iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustintheblood

Staying steady and hammering out loads pretty much every day.  Now when I mean "loads", all things are relative but so far so good.  Haven't busted anything, so it's been a good couple of weeks.

Snow's rather deep here too.  Normally we don't get a heck of a lot, but it's waist deep in places and snotty & thick, so first approach to the stems is a bit of a slog.
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

BargeMonkey

@nativewolf what I would give to cut good wood in NO snow... 😆 

ehp

ya , I'm cutting junk wood for me and snow to about me knees but that could change tomorrow with this heat , today I cut mainly black oak and its not good stuff , Its strange on how much difference I see it timber with tree types and size in just moving 5 miles either way . Head west and see very little black oak or locust 

nativewolf

Quote from: BargeMonkey on February 23, 2021, 08:11:11 PM
@nativewolf what I would give to cut good wood in NO snow... 😆
Wait wait...this is our snow pic!  Tomorrow it is 60+ and it will all be gone.  Ok, actually it was 2" of sleet.  Not bad to get around on (bit icy) but a lot of moisture.  Ground is just springs with water just oozing out of any track.  We got a load out by 8am and that was it.  Just dropped from then on.  
I'm sure this is nothing new for you guys but last winter we had almost no moisture from Jan to April.  Like 4 days off due to weather and it was all rain.  This winter has hovered right around freezing, keeps ground from absorbing but by 9 am it is usually mud.  
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

Quote from: BargeMonkey on February 23, 2021, 08:11:11 PM
@nativewolf what I would give to cut good wood in NO snow... 😆
Well youd have to start with giving NY the finger... 

;D
Praise The Lord

Walnut Beast

Is this how you cut your trees up high 😂

nativewolf

Not sure about anyone else but I  thought about it, used can be cheap- too cheap.  I need to talk to someone that owns one but it is a 5 year sort of itch to scratch.  Dustin would laugh but at 400 a walnut I think it could pay for itself ona couple of stands we manage 
Liking Walnut

dustintheblood

Zoom and bucket would just take all the fun out of things!    Headed up to a site today to check out a big nasty pine removal at a cottage.  Easing into actually charging for my time now.

Sugar season's coming on hard & fast here, so I gotta get my own logging done and did asap

In fact there's a big sugarbush about 40 min north of here that was tapping a week ago which is really early.  In fairness, they have about 20,000 taps so they can't drill in a day.
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

BargeMonkey

Im not advocating putting in stupid hours but sometimes its got to be done. To some people an extra 700 isn't alot of money, 🤷‍♂️ pulpman texted me again last night at 730, "you ready again, thats 3 in a row, 4 in 6 days, and will be back again daylight 30 on Friday. Yup... i will be ready... watching the sun come up 😆. 

Going to be one of the next pieces of ink I get, theres alot of truth to this ☝️. 
 Hammer the driveway in, we make a #3-#4 crushed item, got most of the base in today, roll out fabric in the morning, 

my quarry is literally 1.5 miles away, NYC paid for the first 150yds and the fabric... 🤷‍♂️ going to have an extra special driveway 😆 bring my Prentice down and HAMMER up a woodpile, I want to be done here in 10-14days. I should have bought a ProPac yrs ago... 

Walnut Beast

Well if we went to visit Barge,  there would be non stop action, you would get your a** put to work and he would take care of you with plenty of beverages to enjoy 😂.  Get the Tat!!! Awesome 

barbender

Barge, get that tat on your neck and a couple gold crowns on your front teeth. Nice gold chain with a "BM" pendant wouldn't hurt, either😂
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

Anyone else think that if Barge was a tad bit older he would have been the 4th member of The Beastie Boys?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

They did sing "Brass Monkey", maybe a little change up is in order?😁
Too many irons in the fire

Firewoodjoe

Been trying to get a few more pics of the mule. That's the 7th skid today. Doing good for being 2:30. Also been getting ready for break up. Have a wet ditch to cross.

dustintheblood

BargeMonkey

Quote from: barbender on February 25, 2021, 12:05:29 AM
Barge, get that tat on your neck and a couple gold crowns on your front teeth. Nice gold chain with a "BM" pendant wouldn't hurt, either😂
One of our deck hands when I worked on the lakes had a row of gold teeth and wore a clock just like flavor flav, he was like 5'3" and from NOLA. We used to spend alot of time in the Rouge in Detroit, not exactly a great place to be, needed 2 people to get off the boat there and I always took him 😆 One of our tankerman got robbed and stabbed at the bodega, goodtimes. 
Quote from: Southside on February 25, 2021, 12:30:00 AM
Anyone else think that if Barge was a tad bit older he would have been the 4th member of The Beastie Boys?  :D
I rocked the Licensed to ILL album all the way from Muskegon to Brooklyn, hence "No sleep till Brooklyn. Still great music. 

dustintheblood

Yeah, so the thing that I love about this forum is the perspective of everyone from the deep south to the deep north.  A full and complete and real and honest view of what we all face every day in real time.

no bs  no pretention no games 

We are all doing what we do and doing it the best we can in the best way we know.

