iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer LT10 belt tension with new 10hp motor

Started by ntkonn, November 22, 2014, 10:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntkonn

I just upgraded my LT10 with a 10 hp motor.  I used the belt tensioning measuring tool to set the belt tension but apparently got it wrong because the blade would start slipping when I cut to fast.   The previous 7.8 hp motor would bog down if I was cutting to fast.  The new motor hasn't bogged down, but the blade starts slipping if I cut to fast.  I will try to tension the belt again but my question for anyone with a similar setup is:   should the blade ever slip?  If it is slipping is that a sign my belt tension is too loose?  Since the belt tensioning tool hasn't  worked for me should I just keep tightening the belt until the blade stops slipping. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Neal
LT-10 with 10 hp upgrade hobby sawyer

dgdrls

Welcome aboard ntkonn,

Do not over-tighten you'll create other problems with your bearings
Is it possible you don't have the saw band tensioned enough?
The only time I had slip with my LT 10 was after the
drive belt initially "set" after the first couple logs were sawn.

Best DGDrls

thecfarm

ntkonn,welcome to the forum. What's the lumber being used for?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum, ntkonn,  You might be trying to mill too fast.  When I had a LT10, I never experienced any slipping, but I milled slow.  Sawing is the only break you get with a manual mill.  So I would make it last.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, ntkonn.

I am not familiar with the LT10, but you seem to be asking about two different things.  Motor drive belt tension and blade tension.  I do not see that one would affect the other, but both need to be proper.  You do not want either to slip.

Filling in some location information, etc. in you profile will help with future questions.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MartyParsons

Hello,

Below is what the manual states. When you push the engage tension handle over it should have some resistance or snap over.

( so we never know if a guy has small arms or large guns how much resistance is "some" that is what the tension tool is used for).

There is pictures in the operators manual to help also.

The engine drive belt should not slip in the cut the engine should stall before the belt slips.

I have seen some customers break the turnbuckle, also check the engine mount pins and put some lube on the slides.

Hope this helps. 

Maintenance Drive Belt Adjustment

5.6 Drive Belt Adjustment

WARNING! Do not for any reason adjust the engine drive belt with the engine running. Doing so may result in serious injury.

Check the drive belt tension every 50 hours of operation and adjust if necessary. The drive belt tension should be 19/64" (7.5mm) with 14 lbs. (6.35Kg) of deflection force.

1.Open the blade housing covers and remove the blade.

2.Move the blade engage lever to the ON position to tension the belt. Measure the belt tension and adjust if necessary.

3.To adjust the belt tension, use the turnbuckle underneath the engine. Loosen the turn-buckle jam nuts and turn the turnbuckle to tighten or loosen the belt. Tighten the turn-buckle jam nut.

"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

ntkonn

I am in North Carolina near Raleigh.  I use the wood for hobby woodworking.  I have made several tables and shelf units and plan on making more.  I saw mostly loblolly pine and oak with some poplar (tulip tree).  I have also sawed maple, sycamore, cherry, walnut and beech.  But that has been rare and they have been very small logs.   I saw as a hobby, I have a regular job so can only saw on weekends during the winter.  I enjoy sawing for 2 or 3 hours, after that it gets to be work. 

As I think about my problem, I realized that the blade is slowing down which means the drive belt must be slipping on the drive pulley (sheave?), which is why I suspect it's not tight enough.  If someone with a similar mill experiences the motor bogging down versus the blade slowing down, that would confirm for me that the belt is too loose.  I watched woodmizers video on how to use the belt tensioning tool after I tried it the first time.  I will try again and see if I have more success. 

I think I am  just going to have to get used to the more powerful motor and learn the 'feel' of it.  The previous motor would bog down if I tried to cut to fast and I would know to slow down.

Neal

bandmiller2

Neal, sometimes wile a "Vee" belt looks good it can be glazed or worn enough to bottom out in its groove causing slippage. Is there a single belt or a pair.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ntkonn

It's a single belt, brand new, came with new motor.

Thank You Sponsors!