iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Site eval, took a drive

Started by backwoods sawyer, February 17, 2014, 11:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backwoods sawyer

This last storm brought all the creeks and rivers up to the brink of flood, and they were all running brown as we headed 80 miles across the county. The Coquille runs thru the place and had been receding for a few hours when we pulled out of the valley and headed over the mountain and all the way across the Umpqua valley. The ground is soft and the winds are picking up ahead of the next wave of storms but the skies cleared for the trip down the main Umpqua as we headed past a favorite smelt dipping fishin-smiley stretch of river on our way towards a small town a few miles inland from the bay.

The main reason for the site eval was the customer has ten over sized doug fir logs that he wants split in half, ("All about 4 ½ feet in diameter"), The local mill, a 48 foot Log Master, had picked up all of the smaller logs.

I was pleasantly surprised to find the largest log at 39". Smallest end in the bunch was 32". I can handle that with a little trim work. And to top it off they are laying in the only flat area big enough to set the mill on the 300+ acres of canyon wall, which happens to be an old rocked road bed from years back, so the mill should have a fairly solid base to set up on right along the highway.

I always find it a good habit to shop at the local store, restaurant, parts house, feed store, and get to know the feel of the town, and leave a flyer or two around town.

We set this out a couple weeks to let the water runoff so the ground can firm up enough to use the tractor.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Magicman

Sounded like you were chasing a rainbow looking for a pot of gold.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!