iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Filling up your tensioner

Started by 4x4American, May 17, 2015, 07:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

I need to fill up my tensioner...there's got to be a better way to do it than they say in the manual, no?
Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

So that was what you were saying. I had bad service and couldn't quite make out your message. I haven't had to do anything to mine, so I don't know what they want you to do in the manual. Did it fail suddenly?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

GAB

If it helps you any I found that using a syringe to put the oil in was the easiest and least messy way of doing it.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: GAB on May 17, 2015, 07:47:32 PM
If it helps you any I found that using a syringe to put the oil in was the easiest and least messy way of doing it.
Gerald

I have a syringe I bought when I bought Round Up at Lowes. It has a tube on the end of it to measure the amount of Round Up I put in a gallon of water.
I use this same syringe to add ATF to my tensioner. It works great.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

4x4American

Thanks fellers...no I just need to add fluid dave, it has air in it and turns over really hard to get up to psi.  No worries, my friend who has same mill is stopping in tomorrow am to help me with it.  He said he tensions/fills his a handful of times per year.  I asked him where the fluid was going he said he didn't know cause can't see any wet spots!
Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

That's odd. I'm headed into year eight and never added any. Like you said, must have had an air bubble in yours.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chuck White

Servicing the Blade Tensioner

Add an Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) such as Dexron III ATF to
the hydraulic blade tensioner as needed. To add enough fluid to completely fill the tensioner block:
1. Unscrew the tensioner handle to reveal 2” of thread. Remove the sawmill blade housing covers and blade.
2. Push the idle-side blade wheel/shaft housing all the way in to collapse the rear tensioner piston. Pull the idle-side blade wheel/shaft housing away from the tensioner.
3. There are two fill plugs provided on the tensioner. For easiest access, it is recommended to use the hole behind the gauge to refill the tensioner. Clean any dirt and debris from the plug area. Use a 7/16” wrench to remove the plug, making sure to keep the plug o-ring with the plug.
4. Use a small funnel, cup or squirt can to add hydraulic fluid through the fill plug hole until a puddle of fluid forms and is maintained over the fill hole. As you maintain the puddle, manually extend the rear piston. Be careful not to draw air into the tensioner. Use pliers to pull the rear piston if necessary, but only grip the outer 1/4” of the rear piston. Gripping or marring the surface beyond this point could result in seal damage and prevent the system
from holding tension. Continue pulling out the piston as far as it will travel.
5. Reinsert the plug and thread 2-3 turns. Turn the tension handle clockwise until 6 or 7 threads show beyond the front piston block. Tighten the plug all the way.
6. Push the idle-side blade wheel/shaft housing all the way in to collapse the rear tensioner piston. If the piston does not extend at least 2” from the end of the tensioner block, repeat Steps 1-5.
7. Reinstall the blade and blade housing covers. If you have trouble installing a blade, it may be necessary to remove some fluid. Open the plug one turn and turn the tension handle in until some fluid is pushed out. Tighten the plug and retry.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!