iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old video about axe making in Oakland Maine, USA

Started by scsmith42, February 17, 2014, 02:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

I stumbled across this video and thought that y'all would enjoy it.  This is a short film made by Peter Vogt in 1965 about axe making in Oakland, Maine. It documents the process of creating fine axes in the Emerson Stevens shop -- the last axe factory to operate in Oakland. Oakland was once a world-famous center of quality blade-making.

The video was made in 1965 and shows the last two employees that still made axes the old fashioned way.

The entire video is interesting, but in particular I enjoyed looking at the wooden beam trip hammers.  Gave me some ideas....

http://www.folkstreams.net/film,312

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

goose63

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

beenthere

Great old video.

As far as comparing with new stuff today, what would be the real difference in performance?

The old way:
Sharpens better?
Holds up better?
Cuts deeper?
Swings easier?
Lasts longer?
Looks better?

??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

Thanks for sharing that. The blacksmiths at Hancock Shaker Village have been building a wooden beam trip hammer that is a copy of the one from the Mount Lebanon Shaker Village, Lebanon, NY, for about 20 years. It's become a multi-generational project. This pic is from '07. It's much more complete now, another 10 years should see it running. :D Just kidding, I hope. :o

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samandothers

Really neat process.  No measuring, all hand eye and craftsman!

Bill Gaiche

That was interesting. American made with pride and craftsmanship. bg

sandhills

That kind of craftmanship is one thing which I had half the ability to do, a lot like what we see here in the woodworking threads,thanks for sharing.

36 coupe

My axes are all old ones.The new ones are a joke.Narrow polls, wacky shapes.My axes were handed down from my Dad and Uncle.They cut wood with axes and saws, no chain saws.

Mooseherder

I see Folkstreams has quite a catalog of Film titles.  You could get lost in there for a few weeks :)
Tom had talked about Folkstreams back in 2011 and others had posted links to their films before.
After watching the axe making video I watched one on Lawrence Older who was in the Logging Industry in the Adirondacks.
The film focuses on his music, talks about the Logging Camps with pictures around the ten minute mark and he also performs some old Logging songs towards the end.  Pete Seegar is in the documentary a couple times.

http://www.folkstreams.net/film,189

mad murdock

That was well worth the watch!! Thanks for posting it up!  I have been rediscovering old axes I have found around the treefarm here and in the woods at work. Getting a good collection. I lover returning old tools, and putting them back to work!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Okrafarmer

My mom grew up in Belgrade, Maine, which is right next to Oakland. She attended high school in Oakland. That's my ancestral stomping grounds, there!
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!