iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Peter Drouin on June 19, 2016, 07:12:45 AM
Jim I did not count the part past the black line.
I was measuring how much cut I get. I think WM counts the last 10" of the mill that's not used when the bx is not on. 
You can see you only can use 5' 3" of yours.

Yes, I agree, but you need to add back the length of the mill that you now can use past the end where it normally stops without the bed extension.
With that you gain it back.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I don't mind my mill sliding a little. I'm afraid if I bolt it down and it cant move.....something else has got to give.
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o $$$$$$
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on June 19, 2016, 09:03:30 AM
Quote from: Peter Drouin on June 19, 2016, 07:12:45 AM
Jim I did not count the part past the black line.
I was measuring how much cut I get. I think WM counts the last 10" of the mill that's not used when the bx is not on. 
You can see you only can use 5' 3" of yours.

Yes, I agree, but you need to add back the length of the mill that you now can use past the end where it normally stops without the bed extension.
With that you gain it back.

Jim Rogers

Jim has it. The exact length of the extension is the exact amount of additional cut you get.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

More wood,  :D :D
I find that scaling log, then putting them away, helping customers, answering the pH making deals, cleaning up the mess, I have no time to make lumber.  :D :D
But I do all the sawing now what? Do I give up my saw to someone else. :D :D :D

No way, the ph will ring. :D :D
I did cut some NH Butternut the other day and get some nice Pine and hemlock.  8)

8000 BF of W Pine.

Some hemlock.

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

You guys from away sure do have some funny looking rigs to haul your wood.  ;D
The hemlock and pine looks like what I grow here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bruno of NH

Nice butternut :)
I like making things with it .
It works nicely and makes great wood working projects .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WDH

Note that the inner bark of fresh butternut is yellow, just like in black walnut. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bruno of NH

WDH
Walnut and butternut seam a lot a like when I mill them in the shop .
The street I grew up on had a lot of big butternut trees but they all ended up dying .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

bkaimwood

I wonder if butternut will give me walnut burn like black walnut does? I never checked to see if it contains the Junglone toxin? I have some butternut goobers lying around to slab if ever get caught up...
Good to see you're staying busy Peter... some nice logs there!!
bk

Chuck White

I have heard that all of the "nut" trees warrant CAUTION!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bkaimwood

Thanks for the head up, Chuck...
bk

Bruno of NH

I got in a lot of trouble with butternuts a sling shot and the trains behind my house growing up .
Maybe even a kid or two over the railroad bank on the street below .

4x4American

:D :D :D  I can only imagine Bruno...I wonder if you ever planted any butternuts unknowingly...
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

An idea ;D

A&P saw Mill LLC.

woodyone.john

Peter,I see that you are reclaiming your thread. Good pics.
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

4x4American

Nice setup you have there. 

I like the pantograph styled exhaust idea, keep us posted!
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Quote from: 4x4American on September 20, 2016, 09:16:12 PM
Nice setup you have there. 

I like the pantograph styled exhaust idea, keep us posted!

Going to run the exhaust outside. ;D

When I went to the VT Fair they had a shingle mill there. And with talking to a man, he said I need a 45 to 55 Horse engine to run the shingle mill.
I have 3 more Fairs to go to. I will talk to more guys with a mill there.

Nice talking with you the other night 4x4.

A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

Oops did I spill the beans?  lol good talking to you too Peter..I was thinking, how hot is that plastic pipe rated for?  Because diesels have much hotter EGT's (exhaust gas temperature) than gas engines do.  My diesel pickup would idle down to maybe 3-400 degrees, but when put under a load, would get up as high as 1200°F or so.  That 6BT could run all day at 1300 I believe, but 1350° would start melting pistons haha
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

4x4 the hose is for exhaust, Well the guy at the parts store said it's ok.
We will see . :D :D :D :D

Thanks for the call ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

Tell that guy be needs to sharpen his blade. I've seen them run easily with a Farmall H. A friend of mine just brought his Chase home last week. He's going to run it off of a line shaft.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

A little wood came in, Hemlock.

Had to find a new spot to put the logs in a pile.

5600 BF
A&P saw Mill LLC.

paul case

That looks like quite a few small ones in there. What do you do with them? Lumber or do you make some cants out of them?

I get logs that are small sometimes but never as straight as those look. We make 3x4 cants and side into 4/4 so we hope for a log to make at least a 6x8 or it usually goes into the firewood pile. The only thing that is surely good about smaller logs is they are cheap on the scale.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Sixacresand

That's a nice load, Peter D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Peter Drouin

paul case,  The log size is from 10" to 22". Most 12", all 8'
My market is retail only. I sell a lot of 2x4, 4x4 2x6,2x8.6x6,8x8 And more all 8'
So I have a logger will save the 8s and 10', most go in the chipper. Big mills don't want  8'logs Pine or hemlock.

I just feed into the log pile and cut the logs in a way that will give me the most . Some logs are good for 2x4s some for 6x6 and so on.
Small logs are more work. I use the Ind scale in NH And gave .25 a BF for them. $1455 load.

Sixacresand, Thanks.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

Peter, do you have a Chase shingle bundler?

Thank You Sponsors!