Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

kantuckid

Magic, have you been doing the "lay on the floor on yer back and extend a broomstick behind your head with both arms PT?"

I'm not trying to become a PT person here but that plus the rest is what got me to full overhead arm extension and it sure didn't come easy!

I did face to face PT twice a week and do feel the the manipulation as done by the better PT people was very helpful as they move that arm in a very theraputic way so as to stretch the surgery related tissues toward that full extension goal.
My $700+ sling had two modes and switched to something similar to an oldtime done at home sling toward the end.
Mine was done in 11/2014 and been used for whatever comes along since then. My doc reminded me that putting it back together doesn't make arthritis go away and he was sure right. Ran chainsaw several hours yesterday and shoulder hurts... such is life.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Magicman

No, not the broomstick yet but I did see the shoulder guys doing it when I was doing my knee PT.  For the next month I am doing the pulley which warms things up and rubber strap exercises.  Two days sawing this week has loosened me up quite a bit, and with two more to go.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

stanwelch

Magic. You are doing really well.  PT for me seemed like a long time with very slow adding elements of movement. I was expecting to git r dun and push myself through to full strength faster than PT wanted. After six weeks I completed phase three ROM objectives and was released to phase 4 - strength building on my own.  That was I realized why the slow PT pace.

Keep up the good work. You'll get there! :)
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

Magicman

I believe that the sawing (with good help doing the lifting) is helping me to loosen up.  I know that I am steadily going higher with the rope/pulley.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

realzed

Personally I never found the mechanical pulley-deals or elastic/bungee cords much good or use - I did find that walking the hand of whichever shoulder I had done (both actually now) up the wall of the shower each day once everything got warmed up, worked better for me than anything else.
Started off being fairly far off of the enclosure wall either in front of me or at my side, and gradually worked up closer and closer and higher and higher -  as the warm water loosened everything up.
Warm shower water worked real good for trying to increase my range of motion behind and up my back as well - but everyone's results, situations, and benefits will differ obviously!
As opposed to my TKR - the shoulder deals were both a breeze and pretty much back to some 'normal' for someone at my age then (60's) within a fairly short time.. compared to my knee which I long ago realized, won't ever be good again.
Trouble is - I can't throw anything overhand or even sidearm well at all..  must be humorous to watch me get frustrated at something sufficiently enough so I try to fire off the offending piece of whatever I'm worked up about, because I now know I have the throwing motion, accuracy, distance, and probably power, of someone of the fairer gender now.
After years of pitching fastballs and bombing long football passes around (much of which I'm sure helped to create my problems originally) as well as undoubtedly lifting far too much weight by myself always, I should have known it all would come back at some time to haunt me.
Tried to fire a rock off at a bunch of geese that were crapping all over my nice green lawn at camp last Spring and darn near killed myself..
What made the pain, lack of accuracy, and distance, most embarrassing and troubling though - was.. I never knew Geese could laugh!!    

Magicman

I went to the knee surgeon today for my six month X-Ray & visit.  He was well pleased and told me to continue to use it.  Simple instructions, if it hurts avoid it, if not continue on.  Just treat it like it was mine.  He did answer some questions that I had which was nice/informative.  He said that I could have some swelling after I did something strenuous but not to worry about it.  Heck, everything that I do is strenuous.  I go back in six months, I guess so that he can get another check.

The shoulder is doing well but I know that I am big time overdoing it. 

I handled the other end of these slabs yesterday and they are stacked high!!   :o  The top two are over 30" off of the ground.  The Red Toolbox shows that they weigh 130lbs. each.  I ain't 'spose to be doing that.  :-X

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Thank You Sponsors!