsup
Wannabe a sawmiller

JohnG28

Thanks everyone. This is the longest I've ever gone and I will not be going back. I can't say enough how much of a help everyone has been, I access the forum on my phone a lot, so I have a support group in my pocket when it gets tough.  Knowing there's so many pulling for me makes it a lot easier. Thank you all.

Shotgun

John,

Keep us posted at least once a week, if you would. We're very interested, and want to offer you on-going support.  Here's hoping that your effort will be successful, as it's very important to you and those who love you.  It's well worth the effort to quit. Hope  you will provide the effort to make that happen.  You'll be all the better for quitting.

Regards,

Norm
Florida & Michigan

Shotgun

Uhhhhhh, the devil made me do it.      teeter_totter

Church Sign

"How will you spend Eternity?
                    Smoking or Non-smoking?"

Norm

jim king

I am a die hard smoker and quite several times.  Last time being for 6 years.  Then after the docs told me I was going to die in six months I said to hell with it all and went back to 100 a day of locol rolled made from wild river tobacaco and plenty of rum.

That was several years ago.  Here they still cost $1 a hundred and if I had to pay $10 a pack that might make me think about it differently.  Our vet just came from Havana and brought some cigars that are a cross between chocoloate and a pipe.  Never had any thing so good.  Well maybe not that good.

Long ago I made the decision that I am going to do what I want when I want and die when I am still alive and in control .  Not going to find me in one of those olds folks homes that are nothing but holding pens for the graveyard.

gspren

here is a good Bull story that you can use after you have gone awhile without a smoke, I have told it to a few people that I only see sporadicaly when they ask how I quit. "I was smoking about 2 packs of Camels a day when I got called to do an undercover govt job in Egypt. After a few days my cig supply ranout so I asked a local where I could buy a pack of Camels, he pointed to a big building on the edge of the small town so I strolled down and asked about the Camels. His english wasn't that good but I think he understood and then he asked how big of a pack I wanted so I said I usually get 20 to a pack, He scribbled awhile with his pencil and came up with $2,600.00 for one pack of Camels! I HAD to quit."

PS; this story works good for me because I did work for the Army Research Laboratory for 26 years.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

JohnG28

Shotgun, thank you for your concern.  I'm doing OK still.  I have been away in the Adirondacks with my wife for the weekend and just relaxing. I will post some pictures from my computer when home. Jim, I understand your philosophy also. But I now refuse to be at the whim of a cigarette in its American incarnation. Im done and happy for it. 8)

Norm

thecfarm

Good job John.
Say what you want Jim,but I do want to live a good life.Quitting was one of the ways of making sure I live a good long life. Just like not wearing safety gear cutting wood. Some don't wear it and will live a long life with no scars or injuries. Others no not.

chain

I think you have to be motivated as when we were expecting our first child, something came over me and that little voice said,"chain, you owe it to your children not to smoke!" Right then and there, I rolled down the window of my truck and threw out my pack of cigs [littered I did]..and lighter....and went home and trashed a carton. I kept a pack of doublemint gum in my shirt pocket, everytime I had the urge I just chewed a half-stick of gum.

Funny part is, even after a couple of years I would have a dream that I sneaked a smoke and felt so ashamed I would awake, relieved it was not true and only a dream!

saltydog

Strangly enough, i was a pall mall non filter smoker 3 packs a day. and chewed beach nut .decided to quit smoking and just never bought any more.was really easy for me.Im lucky i guess.i sure miss the chew but it gives me terrible heartburn now.
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

DoubleD

Two weeks have passed way to go John 8) 8) 8)
Wannabe a sawmiller

melevin

I threw away more half packs of cigs after determining to quit, but it finally took.
I started smoking camels at age 13 and tried to quit at 23. only cold turkey worked for me.

The problem is i,m now 72 and have COPT lung desease from those early years of smoking. Its nasty stuff.
I will say a little prayer for your success.
Regards and stick with it.

thecfarm

melevin,welcome to the forum. Have sawmill,chainsaws, tractors,skidders,ect. Probaly you meant COPD? I have that too. From being a dumb you know what for 10 years or so than working in a factory for 25 years that had smoke in it.

Magicman

Hello melevin, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  How about an intro and a bit more about yourself.   :D

martyinmi

Hey John,
   Is everything still going well? We are all still keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

JohnG28

Hi everyone, I'm sorry that I haven't checked in here in a while. I have been doing well, still keeping at it.  I have been busy as all....well ya know.  I can't say things have been easy, actually have been harder lately. Work has been killing me and seeing others smoke all the time has made it tough. Thank you all for your words and continuing support.  Sorry again that I haven't checked in, but I will continue to as I think I need the help still. Thank you all.

zopi

hang in there! two and ahalf months or so for me...had a pretty bad craving this morning, but that was the first in a week!
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

