iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

learning to saw

Started by edgerman24, March 28, 2014, 09:34:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saw man john

ok thanks,im running a 60 inch circular saw just dont know how to make chart.

backwoods sawyer

good starting point would be measuring your accual kerf thickness, make a few start cuts in the end of a log keep them fairly shallow (1"-2") and take several measurments. now you have the distance between boards.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Magicman

Your question and my response is why adding your sawmill information to your profile is so useful.  The experienced sawyers can address the question as it pertains to that particular sawmill.  My response was of absolutely no value to you.  Adding your location also helps.   :)

edit:  In re-reading, this sounded critical which was not my intent.  I was just pointing out the value of your profile information to others as they attempt to respond to questions.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

saw man john

I just needed a chart on 8/4 lumber,,i got 4/4 and ties down pretty good I start at 11 1/4 down to 7 ,were fixing to start cutting cypress logs into 2 1/8 inch we don't cut a lot of  8/4 

Jeff

If you are going to be a sawyer, you really need to get this stuff in your head. Every log is different, so your cuts will need to be determined on the fly. If you use a cheat sheet because you are cutting 8/4 are you going to through the lesser dimensions away on the outside of your log? You will if you depend on a cheat sheet. You need to learn how to add and subtract those fractions on the fly. Plus add your kerfs in there as well.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!