iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bald Cypress log weight??

Started by caveman, March 31, 2021, 04:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

I was looking in the toolbox for the weight of bald cypress logs after a logger friend of mine told me that he sells them by the ton and did not see this species listed.  I looked at another source but I trust that I can get a good estimate from the members of the FF (Ellmoe, WDH, CustomSawyer).  The largest that I would need if there is not to much crook would be 18" small end, 16' long.  I would feel more comfortable with 20".

The slippery slope is getting slicker.

Thank you for your input.
Kyle
Caveman

WV Sawmiller

I found it under the log weight calculations as 51 (I assume that is lbs/sq ft). I'd check again.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

firefighter ontheside

I use this calculator.  It has bald cypress, but its not in alphabetical order.  

NOTE FROM ADMIN. NO WAY ARE YOU LISTING THAT CALC HERE. THEY STOLE OUR ORIGINAL CALCULATORS MANY YEARS AGO and I had to go after them. 

I put in a log that was 18 at small end and 20 at large end.  16 feet long.  Came out just under 1500 lbs.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WDH

To get the most accurate estimate, we need the mid-log diameter inside bark.  On a 16 foot log, that would be the inside bark log diameter 8 feet from the end.  Lets assume that the small end is 18" inside bark and the mid-log diameter is 20" inside bark, a reasonable estimate.  Take the mid-log diameter and square it then multiply that by .005454.  This is the number of square feet of area of the circle at the mid-log point.  Multiply that times the log length to get the cubic foot volume of wood.  Multiply this by 63 pounds per cubic foot of solid wood and bark per cubic foot of solid wood for bald cypress.

20 x 20 = 400     400 x.005454 = 2.18 square feet of area.   2.18 x 16 feet long = 34.88 cubic feet of solid wood volume.
63 pounds of wood and bark per cubic foot of solid wood x 34.88 cubic feet of solid wood = 2197 pounds or 1.1 tons

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

Danny, you forgot the part about slaughtering a chicken over the 1/3 point nearest the larger end, on the second eve preceding the Waxing Gibbons moon phase using a bark spud.  Very critical step for achieving a proper weight calculation.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

caveman

Thanks fellows.  After reading everyone's posts, I went back to the toolbox and there it was, sticking out like a sore thumb.  When I get a price per ton, I can assume one of these logs will roughly cost me a ton's worth.
Caveman

Southside

Yup - lumber will cost you a ton these days..... :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

caveman

So will one decent sized log, evidently.
Caveman

Ianab

What you have to work out is if that 1 ton log that costs maybe $200 will produce $400 of lumber to sell?  (Insert your your own numbers). 

If it does, then you probably have the start of decent business plan. 

It's tricky when you are buying in one unit, processing, and selling in another unit. Will that $200 log make $250 of wood (not worth the effort), or can you sell the boards for $500 (jump on that deal) 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

customsawyer

If you have a source for cypress please let me know. It's getting tough to find up here.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

KenMac

Quote from: customsawyer on April 01, 2021, 06:43:38 AM
If you have a source for cypress please let me know. It's getting tough to find up here.
A guy from south Alabama called me a while back trying to sell his cypress timber to me. 200 miles away and that's not my game. 
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

customsawyer

Quote from: KenMac on April 01, 2021, 07:42:48 PM
A guy from south Alabama called me a while back trying to sell his cypress timber to me. 200 miles away and that's not my game.

I would like his contact info if you still have it. I can hire the loggers and the trucks to get it to me.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

tmbrcruiser

The system of bf to tons only works when you average thousands of logs. So many factors effect the weight and density of a cubic foot of wood from the same species. Weight is used in many mills to over come the slow process of scaling log. Also many mills using weight accept tree length logs and a waist factor is built into the conversion. I have measured millions of board feet of standing timber and the logs were delivered to the mill by weight. Using weight to estimate the value of your purchase is a reasonable thing to do but do not expect the bf ft yield to be exact.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

KenMac

Quote from: customsawyer on April 02, 2021, 06:42:06 AM
Quote from: KenMac on April 01, 2021, 07:42:48 PM

I would like his contact info if you still have it. I can hire the loggers and the trucks to get it to me.
PM has been sent.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

caveman

I'm still waiting on a price per ton for the cypress.  I wish I could get some like John and I sawed a few years ago for his wife's relatives.
Four of these would cover the deck of an 8' wide trailer.

Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!