iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quitting!

Started by JohnG28, January 02, 2012, 08:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bama20a

Heck quitting is easy,I do it ever day ;D,Wife did quit about 6 years ago,I'd go outside to smoke where it won't be tempting her,After 6 years I still don't smoke in my house,
Just hang in there John,
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

JohnG28

I'm on my fourth day now and still going. Thanks for all the continued support. Yesterday was tougher, old habits ya know.   Wanted a smoke several times. Old habits and ways.  Found myself in the garage as if it was a week ago. Guess it's going to take some time to get out of the routines but I'll get there.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

sandhills

I think the routines are the worst part about it, the physical addiction will go away but the mental part tries to hang in there.  Good job, 4 days is a GREAT start I hope it gets easier for you everyday.

Shotgun

You certainly have a lot of support here, John.  Hang in there, and you be happy someday soon that you did.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

JohnG28

Well I'm still going strong, day six today, a full week tomorrow!  I can't say it's been easy, but not unbearable either. I have never gone this long without a smoke, so I have impressed even myself here.  My wife is very happy and can't believe I have come this far on my own.  I look forward to getting my senses back, sure have been eating more.  I would really like to get rid of this cough but I think time will help with that.  Surely will not get worse! Another day ahead of me but I'm getting better at dealing daily. 
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Magicman

Congratulations on the almost a week and for regaining control of your life.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Paper Maker

It want be long and you'll smell stale smoke on someone or their car and think that used to be me. You'll find out just how bad old cigarette smoke stinks.  Keep up the hard work.

martyinmi

Way to go, John.
I smoked for more than 34 years, and in my mind, there was not anyone more addicted than me. My kid, who was 8 at the time(I was 48) said three things that made me finally decide to quit.
1) Dad, do you want to watch me graduate?
2) Dad, don't you want to see me get married?
3) Dad, don't you want to be around to see your grand kids?
I made a promise to him to try as hard as I could to quit the next week after we finished chopping 2'nd cutting hay. In the interim, he went behind my back and asked his grandma(my mom) and his aunts(my sisters) to pray for me, and of course they told everyone else what was going on, so I had dozens of folks praying for me. The first five or six days were tough, but after that, it got much easier.
You are past the hard part now. I'm sure everyone who knows you personally is very proud of you. I will speak for everyone here and say that we are all proud of you.
My son(he's almost 10 now) came up behind me a few weeks ago while I was on the computer and wrapped his arms around me and told me that he was so proud of me for quitting. That, my friend, is priceless!

Keep up the great work.

Marty 
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

jander3

Stay with it.  I quit when i was 25; I am 51 now.  Best thing I ever did. 

The first 6 months sucked.  Stayed busy, jogging, biking, and building.   

Jon

thecfarm

It's been a week now!!!!  8)   8)   I found out it was much easier for me now when I made it too a week, I had never quit that long before. Keep away from the smell of the smoke for awhile longer. Don't even think,well I can have just one.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DoubleD

Congratulations on your first week  8) 8) 8) Hang in there John  smiley_thumbsup
Wannabe a sawmiller

JohnG28

Thanks everyone. This is the longest I've ever gone and I will not be going back. I can't say enough how much of a help everyone has been, I access the forum on my phone a lot, so I have a support group in my pocket when it gets tough.  Knowing there's so many pulling for me makes it a lot easier. Thank you all.

Shotgun

John,

Keep us posted at least once a week, if you would. We're very interested, and want to offer you on-going support.  Here's hoping that your effort will be successful, as it's very important to you and those who love you.  It's well worth the effort to quit. Hope  you will provide the effort to make that happen.  You'll be all the better for quitting.

Regards,

Norm
Florida & Michigan

Shotgun

Uhhhhhh, the devil made me do it.      teeter_totter

Church Sign

"How will you spend Eternity?
                    Smoking or Non-smoking?"

Norm

jim king

I am a die hard smoker and quite several times.  Last time being for 6 years.  Then after the docs told me I was going to die in six months I said to hell with it all and went back to 100 a day of locol rolled made from wild river tobacaco and plenty of rum.

That was several years ago.  Here they still cost $1 a hundred and if I had to pay $10 a pack that might make me think about it differently.  Our vet just came from Havana and brought some cigars that are a cross between chocoloate and a pipe.  Never had any thing so good.  Well maybe not that good.

Long ago I made the decision that I am going to do what I want when I want and die when I am still alive and in control .  Not going to find me in one of those olds folks homes that are nothing but holding pens for the graveyard.

gspren

here is a good Bull story that you can use after you have gone awhile without a smoke, I have told it to a few people that I only see sporadicaly when they ask how I quit. "I was smoking about 2 packs of Camels a day when I got called to do an undercover govt job in Egypt. After a few days my cig supply ranout so I asked a local where I could buy a pack of Camels, he pointed to a big building on the edge of the small town so I strolled down and asked about the Camels. His english wasn't that good but I think he understood and then he asked how big of a pack I wanted so I said I usually get 20 to a pack, He scribbled awhile with his pencil and came up with $2,600.00 for one pack of Camels! I HAD to quit."

PS; this story works good for me because I did work for the Army Research Laboratory for 26 years.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

JohnG28

Shotgun, thank you for your concern.  I'm doing OK still.  I have been away in the Adirondacks with my wife for the weekend and just relaxing. I will post some pictures from my computer when home. Jim, I understand your philosophy also. But I now refuse to be at the whim of a cigarette in its American incarnation. Im done and happy for it. 8)

Norm

thecfarm

Good job John.
Say what you want Jim,but I do want to live a good life.Quitting was one of the ways of making sure I live a good long life. Just like not wearing safety gear cutting wood. Some don't wear it and will live a long life with no scars or injuries. Others no not.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chain

I think you have to be motivated as when we were expecting our first child, something came over me and that little voice said,"chain, you owe it to your children not to smoke!" Right then and there, I rolled down the window of my truck and threw out my pack of cigs [littered I did]..and lighter....and went home and trashed a carton. I kept a pack of doublemint gum in my shirt pocket, everytime I had the urge I just chewed a half-stick of gum.

Funny part is, even after a couple of years I would have a dream that I sneaked a smoke and felt so ashamed I would awake, relieved it was not true and only a dream!

saltydog

Strangly enough, i was a pall mall non filter smoker 3 packs a day. and chewed beach nut .decided to quit smoking and just never bought any more.was really easy for me.Im lucky i guess.i sure miss the chew but it gives me terrible heartburn now.
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

DoubleD

Two weeks have passed way to go John 8) 8) 8)
Wannabe a sawmiller

melevin

I threw away more half packs of cigs after determining to quit, but it finally took.
I started smoking camels at age 13 and tried to quit at 23. only cold turkey worked for me.

The problem is i,m now 72 and have COPT lung desease from those early years of smoking. Its nasty stuff.
I will say a little prayer for your success.
Regards and stick with it.

thecfarm

melevin,welcome to the forum. Have sawmill,chainsaws, tractors,skidders,ect. Probaly you meant COPD? I have that too. From being a dumb you know what for 10 years or so than working in a factory for 25 years that had smoke in it.

Thank You Sponsors!