iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First paying job

Started by downsouth, July 27, 2014, 06:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

downsouth

I did my first paying job yesterday. Sorry guys I don't have internet just an iPhone. So I can't post pics. I just wanted to share.
   We cut 600bf of pine 1x8 paneling most 16' some 14'
   It took about 6hours,but we had a 1 hour delay cause my power feed was acting up, then a 1 hour lunch break. So..maybe 4ish hours for 600bf on an LT15 in this heat!!!  (It was very hot yesterday)
   I think I will be checking the orange book value, and maybe an upgrade will be happening sooner than originally planed.
  But it was a good day,I actually made some money rather than just cutting for myself,family,and friends.

Dave H.

congrats! im looking forward to the day I actually get paid to cut wood,lol.

Magicman

Yes, the right sawmill at the right price will come along for you.  With some word of mouth and advertising, you should start picking up some sawing jobs. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Good for you. Get your name out there. Planning on a website?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

downsouth

Actually, I have passed on quite a few jobs. With  just word of mouth.
This may sound funny , but I don't want to much as I have a job,kids,cows,and a few other hobbies. Not to mention the manual mill.
   My plan is upgrade the mill, then try to pick up a little here little there, mainly to pay myself back for the new or newish mill. Heading toward retirement having my equipment paid for.
   Maybe a website in the future but for now,no. I have some good contacts around here for cypress and sinker cypress among other things. Start out small,I'm in no hurry.
  Thanks guys, lots of work,but I really enjoy it.

YellowHammer

Good for you.  First paying gig under your belt, and there's always a few adjustments to be made.  Sounds like you had a productive and profitable day.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

YoungStump

Nice going. I can post pictures with my iPhone, would think you should be able to, unless your using an older phone and haven't updated the software.
Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

Thank You Sponsors!