BargeMonkey

Wasnt a good day, wasnt a bad day. Ive heard about these new Bluetooth wireless Rotobec grapples, I got one today 😆 that poor barko just isnt mean to be slashing behind a stroker. I looked down, I was like..... ugh.... yeah.... trying to crank out the last 30-40 better trees before the buyer came. 

I had some that was GOOD wood but 75% of this was rough or ok SM and I still averaged almost 700, 

Wood was buried in the snow, pick them up and just keep dropping them. 

4ld in the dark tonight. Mike Belban can tell you dropping off the mountain here loaded truck can quickly become a life changing experience 😆  Ive got a couple firewood guys screaming for wood, im going to pound this job out next week, ground gives out just live in the truck, between firewood, hemlock and pine sawlogs ive got 18-20ld stacked up, 15ld on my other job, 200ld isn't going to be hard to come by this yr, I should have bought a Propac yrs ago. 

ehp

Barge she is raining quite hard here this morning so I'm going to the fishing store to get stuff for this season lol

nativewolf

Quote from: dustintheblood on February 27, 2021, 12:14:57 AM
Yeah, so the thing that I love about this forum is the perspective of everyone from the deep south to the deep north.  A full and complete and real and honest view of what we all face every day in real time.

no bs  no pretention no games

We are all doing what we do and doing it the best we can in the best way we know.
Right you are and well said!
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Quote from: ehp on February 27, 2021, 06:34:17 AM
Barge she is raining quite hard here this morning so I'm going to the fishing store to get stuff for this season lol
Happy Bday!  
Pouring here and the ground had just dried up enough yesterday to get a truck in :(.  Looks like a full inch today and tomorrow.  Monday is the annual colonoscopy so it looks like a 3 day weekend.  
Spent yesterday disabling the cylinder that adjusts the bunk length.  We had a suspect leak somewhere and finally figured out it was the cylinder itself, since we don't use it we just capped everything, bit of a pain to get the hoses off the hose bank located  between the crane and hydraulic/fuel tank.  Only one hose is leaking now so for sure we'll blow a couple next week after I get back to work.  
Liking Walnut

PoginyHill

Cutting a road through a stand to be managed for eastern white cedar. Targeted for removal: red maple for firewood, popple (some logs, some firewood), and some mature fir. Pulling 5 stems of fir out here, two 32ft and three 16ft.

My winter set-up includes wooden scabbards for chainsaws where the FEL mounts.

Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

olcowhand

Happy Birthday, Ed!
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Skeans1

Quote from: nativewolf on February 27, 2021, 06:59:51 AM
Happy Bday!  
Pouring here and the ground had just dried up enough yesterday to get a truck in :(.  Looks like a full inch today and tomorrow.  Monday is the annual colonoscopy so it looks like a 3 day weekend.  
Spent yesterday disabling the cylinder that adjusts the bunk length.  We had a suspect leak somewhere and finally figured out it was the cylinder itself, since we don't use it we just capped everything, bit of a pain to get the hoses off the hose bank located  between the crane and hydraulic/fuel tank.  Only one hose is leaking now so for sure we'll blow a couple next week after I get back to work.  
Capping it is probably fine but there's a chance without anywhere for the fluid to escape you could bend or split that cylinder open. If I have something like that happen I'll either use a union to join the hose together or yank the whole cylinder off.

nativewolf

Quote from: Skeans1 on February 27, 2021, 09:00:20 AM
Quote from: nativewolf on February 27, 2021, 06:59:51 AM
Happy Bday!  
Pouring here and the ground had just dried up enough yesterday to get a truck in :(.  Looks like a full inch today and tomorrow.  Monday is the annual colonoscopy so it looks like a 3 day weekend.  
Spent yesterday disabling the cylinder that adjusts the bunk length.  We had a suspect leak somewhere and finally figured out it was the cylinder itself, since we don't use it we just capped everything, bit of a pain to get the hoses off the hose bank located  between the crane and hydraulic/fuel tank.  Only one hose is leaking now so for sure we'll blow a couple next week after I get back to work.  
Capping it is probably fine but there's a chance without anywhere for the fluid to escape you could bend or split that cylinder open. If I have something like that happen I'll either use a union to join the hose together or yank the whole cylinder off.
We drained the cylinder, we hope.  It was so rusted that we gave up trying to get it out.  We drained the fluid in the line and left the lines attached to the cylinder and capped them.  Hopefully won't split but in July it is going to get replaced (july being our slow season).  If it splits so be it, it looked pretty bad to tell the truth and our Mennonite cylinder shop is super, if I can get this thing off they'll have a new one built out in the same day from scratch.  Can't say enough about having a great cylinder shop within driving distance (long drive but ...still a drive).  
Liking Walnut

Thank You Sponsors!