iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

we just put out food and keeps them coming.  I am sure they prefer some protein as well.  we do grape jelly for the Orioles.  milo and sunflower seeds for the song birds,  cardinals and bluejays.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Chuck White

Today is the first day I've seen the baby Orioles come in with their parents!

The baby just sits there fluttering it's wings and the parent gets a mouthful of grape jelly, turns and gives it to the baby!

Just takes a while I guess, for the little ones to learn to eat for themselves!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

We have wood peckers feeding the young ones. The young ones are almost as big as the parents!!! Had a customer come into the store and tell me the same thing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

My Carolina wrens in the vase have hatched and the mom is tending there. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

robin babies.  there are 4 in the nest you can see when they are eating.  cannot see them all when mom and dad are gone.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

KEC

Crusarius, There is really no way to attract them. But in the general area we have both Black-billed Cuckoos and Yellow-billed Cuckoos, both of which like to eat hairy caterpillars. These birds are notoriously secretive/hard to see but  can be heard. They are thought to gravitate to areas with caterpillars. Do a search and you can listen to recordings of birds on Cornell's site. Search Black-billed or Yellow-billed Cuckoo. Most people have never heard of either.

Crusarius

Thanks KEC, I will try that.

WV Sawmiller

Just before dark I heard a noise outside and looked out to see an old doe jumping the pasture fence at the gate here about 30 yards from my seat on the sofa. She ran another 20-30 yards and stopped and looked back like something had startled her. As near as I can figure she had walked under my bluebird box 7-8 yards from where I saw her and I assume the bluebirds sent her packing. 

While I was stacking some heavy walnut slabs out at my pole barn yesterday I heard Sampson, my 13 lb drama queen rat terrier, yelp several times then he returned to my protection. I assume he made the same mistake. A snake bite would not have scared him any worse. Poor little guy - he's got a rough life. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Those are some gangland birds you've got there!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SwampDonkey

I heard a doe in the woods when the brush saw shut off for a fill up. She was snort'n and blow'n down in the woods, a piece that was thinned a few years ago. Possibly has a fawn.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

KEC

A dog I used to have got the heck kicked out of her for fooling with a fawn. Cured her of bothering deer.

WV Sawmiller

I checked the bluebird box again today and narrowly escaped with my life as I was buzzed by both mom and dad. :D It looks like all 5 babies hatched okay. My wife and I were discussing yesterday whether they will have time to raise another clutch after these graduate and leave home. It may be a near thing but we hope they do.

Howard Green

Ron Scott

"Don't Thread On Me"! ;)
~Ron

KEC

I've heard of and seen a few very aggressive bluebirds before; the pair that nested here this year dive-bombed me. The downside of a fiesty blue bird though, is that some outdoor housecats learn to let the bluebird swoop at them and then snatch the bluebird right out of the air as it flies by. I watched a cat get a Tree Swallow that way once.

WV Sawmiller

We had a litter of cats in Fla one time. One solid white, one solid black, one a black and gray striped tabby. We would watch them in the yard and a pair of mockingbirds would harass the tabby unmercifully in the yard and pay no attention to the white or black siblings 3-4 feet away. All we could speculate was the tabby was colored more like a native bobcat.
Howard Green

Tacotodd

When I was about 8, my family had a long haired caleco cat that belonged to my oldest sister. The cat had an original name. Patches. Anyway, my mom witnessed Patches pull a swooping bird right out of the air like you described. It must have been the sight for mom! Even though she was raised extremely poor, she had never seen such a thing. Dad did not seem very surprised, after all, a Marine until the day he died. A sight to behold!
Trying harder everyday.

SwampDonkey

They'll have lots of time to grow. The first summer we had blue birds with two families and we are further north than you folks. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

And sometimes the birds come to you. If you live beachfront in NZ you can end up with penguins living under your house.  :D

https://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/122235749/welcome-to-ames-st-where-humans-and-penguins-live-together-in-homes
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

Whooooo ??

I guess this guy could read and felt right at home.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

to paraphrase the quote from Jaws,  "I think you are going to need a bigger hole!"

thecfarm

I've had hawks sit on top of my bluebird houses.   smiley_furious3 smiley_whip
I just walk towards the bluebird house.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

He is welcome to come park on the front of my house and maybe he will keep the woodpeckers away. They come down starting right after sunrise and wake us up and make a final visit just before dark and throughout the day. When I get up and go chase them away they fly to the walnut tree 50' away and by the time I return to my seat on the sofa they are back. Its like it is a game with them.

I got out and took an updated picture of my bluebirds but it is hard to make out much more detail on them. I tried several times to get pictures of the attacking dad as he swooped within 6" of my head but none of my pictures came out with my little point and shoot. I may have to get out there with my wife and her big professional Canon camera and big, fast lenses and try again.

Howard Green

Crusarius

Quote from: Magicman on August 01, 2020, 05:43:38 PM
Whooooo ??

I guess this guy could read and felt right at home.  :)
I bet he was hoping that the birds felt welcome and didn't notice him :)

WV Sawmiller

I kept hearing a tapping sound and thought Sampson was scratching or moving something on the front porch so I started over to see what he was into. When I got up I noticed it was a male cardinal on the side window on the house. I guess he was having issues with that other bird in the window. :D
Howard Green

terrifictimbersllc

Sometimes I return to my truck at the boat launch,  and find a seagull staring into the fender. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!