Sponsors:

Kiln made from Semi-trailer

Started by hydeoutman, April 23, 2003, 11:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoubleD

ElectricAl How do you load the Kiln? Any pictures? Thank you for the info
Wannabe a sawmiller

ElectricAl

Well looks like I forgot to post photos a while back ::)

This is a 5' piece of track we drop in after the doors are opened.

Here are some of the carts. They are 48" x 72".  Two have flat top for pallets or we use skids for odd lenght lumber.

Track is made from 3" C channel and 2x2 sq tube.

We can normally push the carts in and out with two people. However some times we'll use 3 carts for two long bunks. Those have to be cabled. There is a pulley mounted in the front of the chamber. We can cable in and out with a forklift, tractor, skidsteer or yamaha ATV :D

It is hard to figure the real drying cost. We have one power meter for the whole business. Heat comes from a $5000 outdoor wood burner. So what is my time worth to cut firewood and feed the fire and clean the ash and pull maintaince? :-X

Wyatt,

You need some track ;)

I have seen 2" angle iron used with the point up and some V rollers
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

WH_Conley

Check out sawmill exchange, they have two listed already set up for kiln.
Bill

Ironwood

I used a rented hanging beef reefer trailer, It worked excellent. Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

nccherokee

I just purchased a 40' trailer and am wondering about a solar dying kiln to cut down on cost.  Does anyone have any ideas about how practical solar heating vs. wood burning setup would be.  Thanks, Fred Moretz

paul case

Welcome to the FF Fred.

I cant answer your question but you sure did bring up an old thread to start.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

I have no answers on drying but Welcome to the Forestry Forum,   nccherokee.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Solar collector of one square foot will trap an average of about 1000 BTU per day, which will evaporate about 1 pound of water per day, assuming very few heat losses.  As a rule of thumb, the collector, whether it is separate or part of the roof system for the kiln, should be 1 square foot per 10 BF of lumber in the kiln.  So, a 1000 BF kiln needs a 100 square foot collector.  This will dry 1000 BF of oak about 3% maximum per sunny summer day, which is perfect for 4/4.

In a month's time, a 100 sq ft collector will collect 100 x 30 x 1000 BTU = 3 million BTU, which is three therms of natural gas or under 1/5 cord of wood.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

LumberDan

Can anyone tell me what would happem if i stained and put polyurethane on my floor boards I recently milled?. I'm building a house Barn and I desperately need my floor in so I can put my bathroom in, I don't have time to wait 6-8 months nor the money to send my number out to a kiln so I'm throwing caution to the wind and laying it anyways LOL
I figure the stain is okay but I'm not sure about the polyurethane once the for drinks? Has anyone had that experience? I know the boards are shrinking and it will have a gap between them and that's okay I'm going to fill it with black silicone. With The Rustic look in the dark stain with a shiny finish on it I think it's going to look pretty cool I'm just not sure if the urethane wall crack?

LumberDan

Once the floor dries dang spell checker LOL

ScottCC

This is the best idea.  Instead of small sawers bringing would to the kiln you bring the kiln to them.  They provide the labor and electricity and in addition you provide the drying schedule and moisture meter.  For some extra bucks on the way to the next site you make a delivery to their customer. 
Necessity is the mother of invention.  Poverty is its big brother.  WM mp100, WM eg100, WM sp4000 chip extractor,  WM 260 molder on order ,WM electric  lt15 wide with extra track, 71 Oliver allterrain forklift, 26' flat bed trailer, road legal log arch, homemade kiln, AutoCAD lt15

Thank You Sponsors!