Started by Woodhauler, December 06, 2015, 08:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carson-saws

In a "shootout"  it is my opinion that "wounding" is NOT an option
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

gimpy

Quote from: Carson-saws on May 24, 2016, 09:34:10 AMIn a "shootout"  it is my opinion that "wounding" is NOT an option

Wounding? I like my chances with my 5" 22mag with 31 rounds and almost no recoil. I can hit my target reliably and I can't imagine having any complaints. I'm just saying.
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

DelawhereJoe

And even if you don't hit them with that .22 mag the report from the gun will cause them to go deaf.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Raider Bill

I figure I am going to find a extra large hardwood tree and hide behind it while the shootings going on. ;)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

sandsawmill14

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on May 25, 2016, 01:18:39 PM
And even if you don't hit them with that .22 mag the report from the gun will cause them to go deaf.

just get a 460 and all you have to do is shoot close ;D :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

DelawhereJoe

.460 s&w....waste of time, just go with a .50 bmg pistol. One shot you take out your target, there vehicle, a brick wall 3 houses and someone else's car. http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/02/10/50-bmg-single-shot-handgun/

sandsawmill14

went with the 460 mag because of the ammo it will shoot 45 colt 454 casual and the 460
after shooting the 460 there is no way i would shoot the 50 bmg no_no besides it only holds 3 shots :) ( if you believe everything on the internet i have never seen one  ;D )

DelawhereJoe

I also recall seeing a 45-70 5 shot revolver somewhere online too....it could have been 4 rds...but if you can't take it out with the 1st rd of 45-70 its allowed to eat you.

sandsawmill14

:D :D :D i agree with you on that  :D :D :D

Magicman

If something is gonna eat you, save the last shot for yourself.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

:D :D Slim, a late neighbor and good friend of ours always said "if a bear ever comes after me I've got him for 50 yards, then I'll have to turn around and fight, 50 yards is all I got"  :D.  He was very obese but I think he might of won the fight. 

Carson-saws

Raider Bill.... :D like your answer but....you can run..but ya can't hide

hbeane

Just my 2 cents..... I used to love to carry large caliber pistol for CCW. But now i am a huge fan of a 380.  I would not trade my sig p238 for anything  only problem is if i need it its so comfortable i may forget its there.. Also i have a bersa thunder 380.  Its great too, single double action and even has a decocking lever.  I own alot of pistols and i shoot my bersas the best. The 380, 9mm both are great.  Just picked up a keltec 22 mag.  This is a great gun. still carry my sig 380 everyday..
Woodmizer LT15
1949 John Deere M
025 Stihl
250 Stihl
290 FarmBoss Still
C400 Echo
Honda 300 Fourtrax

Ron Scott

I like the Bersa thunder 380 also. A good shooter and a light weight carry.
~Ron

ppine

A couple of years ago I bought a Ruger LCR in .357 mag. It weighs one pound, so it gets carried a lot and works well for backpacking. 
Forester

Czech_Made

Most often the "manly" gun - Ruger LCP. ;D ;D

GP100 for backpacking and bowhunting.

ppine

I was doing a timber survey in SE Alaska  back in 1980.  I was working in an area full of salmon streams, with a high density of bears.  I ran into a set of tracks made by one of the coastal browns that was a foot across. I looked down at the Ruger SBH .44 mag on my hip and just about wet my pants. I carried rifles after that.  We saw bears every day, but most were black bears.  The coastal browns were not that hard to deal with as long as they were well fed.
Forester

goose63

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on May 26, 2016, 12:57:03 PM
I also recall seeing a 45-70 5 shot revolver somewhere online too....it could have been 4 rds...but if you can't take it out with the 1st rd of 45-70 its allowed to eat you.

B F R 5 shot and I'm not big enough to shoot it :D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

ppine

For a woods gun, there is always the possibility of an argument with a bear or moose.  Even in the Eas,t a .357 mag ought to be the minimum caliber.  In the West, I carry a smith 629 in .44 mag a lot. For Alaska and BC a rifle is much better. I like the modern .45/70 and carry a Marlin.

No discussion of carrying firearms in the woods without mention of understanding how to act around wildlife. If you are running a saw they are going to be aware of your presence.  Cruising or surveying are examples of quiet stealthy activities where you many be focused on the timber or task at hand. Part of your brain needs to focus on situational awareness.  It is important to make noise and let them know you are coming. Especially around riparian areas, thickets and places with low visibility.  I like to sing in a loud voice.  Working in Alaska in Sitka spruce and western hemlock the area received 150 inches of rain a year. It is so thick that the average bear sighting is less than 50 yards, often much less.  If they know you are there, the chances of startling one is much less. Use your brain and the chances of needing a firearm are much reduced. Bear spray is a great thing to have on your belt ready to use in tight quarters. My personal opinion is that a .380 or 9mm is really a bad idea in a close wildlife encounter.
Forester

Carson-saws

DelawhereJoe

At what point do we split this topic up and form a woods carry and concealed carry, or is it not worth it?

ppine

since this is a Forestry Forum, concealed carry should be not important at all.
Forester

Texas Ranger

Texas has open carry, I am not a fan of that, so, in the woods, I carry concealed.  My employer of the day may not care to see an armed individual on his property.  Or his neighbors, or the sheriffs patrol.....just saying.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

submarinesailor

I don't know (or can't remember) if this has been posted or not.  I ran across it earlier today and thought it was very well written: 

"I stand behind you in line at the store with a smile on my face...and a gun under my shirt and you are none the wiser, yet you are safer for having me next to you. I won't shoot you. My gun won't pull it's own trigger. It is securely holstered with the trigger covered. It can't just go off. However, rest assured that if a lunatic walks into the grocery store and pulls out a rifle, I will draw my pistol and protect myself and my family and therefore protect you and your family. I may get shot before I can pull the trigger...but, I won't die in a helpless blubbering heap on the floor begging for my life. No, if I die it will be in a pile of spent shell casings. I won't be that victim. I choose not to be. As for you, I don't ask you to carry a gun. If you are not comfortable, then please don't. But I would like to keep my right to choose to not be a helpless victim. There is evil in the world and if evil has a gun, I want one too..."

Bruce

Thank You Sponsors!