iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bad deal!

Started by will49766, March 19, 2020, 09:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

I will just throw out there, that viral stuff with cough fever and runny nose has happened every winter for my 30 years as a pediatrician,  every winter.  most viruses have symptoms for 5 to 7 days.  if the inflammation stays you may cough for 6 weeks, like mycoplasma we called walking pneumonia in the old days.  stay well!  good luck with your property search!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

dougtrr2

It sounds like this is your ideal place.  I wouldn't be too quick too eliminate it from consideration.  She did not act in good faith; but what if she had?  What if she had disclosed before your offer that she had already contracted for some walnut harvesting?  Would that have significantly changed your offer?  I would be very cautious to make sure there aren't any other surprises but I think I might go ahead.

When I bought my small acreage we only looked at three properties on one weekend.  Once we saw this one we knew it was the one.  Any other looking would have just been comparing back to this one.  That was done in 1984 and we have never regretted it.

Good Luck,
Doug in SW IA

DDW_OR

Quote from: barbender on March 20, 2020, 12:00:35 PM
How do you know Covid-19 is like a flu virus? I listened yesterday to an epidemiologist explaining that Covid-19, being a coronavirus, could be more similar to MERS, a similar coronavirus that transmits from camels on the Arabian peninsula in 110° temps without a problem.
i STAND CORRECTED.
"let the machines do the work"

will49766

Update on my home purchasing adventure:

I guess good things come to those who wait.  We were able to find a place on 5 acres with a huge barn that will work perfectly for my mill.  The property is secluded, for the most part with a 60x80 horse arena with attached 24x32 original barn and 16x28 hay storage off the same side as the original barn.  I was thinking I could make the hay storage a kiln at some point.  This is right around the corner from Buskirk Lumber in Freeport, Michigan.  The house needs to be redone inside and out but it will be nice when were done with it.  This property doesn't come with the trees the other one had, but it's nice and in our price range. 8)  Here are some pictures.  We close tomorrow morning.  Possession in 30 days.  It was an 8 month search, looked at 23 properties all together.  We were just not finding anything in our price range that met the needs until this popped up.  It's absolutely perfect.

This is a picture of the property in 1999.

Thought I would share.
Will Houghmaster

DDW_OR

nice deck on the house.
lots of room for a greenhouse, garden, logs, and lumber

Wudman

Congrats.  Nothing like owning your own corner of the world.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

will49766

Thanks DDW.  Both the front and back porches will have to be tore down and rebuilt.  I think the back porch may have rotted the house where it attaches.  The dormers leaked down into the master bedroom and the living room as well...  I have to open up the drywall above these rooms and make sure we don't have mold.  The roof was replaced a few years ago but I'm going to check and make sure there are no more leaks just in case...  There are lots of projects that will more than likely keep me away from using my mill.  Hoping to possibly mill up some decorative beams/supports for the front porch though.   It will be nice to finally be out of the little apartment we are currently in. Was able to find time earlier this month to put about 10 hours more on my mill.  I have just under 30 hours on it now.  I was able to cut up a bunch of red oak I plan to use for trim eventually.  I have learned a lot from this forum. 
Will Houghmaster

thecfarm

Sounds good. Enjoy!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Klicker

It looks and sounds great enjoy 8) 8) 8)
2006 LT 40 HD

barbender

Thanks for the follow up post, and congrats on finding a place that works for you👍
Too many irons in the fire

