iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lucas Mill maintenance questions...

Started by chainsaw_louie, December 31, 2011, 08:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chainsaw_louie

Hi.

Last summer, I bought a used Lucas 825 w 100 hrs and have been learning to use it and maintain it... I have a few questions that maybe some of the other owners could comment on:
1. when greasing the bearing before each use, should the grease ooze out from somewhere? I can just get about one pump to go in but after that the grease just comes out from around the zerk fitting. Is this normal or is my zerk clogged ?

2. when cutting deep and the engine starts to loose rpm, I'll crank up the throttle to keep the rpm around 3000, but the engine won't stay at the higher rpm, it comes back down.  Its almost like the throttle is loose and wont hold a setting.  I looked at it closer today and it appears to be designed with a governor to regulate the rpm so I'm not sure if a nut needs to be tightened or is this normal.

3. Does the transmission oil/fluid need servicing or changing ?

Thanks.

Tim

logboy

It sounds like your fitting is plugged.  It only takes a pump or two and it should go right in to the bearing.  You should see a little come out around the bearing while you're sawing. If you're greasing too much you'll start finding it on your lumber.

I'm not sure I understand your throttle question.  You should be sawing at full throttle all the time, nothing less. Anything less can wear your clutch out prematurely.  Once it bogs down the governor should take over and try to keep the rpms up. If it is not doing that something may be loose, dirty, or need adjusting. Any small engine place can help.

The drive unit fluid should be changed once a year or every time you change the engine oil.  If it looks dirty or brown flush it a couple times.  It takes very little, like 8 oz or so if I remember right.  1 qt will do multiple changes or flushes. I use Amsoil synthetic.  For as little as it takes it's affordable, and worth it.

Hope this helps!
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

76gmc

hello,if your grease fitting is plugged you could do one of a few  things. unscrew the fitting and soak the joint/bearing with penetrating oil. log rite makes a fine product. it used to be called rust reaper. its new name is listed here on this site. then put fitting back in and try to grease it. if no luck,remove fitting again. this time screw in a pipe nipple, fill it with penetrating oil,screw on a pipe bushing with the grease fitting attached to it. finialy  attach a pneumatic grease gun to it, hold until grease comes out. last option would be to go to an auto parts store and buy tool thats made for this type of problem.$25? i forget its name. but you fill it with lube, attach to fitting and hit it with a hammer. all of this took longer to explain then actually doing it.  As for engine problems, start with the basics. is it getting the right amount of fuel? fuel filter pluged? fuel line kinked or plugged? Air filter plugged or restricted? how about spark plug? worn? fouled?  weak spark? lastly does your machine have a fuel pump?

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum 76gmc.  Here is the grease fitting unstopper.  There is a thread on it's use.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chainsaw_louie

Hi,  thanks for the replys.

I  looked over the mill today re these 3 questions.

1. There isn't any grease oozing out around the bearing as Logboy said it should. I'll unscrew that zerk fitting and see if I can clear it up or just replace it .

2. I tried to tighten the black screw in the center of the various throttle and governor link arms and it just kept turning.  There didn't seem to be a nut on the underside, probably just threads cut into the bracket and they are gone.  I got to take a mirror and flashlight to see whats going on under there. The mechanism is definitely loose because it wont stay put on full throttle. The most it will do it about 2700 rpm which is close to the vertical position of the throttle selector, gravity must be pulling it into that position.

3.  I read the manual re putting oil in the gearbox and it said pour oil in the big hole till it comes out the other hole.  There is a diagram in the book that makes it clear but I didn't see this and I poured oil in the big brass plug hole till it came out the plastic hose that goes off at 90 degrees.  I see now that it should be filled till it comes out the hole covered by the top, small brass plug.
I'll let the extra drain out tomorrow.

Tim

Thank You Sponsors!