iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 041av

Started by bigdog5, March 08, 2009, 04:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdog5

I was given a running 041 the other day, when shut off, I can spin the chain in the opposite direction freely, but cannot move the chain in the cutting direction, seems to be catching somewhere.  Took the bar off and noticed that the tin or metal plate or guard that covers the chain tensioner has a groove cut through it below the tensioner, not sure what to do.  It is old but free, and a dealer I talked to doesn't work on them anymore, don't really want to spend too much money on it.  When I started it, it runs and turns when giving it the gas; leave as is or is there a simple fix.  I was thinking of buying a new saw, when a buddy told me I could have this one.  Seems like a heavy solid saw, just would use it for cutting up tree length for firewood.
                                              Thanks,
                                                              john

Rockfarmer

Hell ya!!  8) Thats a great saw! That plate is like 5$. Look around on ebay. Good score!!

Rocky_J

The 'catching' is often caused by a worn out sprocket. That's a common wear item, just like the bar and chain, but many people overlook it and run the saw until the chain cuts through the sprocket.

I'm not sure if the 041 has the same sprocket style as modern saws, but nowadays they are very standardized and any saw shop will have the 3-4 different styles in stock.

bigdog5

Thanks for the info guys,
                                                 John

sawguy21

Don't worry about the worn plate. It is the result of running the chain too loose. As long as the chain is kept correctly tensioned it will not be a problem.
What Rocky said about the sprocket .Not sure if it is still available from Stihl, the Oregon rim sprocket is 13916X or 18200X, the spur sprocket is 32060X.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

bigdog5

Thank You Sawguy, took it to a dealer, said stihl doesn't make that part anymore, but is seeing if he can find a part from oregon.
                                         Thanks,
                                                            John

rebocardo

I had a problem like that and it was the nose sprocket on the bar, missing a tooth.

The other thing that will cause it is a bad link that has a little bend right at the point.

bandmiller2

John,you lucked out 041 is a classic,I was given one by an old friend ,with little use,its like driving an old lincoln.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bigdog5

Thanks Frank, I agree, hopefully the repair shop will get a sprocket for it and go over it; like to start cutting some firewood with it.  The price was a lot cheaper than a new saw, looking forward to using it.
                                                         Best, John

Thank You Sponsors!