iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wanted: A beginner hobby bandsaw mill that wants to marry my Kohler 8.5hp !

Started by BackwoodsUSA, March 19, 2014, 09:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

StimW

Quote from: Magicman on March 25, 2014, 09:16:48 AM
So now we all wait for the delivery man.  8)

Mine was a day late and Conway tracking quit showing where it was after it left California! But here is what it will look like-

New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

BobInMN

Congratulations on the new mill!  I got my HF mill last fall.  It ended up costing me $1450 delivered to my place with the coupons and shipping.  It took a while to get it after I ordered it.  I ordered it on Easter Sunday using a 25% off coupon, it was delivered on September 10th.  At one point during the wait my order was cancelled and HF sent me a $25 coupon for my troubles.  The cancellation was not all HF's fault, its a long story.  Early August HF called me and asked if I still wanted a mill, they said they would honor the original price of $1550.  When they billed my wife's credit card they only charged $1450.  I don't know if they didn't charge tax or shipping, I wasn't going to question them.

I ordered my blades from WM.  I have not used the mill much.  What ash I did cut with the mill worked great.  I plan on making some modifications this year.  I want to increase the length of the track and change the log diameter capacity from 21" to 26", very easily done by moving the push handle and throttle.

The only suggestion I can give you at this time is to make sure you have a way of unloading it from the delivery truck.  It will probably be delivered on a semi without a lift gate.  The crate weighs about 700 lbs.

If you have any other questions let me know.  I don't post a lot here, but I read most of the posts.  I have learned so much from the guys on this site, I don't know where I would be without them.  Thanks guys!
Retired US Army, Retired Civil Engineering Technician, Retired State Employee, most of all just plain tired.

BackwoodsUSA

BobInMN, thanks for the information on shipping ... there is NO WAY a semi will make it up to our home in the woods ... too steep a climb and tight curves ... I"ll have to make arrangements to pick it up on town ... I can't wait to get started ... I have about 30 black cherry logs that have been resting under cover for about 5 years now ... I just couldn't fathom cutting them with the chainsaw ... thanks again everyone ... love this forum!

Magicman

Those 5 year old Cherry logs are going to test you for sure.  They are gonna be HARD.   :o

Practice on something else first.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

BackwoodsUSA

Thanks for the tip, MagicMan ... i have some balsam logs to chew away on for testing and playing (assuming the beetles didn't hammer them too much last year).

thecfarm

I think I am right,  ::)   green logs are better than dead logs for a beginner. Them green one will saw easier,staighter.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!