iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Price of logs

Started by Arkyrick, November 25, 2015, 07:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RPowers

Yep, definitely an Arkie thing, I get those calls all the time, plus the "you got any ________ for really cheap or free?" ones too. I just tell them that I don't buy logs, and if they want to pay me to make them into lumber then they can sell it to make their money. I am intending to get a tractor with front grapple and rear forestry winch, and then I will start buying good logs, but at my price. Remember that a landowner is only getting paid for about 50% of what the logger gets for his timber delivered to the mill(loggers feel free to correct me if that has changed recently), so that oak log that is worth .40/ft at the mill is worth .20/ft to him and that is if he has a marketable amount of timber. I'll offer less than that for single trees here and there, probably 50% of the current market for logs. Get a scale stick and offer $.15/ft in the logs and see. More for walnut or clear cherry or white oak obviously.

Ryan
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

never finished

How about narrowing down your location for me. We could be neighbors, never know?
I've got a friend in the cedar business that cant find a tree to buy lately . While I've got a pile of cedar logs from free trees. I had told him about them, then found out they were free to me. I had told the owner that he would buy them and gave his number. They called me back later and told me they would rather give um to me. Buying trees or logs around here is tricky. That was one of the good deals. I wasn't planning on getting in the sales business but now have several cedar, hard wood, and pine logs that were all nearly free. Now I have to start on a storage shed for lumber. I don't buy unless I think I can sell quick. But I just can't resist free stuff.     

Arkyrick

Hi R Powers and Never Finished maybe we could meet sometime and have a cup of coffee and a bowel of saw dust and trade stories.
Arkyrick
LT 35 hydraulic portable "73"Ford 335 tractor - lots of chains

Magicman

Or meet HERE and meet many FF members.  move_it
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Arkyrick

Oh yeah this is a great place to meet I agree!

Magicman

564 miles for me.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

RPowers

Heck I mill out by Lincoln on occasion. I'll have to swing by and chat sometime.
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

Arkyrick

You bet you! Stop by anytime.

Thank You Sponsors!