iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tenon cutter

Started by Larry, May 08, 2024, 10:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

I have been making chairs, stools, and benches for a long time. I've always used tapered mortise and tenons for the leg joints. To make the leg tenons I've always made them on the lathe. To get a good fit it always took a few tries to get a perfect fit. I've been wanting to try the Lee Valley tenon cutter to speed production but the size I need seems to be always out of stock......so I made one today.

Similar to what is called a rounding plane for making dowels but I need it to make tapered tenons.

Most commonly a old plane iron is used for the cutter but I did not have one so I grabbed a piece of 1095 tool steel and made the cutter. When I milled the slots I made them .030 wider than the bolts to allow for adjustments.

Just like a pencil sharpener. Stupid mistake, I put the cutter on the wrong side so I have to turn the leg left to cut. They can be made to cut with the leg held in a vise but since all my legs are tapered and hard to clamp I turn the leg into the cutter.

The end result.

First try into a test mortise and with luck the fit was close. I tweaked it just a hair and got it perfect. I have lots of chairs to make and this should speed production.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Brad_bb

That looks sweet!  I like the use of Osage for the body too.  Good choice.  I'm inspired, and I'll think I'll make a similar dowel maker  with Osage.  I think I have an extra plane iron.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Ljohnsaw

Cool! But what do you use to make the tapered hole?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Larry

For these chairs I drill a 5/8" hole than follow up with a 12 degree tapered reamer I bought from Lee Valley. The tenon cutter pictured cuts a 12 degree taper to match.

I also have 6 and 8 degree shop made reamers that I sometimes use.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!