iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Capstan winch rope storage

Started by Gitche Gumee Ki, March 08, 2020, 09:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gitche Gumee Ki

Capstan winch rope storage.Best way to keep the excess from tangling?

dgdrls

Welcome to the FF Gitche Gumee Ki,

get a soft rope bucket to store the line,
if I'm understanding your question.

D

TimRB

I used to use one of the soft buckets and got tired of bothering with it.  Now I just make two coils of rope.  Pictured is about 200 feet--I almost never have to get into the second coil.

Tim

<br

>

Gitche Gumee Ki

Thank you for the reply s. I,m going to try both suggestions.
Gitche Gumee Kid

John Mc

You just can't beat the rope bag for storing and paying the rope out quickly (if you stuff it in the sack, NOT coil it). It is a bit of a pain to stack it in the bag (start with one end, and just start feeding it in).  There is a reason rope bags are popular with rock climbers.

If you are not "stacking" the rope in a rope bag, you should flake the rope for storage, not coil it. (A flaked rope may look the same as coiling from a bit of a distance, but it avoids putting a twist into the rope, which causes problems when you go to feed it back out again.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Quebecnewf

We use an old knapsack . Easy to carry . We have been using just twisted rope over the years but it kinks up over time . Just switched to the recommended braided poly a few days and it is much better . More expensive but much better .

Quebecnewf 

Thank You Sponsors!