iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

361 hard to start

Started by wscott, August 05, 2008, 09:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wscott

new 361 hard to start been to dearer twice found nothing. will start there avertime @ dearer. my question has any one tried a hotter sparkplug and hi oct. gas.

have 028 that is over 20 years old starts every time in  6 pulls are less after setting @ leases 7 days

thanks
w scott
You should always marry a ugly girl, when she leaves you, you want feel so bad.

Radar67

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

WDH

I heard reading other posts that the MS 361 was hard to start  smiley_computer_monitor

I found it hard to start   smiley_confused. 

Now you, wscott, find it hard to start  smiley_speechless.

Maybe it is hard to start   smiley_gossip.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sawmilllawyer

Check starting procedure as per Stihl instructions. Also, I had a problem with the coil on my new 361, dealer warranty repair. Saw would start at dealer but when I ran it out in the field it would'nt start, dealer finaly figured it out.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

WDH

Sometimes the procedures do not act like the book says :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

Similar experience when new.
Used higher octane gas, and after 3-4 tankfuls and since, much much easier to start.

Great saw...but sure wasn't convinced it was better than my 30 year old Stihl 041 when the 361 was new.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

olyman

Quote from: beenthere on August 05, 2008, 11:53:49 PM
Similar experience when new.
Used higher octane gas, and after 3-4 tankfuls and since, much much easier to start.

Great saw...but sure wasn't convinced it was better than my 30 year old Stihl 041 when the 361 was new.
the dealers like to tell you new is better--i dont buy it--esp since they are coming out with cats on them---NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beenthere

olyman
I wouldn't buy anything but new when it comes to a chainsaw.  :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

joe_indi

The carb on the MS361 has  an accelerator pump, which mean every time you blip the throttle  a very fine quantity of fuel is ejected into the engine.This is for smoother progressive acceleration.
This feature can be used to make a cold start easier.
Blip the throttle a couple of times before you move the control switch to choke.
Do not do this too many times  you might make the mixture over-rich
The engine should now fire at the first pull on the starter.Once this happens, move the switch to 'Off', keep the throttle wide open and the decompression valve pressed down, and pull on the starter very slowly twice.This will clear the spark plug of any excess fuel.
Now move the control switch to the 'Start' position. (Not the 'On' position, the one just above the 'Choke' position.My apology in advance  if you already know this :'()
The saw should start at the first pull on the starter now.

Joe

beenthere

joe
I've not heard of it, but will give it a test try.

I'm assuming this procedure is just for a cold start.

A warm start is just to switch to "on" and pull starter rope (maybe try the blip on the throttle once before first pull).

I don't use the compression release, as the saw seems to not start any faster and is just one more step to getting the saw running.  May have to if using your procedure, as it will likely release when firing on the first pull.

Will follow up on how it works for me.  Thanks.
south central Wisconsin

joe_indi

w scott,
You are right, the procedure I mentioned is for cold start.
For warm start within 3 minutes after stopping, don't blip.
After 3 - 5 minutes blip it once.
Above that but below 10 minutes 2 blips and move the control to 'Start'.
After 10 - 15 minutes move the control to 'Choke' and pull out the starter slowly twice and then move the switch to 'Start'.
What you save by using these methods is a lot of elbow energy and starter component's life.
Joe

Thank You Sponsors!