iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

took a trip, sold the mill, went to the farm........ (WELCOME KEN!!!!!!!!!!!)

Started by Part_Timer, November 14, 2005, 09:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Part_Timer

Well I sold my WM to a guy in Virginia so a friend of mine and I packed it up and drove down to the farm to do some camping/hunting this weekend.  I thought you might like to see some pictures of the trip

these are a couple of pictures of the farm and driveway to get to it

here is Ken Hardy sawing on his new mill and us loading it.  Ken is a lurker around here and I hope he will join and let us knwo how he is getting along with it.  Chris and I cut down a cherry that had a bad case of rot.  we thought that some of it would be good but no such luck.  Oh well Ken got to cut on it anyway.

And lastly what camping trip would be complete with out FOOD.  It has been 20 years since I used a reflector oven to cook but everything turned out just right.  Cornbread,steaks and mac and cheese.  Not bad for camp food

THe weather was perfect.  around 30 deg at night and 65 or so during the day.  Chris even got crazy and climbed to the top of the mountain to see the view but forgot the camera.  Oh well maybe next time.

Hope you got the mill home ok Ken.  Good luck with it.

Tom

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Sprucegum

Reflector oven?

I never seen such a thing - you mean that cornbread cooked that nice just sittin' there like that? No door? No ashes? :o

Part_Timer

Yep It's just that easy.  All you do is keep the flames about as high as the rack the pan sets on and turn the pan about every 5 minutes or so.  That way it rises evenly and you don't get any doughy spots in it.  I didn't even burn the bottom of it.  There are a few ashes but hay that's camping.   ;)

Were taking the scout troop out this weekend and if the weather holds my son is going to try and bake a cake in it.  I'll let you know how it turns out

I now that a few of you self reliant type have used um before.
Peterson 8" ATS.

CHARLIE

Yep, many times when I used to go into the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness in northern Minnesota.  We'd bake fresh bread, biscuits, and cornbread to go along with our meals, which was usually fresh caught fish. 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

sawguy21

Aww , now you both got all of us hungry. Fresh fish for shore lunch, ummmmh
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Don K

Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

CHARLIE

Yep, ain't much better out fishing in the wilderness than a supper of fresh caught fried fish, biscuits baked in a reflecter oven and G R I T S!  Mmmmmmmm Mm!!!  Dats good eatin'! 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

KLH

Tom. I made it home and unloaded the mill with no ploblems. The sawmill runs good, althought I haven't had a lot of time to cut much wood. The LT-15 fits my current needs fine, but I can already see why one day I may want to upgrade. It does seem like cutting wood could become an addiction.

It was a pleasure meeting you and Chris in Saltville. For those that don't know. Tom's place is way UP in the mountains and it was beautiful up there.

Ken Hardy

Part_Timer

Ken first welcome to the forum.  I'm glad you decided to sign up.

Second glad you made it home ok and like the mill.  I'm real glad you bought it. It gave me an excuse to make another trip down there this year.  CHris and I stayed up there and camped out the next two days. What great weather. Chris even climbed to the top of the mountain just for the view.
   When I come down next summer we're bringing the swing mill with us.  If ya want to try it you can come over and we'll cook some lunch and cut a few logs ;)

Good to meet you and good luck.

Tom Doepker
Peterson 8" ATS.

Thank You Sponsors!