iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade Can

Started by Magicman, August 07, 2014, 02:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

After over 12 years of use, abuse, and misuse, my "Magic Can" badly needed replacing.  My farmer customer even noticed it Monday and offered me an empty cattle feed container.

I had even riveted a strap across the largest crack to hold it together.

This 32 gallon sized container has an 18" bottom and will work.  (note: 16" bottom will not work.) 

The new container is also much better reinforced on the bottom.

I measured 12" up from the bottom and scribed a cut line.

And then proceeded to cut the bottom off.

The top portion containing the handles also had to be cut off, leaving the center portion unused.

Of course the top is now larger than the bottom. so a 4" section has to be trimmed off to make it fit.

I fitted the top portion inside of the old can, but this one will be on the outside.

I used rivets to connect the two sections together.

Riveted together.  I left the top portion about ΒΌ" higher than the lower.

Here the new can is shown with the scraps that were removed.

And the new can shown with it's old worn out predecessor.  I tried using some Gorilla Tape above the handles and where the split section of the upper portion came together.  If if stays, OK.  If it get's ragged, I will remove it because it was just for looks anyway.  A rubber bungee cord will keep the top on.

Presenting the new Magic Can.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tmarch

Pretty snazzy, nice work.   :)
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Gadrock

I thought it would have been in a different color...hummmmm

David G

carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

Bruno of NH

Mr Magicman ,
Looks great nice work !
Jim Bruno of NH
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Deese

You ain't right Magic  smiley_devilish
But I like it  ;D ;D
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You're killing me Magic.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

21incher

Nice job on the blade can. Another Magicman solution to an age old problem :D
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

hackberry jake

You could've left it the original height if you didn't have a debarker. See how much time not having a debarker would've saved!  stupid_smiley
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

rasman57

That is Old Skool Kool rigging right there.  Making it work with no bells and whistles.  Rivets and tape yes.... but no bells no whistles.    Cool.   :o

drobertson

Using the can now brings on a totally different perspective ;D  nice work, and a great friend and customer for sure,  those cans are very useful. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Deese

Quote from: hackberry jake on August 07, 2014, 06:50:24 PM
You could've left it the original height if you didn't have a debarker. See how much time not having a debarker would've saved!  stupid_smiley
Good One!
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

backwoods sawyer

and you only have one blade can, sharp-dull?? two would make you the double can man ;D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

thechknhwk

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on August 07, 2014, 11:37:34 PM
and you only have one blade can, sharp-dull?? two would make you the double can man ;D

Then everbody would be checkin' out his cans; it may make him a lil uncomfortable.

Magicman

Actually, since the "Magic Can" only holds 10/11 blades, when I am on the road sawing I put a cube of blades in the truck back seat.  I have never used much over 10 blades, but at least I know that they are there.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

BCsaw

Gotta like a man with a plan. Nice to be neat and organized! ;D
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

biggkidd

Nice, clean, lite and, effective!

I like it!  smiley_clapping

Larry
Echo 330 T, Echo 510, Stihl Farm Boss, Dolmar 7900, Jinma 354 W/ FEL, & TPH Backhoe, 1969 M35A2,  1970 Cat D4
Building a Band Mill  :)

Ribsy

Thats a cute Brute, Magic. Nice Job!  8)
Engaged in tree work, tree removal, milling and and processing said product into high quality and well seasoned lumber slabs and firewood.

ARp

Lynn,

Thanks for sharing the Magic Can!  You may see duplicates in Texas.

Thanks  8)

Allen

scsmith42

Quote from: ARp on August 10, 2014, 12:23:45 PM
Lynn,

Thanks for sharing the Magic Can!  You may see duplicates in Texas North Carolina!

Thanks  8)

Allen

Lynn, thanks for the great idea!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Peter Drouin

That's one way to keep blades :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

captain_crunch

guess this is why he be called Magicman
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

backwoods sawyer

A handy can for keeping saws while on the road, I have been using a nursery tree pot for the same reason.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

ljmathias

Another reason I love being stationary: blade goes dull, pop it off, work over to the barn, sharpen it up (I'll set up my setter next week so do that, too), walk back to the mill and back to cutting.  Usually do two or three blades while I stack boards, oil or clean up the mill.  Makes a nice break from cutting noise and vibration.

But you all are right, they don't call him magicman for nothing (or do they?  Inquiring minds are wondering, what magic did he do to get the name in the first place?).

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Magicman

Actually I got it back in the early 70's when I was a telephone co. PBX repairman.  I loved troubleshooting electronics and the other guys thought that I could make problems disappear....like magic.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on August 13, 2014, 10:57:57 PM
Actually I got it back in the early 70's when I was a telephone co. PBX repairman.  I loved troubleshooting electronics and the other guys thought that I could make problems disappear....like magic.

You showed them....you disappeared from the phone company....like magic.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!