iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawyer killed by MD Insert ?

Started by Gilman, July 19, 2006, 03:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilman

I heard about a sawyer in Idaho that was killed last week running a MD mill.  Apparently he hit something and an insert came loose and shot him through the eye.  Can anyone confirm this?

When running the MD mill I was always a bit unnerved whenever the edger blade was inline with my chest or face.  Has anyone added extra guarding to their MD mills?
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

UNCLEBUCK

On my circle mill I bought that bullet proof glass on ebay and hung it where I stand just in case .
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

DanG

As a MD operator, I'd sure like to hear more about that, Gilman.  I really don't see how that would happen, though, as all the forces are working to keep the teeth and shanks in place.  In the event of a sudden stoppage, I can envision a shank coming loose, but there doesn't seem to be enough momentum in the edger shanks to do that much damage.  The main blade has more energy, but is protected by a large, stout guard.

Where did you hear about it?  I'd like to try and chase down the story if you could give me a starting place.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Gilman

A friend of mine was vacationing in Idaho when he heard it happened.  I'll have to ask him how he heard about it.

I called the factory and talked to the receptionist, she said she didn't hear anything about it.  I wonder if it happened when my source said it did, or if it might have been a different type of mill?

I'd like to know more of the details myself.  I'll probably be running a MD mill in a few months for a customer.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Thank You Sponsors!