iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belsaw Edger Question and picture

Started by UNCLEBUCK, October 07, 2003, 02:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UNCLEBUCK

I bought this old edger and rebuilt the wood frame last year before I learned how to run the sawmill , put a 4cylinder wisconsin and gas tank from a old grain swather , question is do I need the angle iron fence on as it shows in the picture,it is just screwed down to the same angle as it was on the old framework, it seems to make cutting very dangerous, i hate it on there ! I be back in a week to see any answers, going across the u.p to south lyon michigan to see my fiance, she wont move to the farm until I build her a small country cottage house with the sawmill ! trip #4 across the mackinaw bridge. I love going across the u.p ! thanks
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

AtLast

shopteacher

You don't have that cottage up yet?  Your edger looks great. Can't help with the fence as I don't have an edger or have ever run one.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

pappy

Just luvs dem kolors on dat hedger

ya best hurry up with dat cottage

sorry Buck just couldn't resist it
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

ElectricAl

Granted this is a little different than the Belsaw but the princible is the same.

You need a fence that is inline with the fixed blade. The fence needs to swing up for a flitch. So you can edge with two blades. Then swing down the fence to just use the moveable blade.
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

D._Frederick

Uncle,
The angle iron looks like it is on the output side of your edger. It is used for a splitter and a guide, it helps to guide the board through the edger straight. It should be aligned with the fixed blade.  Take it off and see if you get boards that not bowed, then you don't need it.

solidwoods

I have/use this machine (from the pic it looks the same, mine is original yellow, can't remember the mod.#).  I use 1.25" tall angle iron for the fence.  It is in line with the right blade or fixed blade.  It is on the outfeed side.  I have mine set up so the fence can be moved 1" in and out (too and away from the total cutting width. Fence out full is for a board with a straight edge to run on and the movable blade cuts a new straight/parallel edge... Fence in 1" will cut off 1" of wood on the fence side (to re-edge for clean up or if no straight edge at all)  In the future I will make more movement in the fence.  About 3" would be nice. Of cource having a movable fence forces you to set the fixed blade away from the fence side.  this does take away from your overall cutting width, but it gives you the ability to make 2 straight edge cutts in one pass for some pieces.
JIM
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

D._Frederick

Solidwood,
I guess that I don't understand how your guide works? If it is in line with the fixed blade on the out feed side, how can you size with it? If you move it out of alignment your flitches will butt into it and stop the feed.

solidwoods

Now I know I should proof read bettter.  Infeed side,,the side before the blades JIM. (I had a cat on the desk chasing my mouse).
Having the moveable fence does take away from overall cutting width, but it offers some more cutting moves.
That edger was still made a couple of yrs ago.

JIM.
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

UNCLEBUCK

wow thanks for all the response ! just got home ! i will take the fence off and then see if i get a bowed board or not and then i will leave it off if it looks good . this edger was yellow but i had a extra can of paint so it became bright green, i have a throttle on this wisconsin motor and the edger is somehow geared so no matter how fast i run the motor it coordinates with the feed rate so its easy but at idle is plenty fast for me, thanks for the answers everyone because i am still a rookie and also no my bride to be stayed in michigan again ,almost had her locked in the pickup ready to go to minnesota, ;) cant blame her for stayin because michigan was beautiful this last week ! ;D

UNCLEBUCK

also thanks to Mitch for helping me with the picture crunch ! again thanks to all of you ! wish i knew something so i could help someone out like you guys do for me when i need it ! ;D

shopteacher

Your turn will come! ;D You really don't know how much you know until the right questions are asked. ???
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

UNCLEBUCK

that is the truth ShopTeacher ! I tried edging without the angle iron fence and it worked just great and board was straight as a string, i just cant figure out why it was on the old framework and at such a severe angle ! thanks everyone ! i save alot of lumber by edging and it really shows up in the size differance of the slab pile, see i am learning, just didnt want a board to come zinging by me but i know enough to not stand directly behind this green 2 bladed monster ! :P

Thank You Sponsors!