iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The result of my haste!

Started by francismilker, November 01, 2012, 05:04:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

francismilker

:'( :'(

I ended up needing to cut down a post oak this afternoon that was in the way of my mill's location and was making it difficult to load, unload, and turn a trailer around.  Well, to say the least, this tree has been in my way and a pain in the backside for a month now and it wasn't goin' down without a fight. 

During the process of cutting it down I had this brief moment of mental lapse and let's just say the saw was in the wrong place at the right time.

Not sure these two whopping planks were worth the $82.95 I spent on parts this evening to replace my temporary mental lapse of where to NOT sit a saw.

Oh well, you win some and you lose some and I thank God that it was the saw and not me! PTL!
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Chuck White

Stuff happens!

You've gotta stay on your toes out there!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dgdrls

Well it wasn't anything that couldn't be replaced or repaired.
Glad no one was hurt,

Best
DGDrls

DR_Buck

Looks like those boards are no very straight either.   Was there a lot of tension in that tree or did you cut them with a dull blade?
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

moandrich

Years ago I was clearing a lot for someone, cutting a big oak tree the saw got bound up just as I was finishing the hinge, pulled on the saw for a few minutes till the tree broke its hinge.  Slid down the wedge with the saw still jammed between the tree and the stump.  Pulled my hand out at this time because I did not know which way the tree was going now and I wanted to make sure I could get away.  Tree landed standing straight up right on top of the saw driving it about a foot into the ground.  I dug it out and it was still running!  It was so smashed up though it became a parts saw.
woodmizer lt 40HD  2007
Kubota RTVX1100 2019
Kubota L3940   2009

Magicman

A cousin once asked me if I wanted a new chainsaw.  It had only been cranked and used once.  He felled only one tree, and felled it on the chainsaw.   :-\  It was not salvageable.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

isawlogs

Buck, the board on the right in the pick tells that it had over two inches of sweep, that will cause as much tenssion as one wants in a log

Magic, most times a saw gets crushed by a tree, the casing gets trashed, the motor usealy makes it through , then again there is the odd one that just gets pancaked  :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

The next thing is that you will probably run over it with the tractor (don't ask how I know this  :)). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on November 01, 2012, 08:09:41 AM
The next thing is that you will probably run over it with the tractor (don't ask how I know this  :)).

I heard someone backed over a chainsaw with a Dozer..... :-X......That's what I heard.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Okrafarmer

We've crushed a couple. The MS 360 PRO survived as a wounded warrior, but the 346XP that Profdan dropped a sweetgum limb on had the head shattered and became a donor to the one he bought to replace it.  :-\
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Magicman

Quote from: Okrafarmer on November 01, 2012, 08:34:56 AMdropped a sweetgum limb on

See, I have been trying to tell you folks.... ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Al_Smith

Things  happen .I've never smashed one myself but have salvaged several that got smashed or dropped from 60 feet up .

DanG

I love this little thread!  Milker, you messed up, but you took responsibility for it and paid for your mistake.  Best of all, you shared your new-found knowledge with us and may have saved someone else from making the same miscalculation.  I was much relieved to see that it was just a chainsaw and not your sawmill! 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Red Clay Hound

In his younger days Dodgy Loner had a bad habit of dropping trees on top of my tractor!  Had to replace the fenders on my old Ford and replaced the steering wheel twice!  So far I have been able to keep him away from my new John Deere!  And I will probably be severely chastised for revealing this bit of history!  :-)
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

Dodgy Loner

Hey! Am I going to have to get granddad on here so someone can start telling all the secrets of your youth? >:(

:D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

beenthere

And Red Clay Hound, those are just some of the things that you found out about.  ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

That is one thing that I have not done,YET,is drop a tree on the tractor. But I won't say I park the tractor about 4 tree lengths away either.  ;) I just posted something about trying to save 20 seconds and than it cost me 15 minutes of extra work because I was trying to save 20 seconds.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Solomon

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 01, 2012, 08:25:53 AM

I heard someone backed over a chainsaw with a Dozer..... :-X......That's what I heard.  :D

Thats another story;  I worked for a clearing cotractor years ago and he had just purchased a brand new Stihl The biggest one they made at the time.  An 088 I think.   48 in bar.   well.....  Never even started the saw when a dozer operator on an LGP with those wide track shoes backed over it
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Sawdust Lover

Look at the bright side, It wasn't a brand new saw.  :-\

francismilker

Actually, the two beams are pretty straight and didn't have too much tension on them. That was however a dull blade that I thought I could get one more cut out before changing.  One led to two led to three...........you know the drill.  I hated to put a new blade on to finish a hardwood when my primary cutting is ERC.

These two beams were sawed those specific dimensions to be used for a couple of skid logs to sit perpendicular to the mill for staging logs on to be milled.  My mill is setting on a slight slope so one needed to be 8" and the other 12" to have the future logs level with the mill and ready to be rolled on.  The barked edges don't bother me as they will be sitting on the ground.  I didn't take any pains to wrestle the log with the cant hook for maximizing quantity of boards.  All of the big stuff I sliced off the sides of the log will be happily burned in the fireplace.  This particuar tree had a limb about every few inches and would have never been cut for lumber if it hadn't been standing so close to the mill.  It was just handy!

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

francismilker

Sacrificed a MS 260 to the Massey Ferguson gods several years ago.  It was bad enough that there wasn't much salvageable! 

When I'm not farming, my son and I have always cut lots of firewood for sale in the winter months as I've got quite a bit of scrub timber and I'd rather cut it for firewood than have it dozed and burned in piles.  I've never broke down and purchased a professional grade saw and instead worked the hound out of homeowner grade saws.  I'm deciding I'd be far better off spending a little more money upfront and getting a beefier saw than to buy two saws.  I'm just hardheaded enough to be slowing at getting it sometimes. ;D

Magicman

I just 'fess up and tell about my own screwups.  Sometimes I am not very kind to myself.   :-\

1woodguy

Years back Brother in law crushed a saw of mine one day I believe it was a o28
Cutting oak on side of hill said it jumped off stump

I might of a time or two as an experiment testing just how tough saws are decided at dark to back over one or two
Some experiments I like to repeat on a yearlybasis to see if I get same results
:D
Also may have tested a saw dropping it 30 /35 ft or so onto a concrete slab
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

DR_Buck

So far I've spared the chainsaws.  But, a few years ago my new battery jumper didn't hold up well under my Kubota while moving logs around.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Magicman

I had my leaf blower on the tractor to occasionally blow out the radiator while I was bushhogging.   I heard the noise, but did not see anything wrong when I looked back.   I thought that I must have hit a hidden limb.    :-\

I am really glad that I did not have a camera, because it was not a pretty sight.   :o   RIP  Ryobi.

Thank You Sponsors!