iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

rope slipping on capstan winch

Started by Offthebeatenpath, November 15, 2015, 03:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Offthebeatenpath

Last week I finally bought a lightly used (supposedly less than a tank of gas through it) PCH5000 capstan winch. I used it this week dragging hemlock logs for a trail bridge. The logs were 21' long, 10-18" in diameter and milled on two or three sides. We hung spar blocks in trees to promote lifting/ decrease friction and sometimes used a power block on the logs to achieve a 2:1 advantage. We didn't hike the skidding cone out to the site, but used rock bars and peaveys to maneuver and lift up and over obstacles. Even when there was little friction, the rope in the winch kept slipping well before the engine ever bogged down.

I was not using the exact rope that is sold by the Portable Winch Company, but it was a 1/2" (12mm) static double braided polyester rope with the same strength and elongation, so I think it was pretty much the same.  After a day of slipping, I bought a brand new 12 stand rigging rope (1/2" diameter) that is the same rope used in the Simpson capstan winches.  It also slipped, but not quite as much.

I was able to keep it from slipping only by using five wraps, instead of the three or four that are recommended, but the rope was really mashed tightly on the capstan drum. It was raining most of the week, which may have contributed to the slipping.

Has anyone else run into this? Is there something that I can be doing better here?
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

grassfed

I am able to stall mine with four wraps. It has been a while since I have used mine but I can't remember being in a situation where it would keep slipping rather than stalling. I am not sure that I can get five wraps on the drum so maybe I count differently. The skidding cone helps a lot if the log end is digging any.
Mike

Quebecnewf

I use one of those winches for all my logging. Mostly smaller logs than 21' hemlock. I use 3/8 " twisted poly rope ( fishing rope). The braided stuff might be better but too expensive. We.use up two rope a season normally. I think 3/8 rope would be better it is more than strong enough to stall the winch. We use 3 and sometimes 4 wraps. Never more than that. Could be the rain was some of the problem along with 1/2" rope.

Try the 3/8 twisted poly rope. Not the crap rope sold at your local hardware store but real rope used in commercial fishing. Some brand names are Super Dan / poly steel/ poly pro/ ester pro/ easy haul .....

Quebecnewf

Offthebeatenpath

Thanks for the input. I haven't heard about rope slippage being an issue which why I was surprised when it happened.

Guess I should probably order a 3/8" rope, but I like having the strongest line I can get. The 1/2" ropes only have a breaking strength of 7000# or so before knots. With a 2200# pull on the winch, the safety factor is a bit less than I would ideally want. Unfortunately, the stronger the rope, the more slippery is often is.
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

beenthere

You probably already know to not get rope that stretches... they can be killers...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Quebecnewf

I see by your profile you are located in Maine . You should have easy access to good fishing rope for sure. As I said we use 3/8 fishing rope ( rope used on crab fishing gear) . I have only managed to break one piece over the years and that piece was getting worn. Normally this rope will stall the winch before breaking.

3/8" Superdan rope has a breaking strength of 3920 lbs.. If it is not badly worn you won,t break it . The winch will stall first....

Quebecnewf

sprucebunny

Maybe a Dacron covered rope ? On our sailboat,we used to get Dacron for jib sheets cause it worked in the winches better.

Polyester is part of UHMWPE which is very slippery stuff !
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Quebecnewf

On our sailboat we used to use.....no,wait I don,t own a sailboat. I guess not a lot of sailboat owners on this " in the woods " crowd??"

How are those  J5,s holding up for you in the woods?

Quebecnewf

sprucebunny

The J5 is doing well but doesn't get a lot of use. I put electronic points in it recently  8)

I had another thought about the winch ( also related to boats  :D ) How about non-skid tape on the capstan ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

LeeB

Don't think I would do that myself. You want to be able to slack the rope and stop pulling. The non skid wouldn't let you have any control. It would be only pull.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Quebecnewf

No you will not be able to use non skid tape . It will not stand and would make the winch dangerous in that you could not " slack off" like you need to sometimes.
Quebecnewf

Offthebeatenpath

Well, it stopped raining this week and the capstan worked much better. Today it started raining again and it slipped a bit. Seems like the rain plays a huge factor with the winch working effectively. I'm also learning how to use it more smoothly. All in all, it's a pretty sweet device.

Quebecnewf

The more you use it the more you will realize what a great device you have. I bought one 7 or 8 years ago and it's the best money I ever spent.

Just for information how good a deal did you get on it?

Quebecnewf

Offthebeatenpath

Yeah, I'm sure I'll find more and more uses for it. I have six other small "portable" type winches and they each have their niche.

I paid $1000 cash for the winch ($1450 retail before tax), the rugged carrying case ($240) and a skidding cone ($150). I believe the guy when he said it was only used twice- pulled out two moose. The only scratches on it are what I've done in the last two weeks. It's only had trufuel non ethanol gas through it.

Thank You Sponsors!