iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turbo 7's on a 26.5hp LT40...the result

Started by OlJarhead, September 18, 2017, 11:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

So after long last I finally had a chance to try out the Turbo 7's on my LT40HDG26.  The result?  I like these bands!

First, I just tried them on smaller logs (as suggested) and thought they cut a little faster than I was used to.  I noticed the finish was rougher than my 10's, 9's and 4's (the smoothest I think) but they definitely seemed faster.

Next I tried them on some cedar (the first logs were fir) and again I thought "these seem to like going faster".  The log was over 24" and the bands handled it well.  I only had two though and felt the last was getting dull so switched to a 10 degree to finish the log and for sure, I had to slow down!

I think for production milling the Turbo 7's will be faster though likely best on smaller logs (24" and smaller -- probably for 8 to 18" is a safe bet on lower powered mills) and also when a rougher finish is desired for beams etc...

All in all I like these bands and will have to add some more to my ever growing inventory.  Of course I'll also have to make more band boxes as I only have one now and even painted bands can be a pain to sort with one hard box!

Two thumbs up on the Turbo 7's  8)
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

JB Griffin

I only run 7 or 8 degree blades and im going to switch to only 7 degree.
Either the wm 7turbo or most likely the 7/40 from kasco.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

YellowHammer

What band thickness did you use?  The .045 left a significantly rougher finish than the .055 for me. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

OlJarhead

petefrom bearswamp

I use both the turbos and 7-34 blades exclusively now.
Turbos are definitely the better of the 2.
I have resharp replace any bad 7-34s with turbos.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

I need to push the 7/39 Turbos to get the smoothest lumber and even then it is not as smooth as when using the 10°.  I am slightly apprehensive about replacing my rejected 10° blades with Turbos.  The 10° blades rock when sawing ERC.

The .055's that I tried broke quickly so I only use .045's.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Percy

If you get a chance to try a 13 degree blade, you may like it. It looks very much like a turbo 7 cept different face angle. In my opinion, it's the tall teeth and large gullet that makes these blades faster. Also seems to make them more sensitive to slight mis alignment.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

OlJarhead

Thing is for me, is that I'm running a G26 and the Turbo's are supposed to be for higher HP mills.  They do seem to work well and run faster than my 10's and 4's and for production milling on doug fir, pine etc in smaller logs I think they might be a good option.

They must be great on higher HP mills!

MM -- what is the HP of your 1998 mill?

Percy

Quote from: OlJarhead on September 19, 2017, 09:19:57 AM
Thing is for me, is that I'm running a G26 and the Turbo's are supposed to be for higher HP mills.  They do seem to work well and run faster than my 10's and 4's and for production milling on doug fir, pine etc in smaller logs I think they might be a good option.

They must be great on higher HP mills!

My mill only has 42 hp kubota and my guess is most of the time Im using about half that. IMO your motor would be fine for these blades. Especially on smaller softwood logs as you state.

OlJarhead

Terrace huh?  I used to live in New Hazelton!  Played soccer in Terrace and Kitimat but that was a LONG long time ago!  (back in the 70's)....small world huh?

Magicman

My old turbo Lombardini was spec'ed at 40 hp.  This replacement non-turbo was spec'ed at 38 hp, but if it is, then either that turbo or those two hp were powerful.  I never-ever could load the old engine down, but I can this new engine.

The jump up to the 47 HP Yanmar would have been $3400 more and I often wish that I had opted "in" instead of "out".   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Percy

Quote from: OlJarhead on September 19, 2017, 10:32:30 AM
Terrace huh?  I used to live in New Hazelton!  Played soccer in Terrace and Kitimat but that was a LONG long time ago!  (back in the 70's)....small world huh?
Small world no kidding. In the later 70s I hauled logs a lot in the Hazelton area.  Does McCreary or Mikolichuk or West ring any bells? They were loggers back then🤓🤓😆

Regardless, if you could schmooze one 13 degree blade from your wm rep, you might like it on the soft wood.

Seavee

Quote from: Magicman on September 19, 2017, 02:36:07 PM
My old turbo Lombardini was spec'ed at 40 hp.  This replacement non-turbo was spec'ed at 38 hp, but if it is, then either that turbo or those two hp were powerful.  I never-ever could load the old engine down, but I can this new engine.

The jump up to the 47 HP Yanmar would have been $3400 more and I often wish that I had opted "in" instead of "out".   :-\
I'm running the 47hp Yanmar with the turbo 7's and they are great. Actually Marty solved some of my sawing issues when he recommended them. They saw great for me in all but Longleaf pine, for them I go back to the 10°.
Wood mizer lt50 47hp yanmar Diesel  Sthil MS311, Ms661 MS200T, 029 farm boss  and a New Holland T4  75hp.

JB Griffin

I absolutely will not ever again use 10deg blades. If I wanna waste time if can find better ways to.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Percy on September 19, 2017, 07:26:01 PM
Small world no kidding. In the later 70s I hauled logs a lot in the Hazelton area.  Does McCreary or Mikolichuk or West ring any bells? They were loggers back then🤓🤓😆

Regardless, if you could schmooze one 13 degree blade from your wm rep, you might like it on the soft wood.

Can't say they do but we left in 79.  I am ten years your junior though so it isn't a surprise!  I was a punk hid going to school in Old Town.

Nothing like handing out at the confluence of the Skeena and Bulkley rivers!  Did they ever fix the bridge from Old Town to South Town?

Percy

Quote from: OlJarhead on September 20, 2017, 02:18:45 PM
Quote from: Percy on September 19, 2017, 07:26:01 PM

Can't say they do but we left in 79.  I am ten years your junior though so it isn't a surprise!  I was a punk hid going to school in Old Town.

Nothing like handing out at the confluence of the Skeena and Bulkley rivers!  Did they ever fix the bridge from Old Town to South Town?
The Hagleget(sp) is still standing. Has a steel deck now and has been doctored up several times since you left but is still a one lane wonder.

OlJarhead

I was thinking there was originally a bridge from Old town to South Town and the one laner was on the way to new Town?  It's been a long time but I remember the bridge across the Skeena to the reservation (or South Town) was a wooden bridge that burned in the early 70's -- but I wasn't there so maybe earlier still)

Thank You Sponsors!