iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

One I don't know

Started by isawlogs, December 22, 2006, 04:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

Here is a tree I have trimed on the farm , fiirst I ever saw one of these ... I'a stumped to know what it is .  ??? ???

Nasty as they come as far as tree goes .. Don't know how many times it got my hat before I was done cutting a few branches . :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Riles

Thorns in pairs, usually black locust. Robinia psuedoacacia.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

isawlogs

I looked at that and this tree don't have the pea fruit  :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Murf

I think it's a whatcha-ma-call-it, but I could be mistooken.

Merry Christmas all the same dere mon ami.....  ;D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

beenthere

Could it be buckthorn?  Rhamnus cathartica

buckthorn
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

isawlogs

I looked both of them up , and I still am stuck with the Je ne sais pas ...

Hey ... you ...  Merry Christmas too  ;D

Beenthere  I lookeed that one up , and no it aint it either , buckthorn has one spike , needle at the end ...

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Looks like a species of Hawthorne. Nasty stuff on abandoned pasture. Quebec hawthorn Craetaegus submollis, or Cockspur hawthorn C. crusgalli, or Holmes hawthorn C. holmesiana or Dotted hawthorn C. punctata. Take your pick. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Their fruit are a lot like rose hips.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

Swamp ..
  I have trouble with them being Hawthorn  ..   the needles start at stump and are all over right to the tip of branches ...  :-\   Then again , not knowing what it is  :P :P :P

Marcel

SwampDonkey

The bark looks familiar. Kind of like apple tree bark. Some hawthorns can grow pretty big to, small trees. Are the buds as broad as they are tall, rounded on top, smooth and shiny? ;)

Black locust in non native, and bark is different.

isawlogs

I dont know about the buds , the peice I have with me is not good enough to tell , Its freezing rain coming down here at this time .. I aint going out to take a pic of the tree  ;)  I will though in the morning .
It might be Hawtorn  , Does it have the needle or prickly things on the trunk as well as on the branches  ???  The books I have here ( mine are in boxes in the barn yet )  dont really help much .  :-\

Marcel

SwampDonkey

They can persist in the bark, but I don't know how long because they dry out and die with age. The only other bush would be honey locust, but that is located between Lake Ontario and Lake Erie in Canada. The buds will speak volumes.

Don't risk the weather tonight, we are suppose to be getting some of that mess tomorrow morning then switching to rain in the afternoon. Was just out awhile ago and the moon is setting in the west, stars shining and no sign of a cloud. Been a beautiful week. Put a few wheel barrels of wood in the shop I had sitting in a small pile outside, another wheel barrel full frozen in the ground.

bitternut

Marcel that looks like what we call locally as a thornapple ( hawthorn of some type ). They usually have small red fruit but most will have dropped by now. Good partridge food but the thorns are tough on tires. They are all over our neck of the woods. Whenever I have the dozer out I always take time to pop a few out of the ground to get some revenge.

WDH

I agree with Swamp, looks like a member of the Rose family, specifically hawthorne.  There are about 1000 species it seems since they hybridize readily.  Many of the experts say that they can be impossible to differentiate because they hybridize so much.  I know that this does not help much as the freezing rain and snow are falling, but if it is a hawthorne, the petals will be clawed.  A clawed petal is wide at the tip with a much thinner slender base.  Characteristic of Rose family.  Oh Spring, where art thou?  Spring flowers wopuld clear up the mystery.  Seems like spring here already (in Georgia).  Today it was 70 degrees and Christmas is two days away.  Crazy.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jon12345

I'd agree with crataegus.  Sometimes they got thorns with thorns growin on them.  Hard, bitter, dime sized fruit. 

Don't cut it down unless you want 10 more growin off the stump  :D 
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

SwampDonkey

:D :D I was on the front of an old abandoned farm a couple years ago. The field had old apple trees growing and just about every other square inch of that old field was hawthorn brush. I said to myself, if ever there was a place for Ogres and Trolls, they must be in there. I had to get through that stuff to measure the timber in behind. Thank goodness for an old road that hadn't gotten over grown yet.  smiley_sweat_drop smiley_devil_trident

isawlogs

Ok .. After looking at this for some time now and looking through all of the books I have here with me and I came to a conclusion this after noon ... its gotta be one of the ones that Swamp mentioned , I just got to wait till spring and see the leaves and the fruit . But definitely a Hawthorn .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Which book ya got isawlogs? I took those species names out of 'Native Trees of Canada', species that grow in your area.

isawlogs

Ya,  did know that my area   Has changed , I am closer to you by a little bit .  :D
I moved to the farm house just before Christmas .

Les Arbres du Canada . Petite flore forestière du Québec  And also from the book of knowledge AKA  Dad Called him up and he told me it was  Aubépine  AKA in english ... Hawthorn  , I learned a long time ago to say yes dad .  :D :D :D So Hawthorn it is .

I am sure you have these in your (re) collection .  ;D ;)  :D

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Yip, I knew ya moved but your still within range.  :D ;D

Thank You Sponsors!