iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine ID - Log Only

Started by Pepe_Silvia, November 10, 2019, 04:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepe_Silvia

Picked this up from one of the tree guys I work with, so I don't have any pictures of the needles anything.  It was a yard tree.  Got about 2' diameter, but wasn't tall by any means.

I can provide grain pictures shortly if that helps.

From a lumber perspective, is there much difference?

Woodmizer LT15Wide GO, John Deere 318D Skid Steer

Magicman

Considering where you are located, it would probably be either Loblolly or Shortleaf and either way it would not matter.  It looks tight grained so it should be stable and be good for projects. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

Probably short leaf, less so lob.  A range thing.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Pepe_Silvia

Thanks guys.  Here's what the wood looks like.  Will it stay this pretty once it's dried, or will it lose most of the color?

Southside

Holy growth rings Batman!!  :o  Anyone every plant Radiata Pine down that way? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ljohnsaw

Is that dark wood sappy?  Super strong pine smell?  Looks like "fat wood", great for starting fires.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

Yup, Shortleaf.  That color is fatwood (heartwood) and it is not going to dry much nor loose it's color.  Have fun.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Pepe_Silvia

Quote from: Southside on November 10, 2019, 08:57:27 PM
Holy growth rings Batman!!  :o  Anyone every plant Radiata Pine down that way?
Not that I've heard of.
Quote from: ljohnsaw on November 10, 2019, 09:09:15 PM
Is that dark wood sappy?  Super strong pine smell?  Looks like "fat wood", great for starting fires.

Yeah, really strong smell.

timberking

If it came from DFW then probably a lob. planted years ago. The post oak region starts just west of Tyler and the pine ends.  

kantuckid

Color wise it will darken slightly as does natural pine paneling to a warmer tan. Like said above, read up on what finishes will seal the bleeding.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!