Main Menu

Sponsors:

Poll: Tattoos

Started by Ron Wenrich, July 23, 2006, 09:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

It seems to be pretty popular nowadays.  How many do you have, where are they, why did you get them?

Poll expires 8-6-06
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

stumpy

I have 2. Why I have them and what they are are of only interest to me.  Those who have tattoos know what I mean. Those who don't have them, wouldn't understand why anyone would get one regardless of the design. I don't mean that in a negative way, It's just what I think.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Jeff

Ya know, I have always been dead set against having a tattoo, but it seems lately that my attitudes have been really swinging the other way.  I tell ya what, if someone could show me the design I have in my head, I would consider one now after all this battle with my the use of my shoulders and arms.  I would like to have a tattoo of a circle saw tearing into my left bicep.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Furby

Careful Jeff, my cousin recently started getting them and says they are addicting.
He's on his second or third large one and has several more planned.
From what I've seen of others, it is indeed an addiction. :-\

Jeff

Well, I gots lots of canvas for them to work on if that was to happen. ;D

Furby

There are folks that do their own............

DanG

I have no tattoos, unless you want to count the blue spot in my left ear, where Roy Edwards poked his pencil through there in the fourth grade. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Furby

Well Jeff, I'm guessing we may be able to help ya out at the roast. ;)
I'm thinking maybe a "decorate Jeff" contest. ???
;D 8)

jon12345

I don't have any but I'm not against it, just gonna wait til they invent the painless needle  :D
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Tom

Fred

Love those Tattooos Jeff I think tom can do it!!!
                    Fred
Baker 18M
Woodmaster 718 Planer/ molder

Jeff

THats disgusting.  :D

Radar67

One on the left upper arm. I tend to agree with Stumpy, the symbolism is personal in nature and many wouldn't understand it.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Daren

I have one, I got it almost 20 years ago. I could never get another. Not because I don't like them. I just get nervous setting so long. I don't even go to the barber I used to because he was so slow, no kidding my wife has cut my hair for years just because it bothered to wait in line and have to set in his chair forever while he talked to everyone in the shop instead of just getting the job done.

I used to really like tattoos, now I rarely even notice them on myself or others.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

breederman

I don't have any and won't. The wife and i went camping last weekend and went down to the beach,  seemed like we were the only ones "unadorned".  Some tatoos I like but most of what we saw that day should have stayed covered up. ::)  Come to think of it most of em shoulda stayed covered up even if they had no tats. ;D
Together we got this !

Patty

I don't have one, but I think they are kinda cool, if done right.

I am old, so when I was growing up, tatoos were limited to sailors and bikers, now things are different. I think they are a neat self-expression sort of thing. Kinda like why I have 3 earrings in one ear, and none in the other. Why? Because I can!  :)  Because it is different. It is me expressing my individualism in a subtle sort of way. Tats are cool.  smiley_rainbow_colors
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

getoverit

I got a tatoo about 10 years ago at a classic Chevy show and added to it the following year at the same show. It is just an individual decision and design and I know that nobody else has one just like it. I have considered getting another one, but so far havent done so. Mine is on my upper arm where it isnt seen by others unless I go without a shirt.

I guess I have funny ideas about tats on women, but I'm different like that. I dont particularly like to see a woman with a tat.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

beenthere

For me, a tattoo is like putting bumper stickers on the car, but with the added problem that they can't be removed (if ideas change, one grows up, or whatever might change). If they were removable (like ear rings and other body hardware), I might think different.  :)
I haven't seen a tattoo yet that I thought looked good, or that went beyond just a 'tarnish' to someone's skin and body. 
But I've no problem with anyone who wants one or has one. It's their body, and they can hang a sign on it to announce that if they so feel like it.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

flip

I got one on my right arm I got in Vegas ::)  Don't ask.

The one on my left is the Dalzel family crest, dad's side is Scottish.  It has a neat saying "I dare".  

I won't get anymore not because I don't like them, but they are kinda permanent and I hate to worry about getting them touched up every 20 years.

Flip
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

johncinquo

The good tattoo'ers are "artists".  If you go describe what you want to a good tattoo person, they can draw up exactly what you envision, and maybe a couple versions.  If it doesnt blow your mind and make you say "wow I would like that on my body", then its probably the wrong thing for you.  If they have to trace it from something to be able to do it, they are just another guy with a gun.  Better watch out Jeff, you might end up with one if you start talking about it to people! 

I just saw an old guy with tattoos the other day.  I figured his tats were pretty fresh, all vibrant colors, looked great.  I commented and he said they were over 50 to 30 years old.  He just took great care to avoid the sun and made sure the guy putting them on was knowledgeable and used good ink.  Mine have faded and need to be redone due to many days out in the sun with no sunscreen.  Yeah yeah, living the wild life!
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

thurlow

One of the reality shows (Miami Ink????) on Discovery??  TLC??? is about tattoos.  I've got enough body scars........inadvertent..........that I sure don't need any additional markings.  I do have a ring in my nose; does that count?   Of course it's invisible; some DanG preacher put it there 40-plus years ago.  I've grown so use to it that I'm hardly ever aware that it's there. :D :D :D
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

treecyclers

I have one tasteful and meaningful to me from my days in the Marines.
I earned the title when I graduated boot camp, and being a Marine is in my blood forever.
On my shoulder, I proudly wear my skull with crossed rifles, Marine cover, and USMC beneath it.
Tats are permanent, the same as my being a Marine for life, which is part of hte reason I have it.
It's also a proud reminder of all the good times i had while in, and the good that I was able to do while in the service of my country.
Tats aren't for everyone, and some folks get carried away with them too.
If it works for you, go for it. If not, that's OK too.
Now, if I could get my girlfriend to get one on her lower back......OW! (That would be her smacking me upside the head for even thinking about that!)
Have a great day!
SD
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

Scooby Doo

Well I have 3 tattoos. I have Scooby doo on my right ankle and then on my lower back I have just a design then above the design I have a heart with wings that has the initials TRB and 9-8-05. smiley_crying That one has the most meaning of all and those who know me well enough know what it stands for. So no I am not against tattoos and plan to have more and they are very addicting. :) :) :)
Owner/Operator of a 1986 Wood-Mizer LT30 Manual

IL Bull

Quote from: Patty on July 24, 2006, 07:51:55 AM
I don't have one, but I think they are kinda cool, if done right.

I am old, so when I was growing up, tatoos were limited to sailors and bikers, now things are different.
I don't have any but my wife wants us to buy a Harley when we retire.  I told her I don't think we could stand the tatooing! :o ;D :D
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

Max sawdust

People should do what they want ;)  I have none.  Not a Marine, so can not think of any one symbol I would want on my body to represent my viewpoint the rest of my life. 

max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber