iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill or sell as a log?

Started by Kwill, March 06, 2019, 06:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kwill

What do you guys think I should do with this one? If I sell as a log I'm wondering where I should cut it at.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

doc henderson

looks like some dead branches.  may have to see what it looks like on the inside.  How much can you get for it as a log vs milled.  That is what I would base it on, look at the market.  what kind of wood is it.
ps is that an ivy vine growing up this side.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

rubberfish

How come the pictures don't enlarge when I click on them?  ???
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

firefighter ontheside

I would saw it myself.  With those limbs, buyers may not be highly interested, but the lumber will have figure which would be desirable to woodworkers if it dries nicely.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

stavebuyer

Looks like a "character" log to me. Open grown and short bodied. If you have or want to market direct to consumers that's your log. Veneer buyer wouldn't touch it. Wouldn't grade prime at sawmill: No1 saw log on a good day. Saw it.

Jeff

Quote from: rubberfish on March 06, 2019, 06:39:45 PM
How come the pictures don't enlarge when I click on them?  ???
Because they dont.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kwill

I don't really have a good way to dry it.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

doc henderson

do you know what kind of wood it is.  i would cut just above the bottom 3 branches.  Rubber fish, welcome to the forum.  There may be some rot that follows the branches in.  maybe some live edge rustic slabs. Can sticker and airdry, and re-mill to flatten if they warp.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Doc,

Sure looks like walnut to me. Get Nathan to saw it for your. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

I went and looked at a tree today, owner of the farm says it is a walnut tree, and he is not sure who cut it down.  says I can have it.  My truck is in the shop getting a new door and paint after my deer encounter.

That is libby  the german shepherd "log dog".  I painted "do not move" on it so it will hopefully be there in a week.  The renter of the farm house does not know who cut it down either.  i hope i am not getting in the middle of a feud!
looks like a lightning strike in the forefront. and it has been down a while

doc henderson

Quote from: Kwill on March 06, 2019, 06:58:32 PM
I don't really have a good way to dry it.
google timbergreen farms, you tube video "simple solar cycle kiln" and they have a video on making an outdoor kiln with plastic sheeting.  i have done a few this way, and if it is walnut, might bring a fair amount.  for less than 20$

rubberfish

Hey Kwill.  It's hard to tell from the pics how tall the tree is. If it were me I'd try to cut 16' plus out of it as a log.
The buyer can shorten to whatever it is they want. I agree with most others and mill it yourself. 
Me thinks the dead branches may offer a nice look. Split down the middle? Mirrored slabs?
Fun project, whatever route you go.
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

Dana Stanley

Quote from: doc henderson on March 06, 2019, 07:22:19 PM
I went and looked at a tree today, owner of the farm says it is a walnut tree, and he is not sure who cut it down.  says I can have it.  My truck is in the shop getting a new door and paint after my deer encounter.

That is libby  the german shepherd "log dog".  I painted "do not move" on it so it will hopefully be there in a week.  The renter of the farm house does not know who cut it down either.  i hope i am not getting in the middle of a feud!
looks like a lightning strike in the forefront. and it has been down a while
I would talk to the land owner first!!
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Southside

Doc - given the "expertise" demonstrated in that felling job you might want to look under the tree to see if who ever felled it is still there....
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

thx Dana.  It is a mystery.  The current land owner, whos thumb I stitched back on a few years ago, called me to tell me about the log.  It is on a farm tree row along the driveway on 140 acres he bought for the hay fields.  He has a renter in the house who is a dad I know from boyscouts.  they are both fine with me taking the tree and neither knows who cut it down.  
the owner thinks it could be the grandson of the previous owner.  And no I did not fell that tree.  it looks like it fell sideways to the hinge, but there is a bit of blackened area that my dogs butt is pointing at. lol .  maybe lightning strike.
Somebody cut it down, but did not have permission.  I will watch my back.  I texted both land owner and renter before I went there today.  Gotta watch your back.

Kwill

Its a walnut as far as i can tell. i will prolly just cut it as long as i can and see what it looks like.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

moodnacreek

It depends on the distance from the ground where you can cut it to the first cat face. [on a clear log at least 8' 6"]  You must be capable of bore cutting this tree to fell it doing absolutely no damage to the log on either end.

Remle

Quote from: Jeff on March 06, 2019, 06:52:07 PM
Quote from: rubberfish on March 06, 2019, 06:39:45 PM
How come the pictures don't enlarge when I click on them?  ???
Because they dont.
FYI ( back door method ) if you hold down the Ctrl button on your key board and roll the button on your mouse it will enlarge the hole screen words / pictures....

armechanic

Looks like it might be a post oak.  With all the dead limbs, I am thinking firewood.  But maybe not.
1989 Lt 40, D6C CAT, Home made wood processer in progress.

Kwill

Quote from: armechanic on March 08, 2019, 10:12:23 AM
Looks like it might be a post oak.  With all the dead limbs, I am thinking firewood.  But maybe not.
Not even close to a post oak
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

WV Sawmiller

BTW - why do you want to do anything with it? Why even cut it? Is it in the way or do you think it is deteriorating? 

I cut a couple of walnut snags last summer that had been dead on the stump as long as I have lived here (29 years in July) and, while the sap wood was gone, the heart wood was some of the prettiest I have ever cut. It looks to me like that butt log may be 8-10 ft of clear wood (If there is not an old fence buried in it ::) ). If you don't have a need or market for it I'd let it keep on growing. I have a lot like that on my place and I don't plan to cut them unless they fall or get sick (or somebody offers me enough for one for me and the wife to take another 4 week private tour to Southern Africa with the grandkids :D).
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Kwill

Looking to make a little extra cash
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

WV Sawmiller

Then in answer to your original question, unless you had a lottery winner making you a ridiculous offer for the log, I would saw it. I would likely saw a 3"-4" live edge mantel or two out of the butt log and, depending on the quality, I'd sell them for $300 or so each. I'd saw the short piece between the limbs up higher into 2" thick live slabs and make primitive Mortise and tenon style benches or sell the slabs to woodworkers. I sold a couple about 4' long X 14-15 inches wide the other day for about $55 each for a woodworker to use as tops on tables with old metal sewing machine frames. I typically sell my air dried walnut for about $5/bf. I have some big stuff offered at $10/bf and contemplating raising the price as it has been air dried a year now. I generate a few 4/4 boards in the process hobby woodworkers come buy to make birdhouses and such. The problem with those items is they are slow moving. How long can you afford to wait for your return? I don't know how your market compares to mine.

Similar to what I sold for sewing machine table tops

Primitive live edge mortise and tenon benches. (Disclaimer - this one is actually very dark cherry with lichtenburg etching/engraving applied.) I'd be asking $200-$250 for a similar 3'-4' long walnut bench sanded smooth and with a tung oil finish.
Howard Green

123maxbars

No way I would sale that one, saw it up, alot of value there after you dry it much more than if you just sold the log, 
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Thank You Sponsors!