iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wm lt40 log clamp question

Started by richard boyd, March 08, 2018, 09:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richard boyd

I have a 93 wm lt40 and was wondering if you could put the newer type log clamp on it without a lot of trouble and also could this mill be updated to the same as a super hydraulic lt40 ?

Gary Davis

ask wood mizer they should know what changes you can make

starmac

Yes and no. You can upgrade the log clamp, but it is not a straight forward upgrade by any means, it involves cutting and some changes in the frame.

There is a very good thread along with pictures documenting the process, but I can't tell you how to find it.
There is a very good and long thread started by bibbyman about modifying the mills, that will have some very good info in it for you also.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Magicman

Short answer, yes it can be done and the mod is pictured here on the FF.  Some searching should find it.  It does require fabricating the offset and welding it into place before the frame is cut.  Now, whether it is profitable, would be up to you. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pineywoods

I looked at just adding a 2 plane clamp to my manual mill. Unless you are a world class welder, it ain't worth the trouble. The mill frame has to be cut and an offset extension welded in. Getting that done without warping the frame is the big problem. I came up with a home-made rig that comes close to the same functionality but requires no welding on the mill. Everything bolts on. Search "home made hydraulics"
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

woodmills1

find a used mill in the model you like and sell yours, keep cutting with yours till you can upgrade.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Stuart Caruk

I almost always laugh when I read all the worrying and fretting about people welding on their mills. With a bit of pre planning, and a decent welding schedule, you can weld most anything. Doing it wrong though also insures things can warp badly. I wouldn't think twice about welding in an offset on a frame, and then cutting the frame apart.

But, then, I'm just finishing up building the entire frame extension for my LX450. so far it's turning out great. Works as good as (better actually) than the original, and I didn't have any jigs and fixtures to assemble it.

I'll likely be adding in the backstops, clamps and an extra log turner to my extension purchased form Woodmizer. While I have all the tools, I can't build it for what they sell it for. I'd have never built my extension if they were available.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

47sawdust

It is doable and many have done it,but.....I would have to agree with Woodmills that you would be better off to upgrade.

The list at the bottom of the page will show how others have done it.Great new feature.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

scully

To make your mill into a super you would add another pump . I'm not sure but I would check and see if your electrical system could support the extra draw. I think you would have to add a bigger alternator and upgrade your fuseable links etc. As for the clamp ,I strongly suggest that that mod be done bye someone with welding and fabricating skills . That is a serious mod to the mill . Personally speaking I could do it ,but I have the back ground with that type of thing . It aint farm welding I can assure you .  
I bleed orange  .

richard boyd

Thanks for all the replies and concerns. If someone with the newer lt40 could or would send me some close up pic. of the frame and how it is all set up I would appreciate it. Also if it's a super hydraulic send me a few pic. of hydraulic tank if possible. Thanks again for all your help. 

Magicman

There is no tank as such.  There are two hydraulic pumps each of which have their own built in reservoir.  The motor is to the left and the actual pump is inside of the reservoir.  The red plug is on the reservoir.

Here is a picture of one pump.  The other is right above it and they are plumbed together and the two solenoids activates them together.

Here is another picture but you can't see much.  The second hydraulic pump is directly below the yellow ammeter. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

richard boyd

Thank you Magicman for the photos. I believe I know about adding the new clamp on where the frame needs to be cut. I have a few friends that are welders and a couple friends that are engineers to do the work if I go this route.

starmac

I am thinking a guy would have to add another hydraulic valve also, to upgrade to a dual plane clamp.

I would like to have the dual plane clamp on mine, but think the roller toeboards  would be an easy and a more needed upgrade.

richard boyd

Yes I'm going to have to add another valve to do the mod. I'm hoping to add one like on a tractor loader that will work in 2 directions. Push up or pull down works one function or side to side will work the other function.

paul case

Just figure out how to do what the 2 plane clamp does with the flip plate clamp and you will have it made. Only took me 5 years to figure out it cant be done. I dont saw that much anyway.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

47sawdust

There was a post in the past year about using a joy stick to control the 2 plane clamp.It was pretty slick.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

richard boyd

Paul Case it can be done and has been done. Woodmizer built these mill and they are human so the way I have all ways looked at things they are no different from you and I. I have a group of friends with all the knowledge and know how to do it. Yes I could go buy a mill with all the bells and whistles for 40k or spend 6k on what I already have and in the end have the same thing.  If I have all this done it will look professional.

Ga Mtn Man

I think you misunderstood Paul's post.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

richard boyd

Sorry did not mean to sound harsh. Yes with the flip plate clamps you can't do anything with them. I just don't want people thinking things can't be done when they can. To many people sale there self's short and I know if you put your mind to do something and believe in yourself you can do anything you want to do. That's what I was trying to get across. Did not mean to offend anyone in any way.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Dave Shepard

A Super is more than just the pumps. The up/ down is faster and stronger, as is the head travel system. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

starmac

If my thinking is right, the head itself is heavier duty on a super, at least I think it is on my old mill. I know they claim mine can not take the weight of the diesel, possibly that is just because the up down motors are smaller and will not lift it though.

In all reality, mine is fast enough to suit me, but the two plane clamp and the roller toe boards would sure be nice to have.

Dave Shepard

The gear box is not strong enough for a bigger engine. The head frame is pretty much the same. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

starmac

richard boyd

I had to put a bigger up and down motor on mine because it had a 24hp on it and I put a 36hp on it. That added more weight but love the power now.

Thank You Sponsors!