iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logosol PH260

Started by boardmaker, September 23, 2014, 09:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boardmaker

Looking for some help from you guys.  I have been looking for a used Baker or Logosol for awhile.  I've spoke with several knife manufacters looking for advice on the machines.  I was informed that when the ph260 was introduced the upper molding head could only remove 3/8" of material.  The later models where improved and they can remove 3/4" of material.  That is a big upgrade that I feel I have to have.  He was unsure of the year the changes were made.  The model I'm looking at is approximately a 2006.

Would any of you guys know what year the change was made or how to tell?

While I'm at it, what should I look for in a used small 4 head molder?  Anything to avoid?  I was really leaning toward a Baker, but would settle for a Logosol.

Side Note:  I'm leaning towards one of these smaller 4 head machines for two reasons.  The power requirements.  I only have single phase so I'm going to have to build a RPC.  And the footprint.  My shop isn't huge. 

boardmaker

I can officially say it's after 2006.  The owner looked in his manual, and it says that the top head can remove a maximum of 3/8". 

When comparing new models, the Baker weighs nearly a 1000lbs more.  I like more weight when it comes to moulders. 
Any reason I shouldn't narrow my search to just Bakers?

Has anyone really every compared the two?

scsmith42

I compared them in 2008 and found the Baker to be a much more capable machine.

Today I would probably lean more towards a PH360.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

boardmaker

Scott,
We spoke on the phone a couple weeks ago.  I want to thank you for all your help. 
The 360 is nice, but I'd like to buy used to hopefully save money and possibly pick up some tooling with the machine. 

The Baker must have a lot more metal in it to weigh a 1000 more.
That's gotta help. 

Thanks again

scsmith42

Glad to help.  The Baker has more HP than the Logosol PH260, which to me was a key selling point...
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!