iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Starting a sawmill business

Started by bandmiller2, June 20, 2012, 09:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

This is a perenial subject,but important.It takes time to build a customer base don't get discouraged.Folks are nervous and don't know what to expect,talk to them explain board feet and how you charge.I always give the customer a little more than he expects.Be fair,on time,and act professionally.Most of your future customers will be referals and repeat customers.Seems if your not really looking for work it will find you.Any outher advice.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

WDH

The repeat and referral thing is very important. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Delawhere Jack

Make up a photo album of the work you do. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Get some of your photos printed as 4 pics on an 8 1/2 x 11 (?) and put them on bulletin boards at Tractor Supply, farm stores etc. along with a half dozen business cards.

Don't be shy about what you charge for portable custom milling, odds are there is very little competition.

No matter how much the customer insists, refuse to cut on 1/16" increments if you've got manual scales... trust me. :-[

Put together some handouts, just a couple pages, with directions on how to dry wood. Some of your customers will be very "green", and will not have given any thought to this. Leaving a customer on his own to dry his wood will not lead to referals.

Keep an extra quart of Anchor Seal and some cheapie disposable paint brushes in the truck. I offer them to the customer at cost as a goodwill gesture.

Have other sources of income while you build your sawing business.

Measure twice, cut once........

Delawhere Jack

I could really use some tips. I got two jobs right out of the gate, and now not even a nibble in two weeks. I'm feeling like the Maytag repairman.... :'(

customsawyer

Just when you think you have it all figured out you still have a lot to learn. I know I do.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

slider

Very good points so far.Most customers are interested in the process ,some just want the order cut to their specs.When you get on a cant with stress and it's starting to move around on you ,get them in on it .Show them what's going on and how to solve the problem.You would be surprised how many appreciate the fact that you are going to do the job right.good luck  al
al glenn

bandmiller2

Dela Jack,best way to find new business is to plan a vacation or get real involved in a project of your own,they will come in droves. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!