iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is it finally tomorrow?

Started by broylescc, March 16, 2012, 10:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broylescc

8)Well lately it seemed to me like I was never gonna get my "new to me" mill back together. I have been saying "well I should get everything up and running tomorrow" for about a month now, and my business and unexpected things have always came up. I thought yesterday would be the day. I got my mill leveled up, got all the new lift cables adjusted, and set a small cedar log on the mill. Started up my freshened up 16hp briggs and started to make my first pass since rebuilding my mill. I made it about 4' in the log and the engine dies and wont start back. So I check the gas. Its a little low so I put a few gallons in and it starts right up. Let it run a few seconds and start in the log again. It dies same spot. Now Im getting mad and its getting dark. So I take the blade off since its dark and try everything I can think of to get this thing running, but It runs a minute or so then dies. Well today I go by the shop that just did the work on the engine and he says he will run by when he closes up his shop. We finallly conclude that it has to be a fuel problem, but we try everything. Finally after about an hour of searching we decide to call it quits. The Larry looks up and started laughing. I just think hes finally snapped, and he says well I see the problem. He had put the inline gas shut off valve , thats tucked out of site under the gas tank, on backwards. It has a metal rod that sticks out of the front schroud with a on/off sticker on it. So when we thought we had it on it was off and off was on. We both felt stupid. But to make a really long story shorter I thing I will actually get to saw a real log tomorrow if I can get this set of cabinets sprayed out tomorrow. I will let yall know tomorrow!!

WDH

:D :D :D  Sometimes AC is DC so you have to be careful  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave VH

when I first got my forklift, it ran great the first day.  The second day it wouldn't start, just dead as dead.  I tore into everything on it for about 3 hours.  Only to find out that my boys played with the shifter, and it was just a little off of neutral.  It looked fine, but it was enough off that it wouldn't start.  I felt kinda dumb, but happy with it now.  I hope that you're happy with your mill tomorrow.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

sawguy21

That is too funny. :D :D Wish I could say I have never done anything like that.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

broylescc

Yep its been one of those weeks. Also today when I was unloading my first big load of free pine logs from my friends trailer my fork lift blew a seal in the cylinder an blew hyd. fluid about 10' in the air and landed in my lap! But I got to try my new winch on my jeep out so it wasnt to bad. But now that reminds me, how am I gonna load my logs on the mill tomorrow? Well maybe I can repack it and get it to work at least for a few logs......

1woodguy

Been there and done similar things usually by self so it never happened  played the gas shut off and several others like it used to put safety switches hidden and forget about them work half a day before it dawned on me what was wrong
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

ScottAR

I dunno how I missed ya for 6 posts broylescc, But welcome to the forum!
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Magicman

I missed you too.  :-[  Welcome to the Forestry Forum, broylescc.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

broylescc

Well just to let y'all know I did get to saw 1 pine log late yesterday evening and it was awesome! I did learn alot in just one log. I'm cutting 16' 2x8's for a lean to one the back of one of my shops. First thing I learned is green lumber is really heavy!! And second is that you can't back up at all with a band mill cause your band will pop off!! Man it was a blast!

Magicman

Make yourself a backing up tool out of about a 2' section of broken band.  Drive a plastic wedge in to open the cut and use the tool to clear the sawdust from behind the band and now you can back out.  And didn't I did say to never try to back up with the clutch engaged  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I have backed off a few bands in my day  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

broylescc

Thats a great idea that I will have to try! Im sure that I have many many lessons to learn.

Magicman

At least you do not have to learn some of them the way I did.   :-\

Thank You Sponsors!