iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mountain firewood kiln

Started by APF wood products, February 01, 2010, 11:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

APF wood products

does anyone have a mountain firewood kiln or have any comments on them?

LeeB

Can't comment as I have never even heard of one. Does it dry any other wood or just mountain wood?  :D  Sorry, I couldn't resist. Tell me more about this kiln if you don't mind.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

APF wood products

the company is called mountain firewood kilns. they are out of new hampshire. the company says you can dry green firewood in 3 to 5 days using a boiler. i just wanted to know if anyone has used one or what they have herd about them.

WH_Conley

Sounds a little too good to be true.

Wasn't  there a guy a few years ago that kilned his firewood for a short period of time then got busted as the interior moisture came out?
Bill

APF wood products

im not sure about that guy. that is why im trying to get input from someone else who has dealt with this kiln or knows someone who has.

WH_Conley

Looked at their site, looks good. Maybe too good. Would not want to say.

Welcome aboard anyhow. Pull up a stump and have a seat.
Bill

solidwoods

Quote from: WH_Conley on February 02, 2010, 08:09:14 AM
Sounds a little too good to be true.

Wasn't  there a guy a few years ago that kilned his firewood for a short period of time then got busted as the interior moisture came out?

Ohh my gosh!
I didn't know it was illegal to let the interior moisture out,,  crud, I've been doing that for years.
(sorry, I couldn't resist either) :D

But to APF- What size dryer are you needing?  Unless its huge, I'd consider building one, especialy if you mill.
Track load, roll in an end door, ground recycled styrofoam insulated, wood fired water heat is easy to make and very safe  (sans steam pressure).
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

D4ster

Before I say much at all I should announce to all concerned that I work for a company that makes lumber, pallet, & firewood kilns (not Mountain).  The reason for my comment here is that I wanted to post a link to help anwser basic questions about drying firewood, the energy required, et al.  It is a very good website to answering questions that regard drying of just about any wood product.

http://www.kiln-direct.com/content/firewoodenergy/index.html 

Mountain has been around for some years-they have recently joined up with another Lumber kiln company to raise their visability.  My only N.B. is that anyone considering kilning firewood really do their homework in terms of BTU's needed to dry firewood properly- as some folks seem to be underpowered in the criticial energy production and transfer capability (BTU) versus their claims of realisitc drying times.

Thank You Sponsors!