iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need Advice on building Deck over Trailer

Started by PawNature, June 10, 2006, 07:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PawNature

I am going to build a 8 x 14 deck over trailer. Was wanting to know if 6" channel would be heavy enough for the frame. Going to use tandem 3500 axles.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

highpockets

I'd guess it would be ok.  You don't want to get too heavy or you eat up you wheel load capacity with iron.
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

thecfarm

I use to haul my 40hp tractor over here with a trailer that was made out of 4 inch channel.Tractor and all weighted almost 3 ton.Did have 2 axles under it. I fogot what the axles were rated at.This was a 8x16 with a beaver tail.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

PawNature

Actually I would like to use 4" but didn't know if it would be stiff enough. But  sounds like it would work.
Thanks for the replys.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Fla._Deadheader

There's different weights in channel, making them heavier and stiffer.  One I built, I used middle weight.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

rebocardo

There is a big difference between 6" channel depending on thickness. 1/8, 3/16, 1/4.

For a 7,000 pound trailer, 6x2x 1/8 would be enough. Since this actually might see a log or two,  cross bracing within each "box" (instead of just using left to right) might be a good thing. Doubling up the rear cross member would help strengthen the frame.

I think for the two side frame members, if loading logs sideways, I would go with 3/16.

Is this for on road or off road use?

Are you using a 2 5/16 ball, how much should the trailer weigh? You pretty much can go $1 a pound x trailer weight to get your cost. 3/16 weighs much more then 1/8.

imo, If you are going to bother going 8 feet wide, you might as well go 16 feet long so you can fit a vehicle on there as an option at a later date.

If this is just for lawn equipment and such, not logs, then all the cheap dual axle trailers are built with 3 or 4" 1/8 ANGLE. Only the real quality deck overs are built with 6 x 1/4" channel and they cost well over $3000. I use E-Bay to comparison shop.

I assume with a deck over, you are hauling something beefy such as logs, being a foresty forum ?   :)

flip

I'm starting the same project.  I've got some 2X6 square tube 3/16 wall for the frame and laying either 6" I-beam or channel or tube on top of that.  The idea is to get the deck of the trailer just slightly above the tops of the tires so I can parbuckle.  I ordered a tandem axle kit from abctrailers.com, I'm getting a pair of 7,000 electric brake axles to put under it.  Want to use it as a car/tractor hauler if need be but primary as a log hauler.  I'm unsure wether to use a metal deck or wood-advantages-disads?  I'm gonna stay in the 16' or less so I don't get too ambitious. ;)  Pics of other trailers would be great-also any neat design stuff would help.

Flip
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

metalspinner

All these ideas sound alot like my trailer.  Only I didn't build mine :(...but got it cheap :).
This one has a 1/4 steel deck.  I like that alot.  Just be careful using the chain saw on it!
It is built with 4" x 1/4" channel, tips the scale at 2400lbs, and is 6' x 12'.  By the time I load it down it is already beyond my trucks towing capacity.  So, I don't think I will ever find the trailers real limit.   Maybe it's time for a bigger truck! ;D
Here are some pics....

One thing I want to change is the diagonal brace coming down from the front.  It is always in the way.

Here it is loaded down with a big sycamore.....

Notice it shows hardly no compression on the springs.

A few more pics of loading it with logs are in my gallery.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Weekend_Sawyer

I have a nice 8' x 16' flatbed deck over trailer. it used to be 6' x 16' with the wheels on the outside.
The frame is made of 6' channel but I don't know the thickness. I bought 4' Channel, medium I think, and built 1' deck over extensions and then decked the whole thing with 6/4 white oak. The trailer came out to be 3,000lbs and hauls my 7,000lb skid steer fine behind my 96' F350. I put 2 x 7,000lb Dexter axles with elect brakes under it. It is sooooo nice to have good brakes!

I hauled a 9,000lb dozer once but my truck didn't like it!

Jon

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Thank You Sponsors!