iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New member's intro comments

Started by lamimartin, June 11, 2014, 10:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lamimartin

Hi,
I just discovered this forum as I was chasing for a source of self releasing snatch block for the tractor's logging winch I just purchased (used). I just purchased a 130,000 sq feet of maple bush over here in Qc that I currrently prepare for construction of my new house in the next two years. Considering the long term need of a modest tractor, adding a PTO driven winch appears to me the only way to prepare the area and maintain the properly by myself.

Both my Dad and grandfather were loggers (with horses, not tractors). I'm a Registred Nurse, preparing for retirement in a few years. The forestry forum will really help me plan and get deeper into technical matters that I need to learn in a hurry.  :P

I hope you will be patient with me, and don't hesitate to have a good laugh at my stupid questions... I'm diving into forestry as a back to roots and nature project. I've got a ton of things to learn about and already quite a few things I am comfortable with (like my Stihl MS261 chainsaw...)

I hope to have fun with you guys in the next few years to come !

Best regards,

Martin

1964 Oliver 550 tractor, 41hp with custom loader and roof. Interforst SW6600 PTO driven 3tons winch. Stihl MS660 for Logosol M8 Sawmill and Stihl MS261 for firewood.

Magicman

Hello lamimartin, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   I wish the the best with your new adventure.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

justallan1

Welcome to the forum, Lamimartin.
There's a bunch of great people here. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Allan

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Lamimartin.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

goose63

Welcome to the Forum Martin the only stupid question is the one you don't ask 
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

sandhills

Welcome Martin, and to contradict what goose said, the only stupid questions are the ones I ask  :D  :D

yukon cornelius

welcome martin! we are trying the same type of back to the roots life also. it has been a long hard road it seems but most days it is amazing. we bought 30 acres in southern missouri in aug. of 2012 that is so thick with hardwood and cedar, we had no idea what we even had. well here we are going on 2 years later with a big shop, a cabin, sawmill shed, and a house that we logged-milled-built ourselves. we started with some livestock but we were not ready for them (we didn't even have water onsite) so we sold all of them. we will be revisiting livestock in the near future. we are raising 2 boys here and trying to make a living off our land. it has been a blessing but a struggle.

I love to here more people are doing this! this forum is full of vey smart people willing to offer advice freely. just ask and you shall receive. we all like to see pictures of projects and progress.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

lamimartin

Have a look at my initial equpment completed in lamimartin's new Gallery
I'm working on inserting pictures in posting
1964 Oliver 550 tractor, 41hp with custom loader and roof. Interforst SW6600 PTO driven 3tons winch. Stihl MS660 for Logosol M8 Sawmill and Stihl MS261 for firewood.

Bill Gaiche

SawyerBrown

Welcome, lamimartin!  I'd suggest to avoid asking stupid questions, review my posts first, because I probably beat you to it!   ;D
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

lamimartin

First attempt to post a picture of my tractor, ready to start serious logging.

thecfarm

That looks good. You will like the winch.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lamimartin

Here is the other side of the beast: 41HP is plenty to drive the 3 tons winch that can pull very large logs to solid ground, so I have very little chances to get stuck out in the mud. Even if I did get stuck, the winch has plenty of power to pull me out of trouble.

This tractor is fitted with an overbuilt subframe to support the heavy duty loader and protective roof. Each rear wheel has a pair of cast iron weight to balance the loader.

Only serious limitation: This tractor front end was designed only to support a small bucket load of manure. Consequently, I must be very gentle on the steering if I put any significant weight on the large bucket.  OK for snow and to carry bits and pieces, but for gravel, I must be very conservative. Once loaded, I only steer in motion or I put the bucket on the ground first.  Other than that, this tractor is very rugged and reliable.

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Everyone on here knows something about nearly every subject. Together it adds up to a tremendous resource of knowledge. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Hilltop366

Greetings, you have a good start on things with the tractor and winch, stay safe.

thecfarm

I suppose a manual came with it? How to use it and not to use it? I made up some 4 foot chains. I use them as much as my 8 foot ones.I  brought three 8 foot chains and 6 hooks. I cut a lot of small stuff too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lamimartin

Quote from: thecfarm on June 16, 2014, 09:53:22 PM
I suppose a manual came with it? How to use it and not to use it? I made up some 4 foot chains. I use them as much as my 8 foot ones.I  brought three 8 foot chains and 6 hooks. I cut a lot of small stuff too.
I've got ALL users, shop manuals and parts manuals both on paper and DVD.  This is a must to order parts and keep the beast in good  shape. The previous owner was a retired mechanic who had split transmission, replaced the main clutch, the PTO clutch, the steering box, the steering hydraulics, etc. So it works like a new tractor.  I was fortunate to get wise recommendations from this old mechanic (Do's and don'ts) .  He used this tractor as a toy for clearing up snow and as a landmower at his cottage. He bought something bigger with a heated cabin because he wanted to get to the cottage later into the season clearing up several miles of country roads, which this beast is not ideal for.

As for the choker chains, I've got two 8 feet for now, and material to make many more as I adjust to the work in progress. My first job is to clear fallen trees to make room for the second step: piling up large logs I will have processed into a portable saw mill this fall. I will also stock up maple for firewood (my property is mainly a maple bush).  Right now, I have to fit a stabilizer bar on the 3 points to prevent lateral swing of the winch. I've got the bars, but the pin on the winch are bigger than the bar holes and just a bit too short to fit in. My main concern is to keep the drive shaft in alignment when operating under load.

glassman_48

welcome lamimartin,
This forum has been a great source of information for me.  Nice tractor, stay safe with it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ed

mesquite buckeye

Bring it down to Tucson and you can help us skid saguaros. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

lamimartin

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on June 17, 2014, 10:53:21 AM
Bring it down to Tucson and you can help us skid saguaros. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Wood that grows needles is usually great as construction wood, but I can't process anything with spikes on a sawmill.  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!