iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stump removal depth?

Started by jmsiowa, October 15, 2008, 01:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmsiowa

I had a right of way tree removed earlier this year and the company finally come back and ground the stump away.  But it only looks like he ground down about 4 to 6 inches below the soil line.  Is this the normal depth?  I will be getting a free tree from the city to replace it and the removal was free also, since it was city property.  And yes i know I can't put a new tree in the same spot as the old tree, which is good because the spot I want is more centered with my dinning room window.

JMS
Ames Iowa

york

JMS,

ya,that's deep enough for me-stump grinders don`t like dirt and rocks...

Bert
Albert

Rocky_J

It'll rot away in time. And I've seen stumps ground anywhere from just below grade to 18" deep. All depends on the situation, site needs, operator and the person paying the bill. But yes, 6" deep is within normal parameters. You can grade it flat and grow grass over it.

beenthere

..and when the stump rots away, you will just have to fill in the hole with more dirt and sow more grass seed on it... :) :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jmsiowa

Thanks for the quick replies.  ;)   I have plenty of clean dirt and compost to fill the hole though it may be a little late to seed this year.  Hmm need to check to see if I can get some sod.  Oh well,  It will get covered in snow in a little bit and I won't have to look at it till spring.

JMS

rebocardo

For someone else doing it, 4-6" is fine. If I am doing it myself, I usually go 12" or as far as I can, especially on an oak to break some of the roots so they can be pulled up.

Thank You Sponsors!