iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Watch for snakes

Started by OldTimbercutter, July 16, 2013, 10:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldTimbercutter

Had a close call today. I work by myself and  had quit for the day and was driving out of the woods. I stopped a few hundred yards from the landing at a spring to wash the grime off my hands.

Was starting to kneel down when I heard the rattler singing. stood up looking around for  it and saw it coiled up right beside the spring . It would have been about neck level if I hadnt heard it and I had got in the spring.

A feller never knows what will get him,  I was thankful like everyday leaving the job that I didnt get hurt or worse and dang if an old snake about got me. So be careful
deere 440b
clark f66
loyal dog
stihls 440,460, 066
pretty wife who likes to cook
prentice loaders
A few huskys and a dolmar
Life is good

beenthere

Glad you had your ear protection off.   :o

Looking for a location, but where are ya located? Don't need to know, but would be nice to relate to when reading things like you are telling about. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

OldTimbercutter

Im in the southern appalachain mountains.

The landowner said back in the 60s they killed 27 rattlers in one year. this is the second one I have got this summer.

Production will go down,  keeping an eye out for the rascals. :laugh:
deere 440b
clark f66
loyal dog
stihls 440,460, 066
pretty wife who likes to cook
prentice loaders
A few huskys and a dolmar
Life is good

HiTech

They are darn good eating.

coxy

Quote from: HiTech on July 17, 2013, 08:24:13 AM
you must get them some other place then here  :-X   :D :) :) :) 8) 8) 8) 

WDH

Quote from: HiTech on July 17, 2013, 08:24:13 AM

To me, they stink, even when cooked  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Martha White Nelson

Welcome to the forum!!!  And watch out for not just snakes, be aware of your surroundings!!
Have a great day!
Martha

lynde37avery

welcome, keep your boot laces tied and your ears/eyes open. stay safe. no snakes here thank goodness, I've got a phobia of snakes.   :o
Detroit WHAT?

Woodboogah

I have a lot of respect for the guys working where there is more then just poison ivy to worry about.  Glad you made it out untouched! 
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

WDH

It is very snaky here. Very snaky. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Red Good

Here too ! I sometimes feel that my head is on a swivel watching for snakes . Not a lot of rattlers here but some and copperheads . Not really interested in eating them either . Red
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

beenthere

Red Good
How about adding some location to your bio so we could easily tell from what part of the country you hail.  ;)

And what part has snakes !!!!!!!!!!
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Woodworth

I turned down a skidder job in Eastern Washington which campared to Western Washington is like logging in a park as far as underbrush goes, had the vision of sticking the choker under a log and reaching for it on the other side and ended up with a p----d off rattelsnake who didn't want his head stuck in a choker bell.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

chain

August is the month I always see a rattler. One reason is supposedly the rattlers begin to breed this month, the male will crawl around everywhere seeking the female. A 54" long Timber rattler was killed in our woods this past month.

Always heard that turkeys kill snakes and can attest of a freshly killed copperhead I found while squirrel hunting, had a hole pecked in his head, there were fresh turkey scratchings all around the dead snake.

Thank You Sponsors!