iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sticker crazy

Started by sperry, February 16, 2006, 06:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sperry

I'd rather take a beatin than sticker wood. Reminds me of fishin all day then having to clean fish!
I'm cleaning up after having my woods timbered and ending up with alot of random width and length lumber. I don't mind the width but the length is a pain.
Do you guys cut boards any certain length or just do like I've been doing? I have alot of 3'-4' walnut and cherry. Is this worth keeping? Hate to make firewood out of it; it's purdy wood.
Your advice will be helpful

Minnesota_boy

I just finished making a set of upper cabinets for our house.  There isn't a piece in there that is over 3 feet long.  :o  I'd love to have a bunch of 3 or 4 foot walnut or cherry.  You'd be surprised what you can make with them.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

jpgreen

Cleanin' fish is a chore til you learn the right techiques, then it goes fast.  Maybe there's a message in there somewheres..  ;D

I would LOVE to have any hard wood like that.  Any size, don't matter..  :) Standing em' up on end would be better than the burn pile...  :o
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Ianab

Like MB says, if you are making furniture or cabinet doors etc the first thing you do is cut your 8 ft boards up into 1-4 ft parts. With a bit more sorting it's just as easy to do with 4 ft boards  ;)
The shorts are hard to sell commercially because they wont fit into the grading schedule, but if you have a use for them, or know someone that can use em they are worth more than firewood. With nice wood like walnut or cherry I'd dry and use it  ;)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sperry

I thought i"d keep em but 4'- 3', 5'-9", 7'-8" AND ANYWHERE IN BETWEEN. Should I cut them at even foot lengths. Got a bunch of crotches too. All different sizes.

Minnesota_boy

Put stickers where they need to be, like every 18" to 2 feet and let the ends of the boards match and miss.  You can put a short piece of sticker under the end of one that doesn't quite reach the next sticker to keep it from sagging on the end.  Start with the long ones at the bottom, or mix one or 2 short ones in each row with the long ones.  Never put two short ones side-by-side if you're going to have long ones above them because the stickers have to take the weight of the wood above them.  If necessary, I put a short sticker as a spacer where the board should have been just so I can keep piling without worrying about the longer ones above warping.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Ianab

With shorts like that I cut them as long as I can for each log. Let the bends / crotches / defects determine where to cut. As you are making random lengths 4'11" is better than 4' exactly if you follow my thinking.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Part_Timer

I always end up with shorts cause that is mostly what I sell.

80% of what I sell is under 6'.  I ship most of it and if I can keep them under 60" it save on shipping.

When I am bucking the logs in the field I try and cut them at 8'6".  I trim 3" off each end when I go to saw them. Sticker the 8's.   When I'm getting ready to put them in the kiln I take the circ. saw and cut them to 5' and 3' seal the ends and dry them.

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Dan_Shade

hey, Tom, where/how do you sell and ship your lumber?  I should try to get rid of a stack or so of lumber
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

metalspinner

I cut in two foot increments plus a few inches.  This keeps the stick alignment from getting to crazy.  I have an eight foot stack that is six feet wide.  The eight and four footers run one way and six footers are stacked perpendicular.  I guess three footers can go perpendicular as well. Two footers can go where needed.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!