DoubleD

Don't worry John hang in there  8) you too zopi  ;)
Wannabe a sawmiller

thecfarm

That's just a myth that a cigarette will fix what ever you think is bothering you at that moment. It won't. Than when you are smoking again,throwing money out the window and realizing I really can't afford to smoke,than you have to to all over again. Is that really worth it to go through all that you went through to quit? Not to me it wasn't and isn't. There is no way I will start that nasty,disgusting,money grabber habit again. Hang in there. Some of them smokers are looking at you and wishing that they could do the same thing,but they don't have the will power that you have to do it.

chain

Last words of encouragement...Our preacher smoked! But he was a combat Vet of the Korean War, of course he never lit up in church but one day he told us he needed to quit, he knew smoking was bothering his health...well.. I'd heard that before so I repeated this to him, I said, "preacher, they say 'anyone can start smoking, but it takes a MAN to quit!" He looked at me and said, "buddy, I'll show you something, and he quit right then and there! He is now 86 yrs. young and going strong!

p.s. remember to put a pack of gum in your shirt pocket, chew half-stick, go through all the motions of unwrapping the gum as like you would a pack of cigarettes...soon you will be addicted to chewing-gum! :D

"Tobacco is a filthy weed, one of which you must not succeed,

it robs your pockets, and burns your clothes,

and makes a chimney of your nose!

Shooo... filthy weed!

JohnG28

Thanks guys.  I agree, there's no upside to it.  It's just a drain on money, health, and mental strength.  I'll tell you, as much as I want to I know that there is nothing good about it, and I will feel worse in the end.  A man I worked with a few years back, and who died of cancer last year, once told me about his quitting.  He told me, "I quit almost 25 years ago, and I still can't smell them without thinking, hey, that smells good.  I want one."  He was a great guy.  Goes to show the power of this addiction.  But I will prevail, much thanks to my support group here.

tomsteve

glad to see no count on days! theres only one day ya dont have to smoke and thats today. if necessary take it one minute at a time. it will get easier.
i read in a woodworking magazine about a guy who quit smoking. his wife said if he quit, he could take the money every day and put it in a kitty. when he saved up enough, he could go buy a new tool. he has a pretty well equipped shop now! and it really didnt take him that long.

Roger2561

Quote from: JohnG28 on February 07, 2012, 07:11:35 PM
Thanks guys.  I agree, there's no upside to it.  It's just a drain on money, health, and mental strength.  I'll tell you, as much as I want to I know that there is nothing good about it, and I will feel worse in the end.  A man I worked with a few years back, and who died of cancer last year, once told me about his quitting.  He told me, "I quit almost 25 years ago, and I still can't smell them without thinking, hey, that smells good.  I want one."  He was a great guy.  Goes to show the power of this addiction.  But I will prevail, much thanks to my support group here.

After a 2 and half pack per day habit, I too quit.  I did it "cold turkey".  The first month was my worst.  The crave for a smoke was really bad.  But, I persevered and it'll be 20 years this Thanksgiving since I had a smoke.  It cost an arm and leg back then to smoke, I can not imagine how much it would cost me in today's cost.   So, John, if I can get through the craves, you can too.  Just find something to take the place of the cigarettes.  What I did was take long power walks, drank a huge glass of OJ and began an exercise program.  I'm nearly 51 years old now and run 3 to 4 miles everyday.  I still get the craves for a smoke once in awhile, but big glass of cold water or OJ generally takes care of it.  Good luck!  Roger
Roger

Shotgun

We're coming up on three weeks since you last posted, John. Sure hope that you're still hanging in there.  Let us know.

Norm

mrcaptainbob

I vaguely recall quitting. Sometime in the mid-70's, I believe. It was around nine in the morning. I sort of 'tricked' myself. As there were the times throughout each day that were the regular light-up times, I did something else. Never the same thing two days in a row. My belief was that I did not want to establish a habit to replace a habit. I needed to break the habit, not replace it. It worked for me. The second thing I did, and still do, is to even THINK that I do NOT want to smoke. I never allowed me the luxury to say or think that "I want a smoke". It was always the NOT want. And I also convinced me that I was strong enough willed that I could most likely have a cigarette and go back to not smoking anymore. But....I was not willing to take that chance. What if....? That's how I managed me. And still do. Maybe we each have a a method that works for us. The stars, planets all have to be in the right place, all the cars on the road have to be positioned 'just so'.... It can be done. Stick to it. I know you will meet with success.....

JohnG28

Sorry that I have not checked in here lately. I actually pulled up the general board here this morning looking for this thread and it was right there.  I'm still doing OK here, although still struggling here and there.  I have been doing the work for 3 people the last 5 weeks and just found out yesterday it will be 4-6 more weeks running solo at work.  I'm a student as well so my days are long and busy.  It has proved to be to be a test at times, but I'm still using nicotine gum for cravings. I will get off of that eventually, but for now it is helping. Thank you for the continued support in getting through this!

Shotgun

That's good news, JohnG.  I'm sure that the people in your life really appreciate your effort. Keep it up, and Good Luck.

Norm

Thank You Sponsors!