DDW_OR

Quote from: will49766 on July 22, 2020, 02:56:44 PM
Thanks DDW.  ......... I was able to cut up a bunch of red oak I plan to use for trim eventually.  I have learned a lot from this forum.
Choosing Wood for Outdoor Projects: Five Fast Facts
according to this article Red Oak is for indoor use. Outdoor if painted
White Oak is better. stain to look like red oak

since the house is a fix-it-upper, you will be using the Mill a lot.
maybe add an Outdoor wood furnace to heat the Kiln and house and wood shop
got to do something with all of that sawmill scrap and sawdust

will49766

DDW,

Great article, I have book marked it for reference.  All the red oak I have cut up will be used for interior trim mainly around doors and windows.  I cut a lot of wide material with the idea to fabricate new custom window sills.  I will need to do some more research here on the forum to get ideas for the porches.  I am going to use store bought treated lumber as needed and reuse a lot of the old lumber but it would be nice to add a decorative beam in somehow since I do have a mill.   I have a Central Boiler 6048 wood boiler that I will be installing before winter.  That will be a project all to itself.  I removed it from the house we sold and kept the heat exchangers and water heater with the side arm already attached.  The furnace plenum at the new house is the exact same size as the old house so my exchanger will slip right in without too much trouble.  I just have to figure out how I am going to transport the stove from where it is 90 minutes away.  The vendor I rented the trailer from up north wasn't all that friendly and I really don't want to use his rig again.  There are other dealers here I will have to contact to get that done.  The new house is currently heated with propane so I really need to get the boiler installed before winter.  Plus the wood heat is so much more cozy.

The work begins in 30 days when we get possession.  It will be nice to be out of our 800 sq ft apartment for sure!

Thanks for you input and thanks to all that responded.

Will

Here's a picture of the red oak trim I cut a couple weeks ago.  The boiler is sitting next to the stack.  I have some reject boards from a dull blade propped up against the stove.  I milled a total of 15 logs from the property we sold in Greenbush last fall.  More trim than I need actually.  I am not sure it will look all that great to use for floor trim though due to the lengths.  Most boards are going to be around 9 feet long.

Will Houghmaster

jb616

Last year when I bought my 40, I purposely walked the property the day before close to make sure there were no shenanigans... 

Satamax

Sawmill shed, sawmill shed, sawmill shed

That's what rings in my head when i see this! 

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: will49766 on July 22, 2020, 02:56:44 PM
Thanks DDW.  Both the front and back porches will have to be tore down and rebuilt.  I think the back porch may have rotted the house where it attaches.  The dormers leaked down into the master bedroom and the living room as well...  I have to open up the drywall above these rooms and make sure we don't have mold.  The roof was replaced a few years ago but I'm going to check and make sure there are no more leaks just in case...  There are lots of projects that will more than likely keep me away from using my mill.  Hoping to possibly mill up some decorative beams/supports for the front porch though.   It will be nice to finally be out of the little apartment we are currently in. Was able to find time earlier this month to put about 10 hours more on my mill.  I have just under 30 hours on it now.  I was able to cut up a bunch of red oak I plan to use for trim eventually.  I have learned a lot from this forum.
How did you turn out with the house inspection on everything 

will49766

Both my inspection and the appraisal inspection passed.  The leaky roof was the biggest issue but it had been replaced and none of the issues I found were flagged by the appraisal inspection.  The owner is an elderly lady.  Her husband passed away in April of 2019.  They had just let the house go downhill really and it's evident.  It's more than likely why I got it cheaper.  I will probably have to put around 15 to 20k into remodeling it.  If you look around at comparable places with the same amount of land and same size house we were looking at being well over 300k which was just too much for our comfort. 
Will Houghmaster

Walnut Beast

Sounds like it will work out pretty good for you. Many projects you will be able to do yourself. Your wife probably wants a horse 🐎 now😂. Congratulations on your new place

DDW_OR

you cannot eat a horse, but a steer yes. get a MINIMUM of 3.
1 you, family, and friends eat
2 you sell. then use the $$ to buy another 3, and have some $ left over.

buy 5 and have much more $$$$ left.

I have not done this because i live on 1.5 acres

in a year or two I will be installing the Classic Edge 760 Titanium HDX
Classic Edge Titanium HDX Series | Central Boiler Outdoor Furnaces - YouTube

Thank You Sponsors!