iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree shear help

Started by T Welsh, July 04, 2012, 06:42:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Welsh

Hey guys, I need a little help on trying to find the manufacturer of the shear head on the Cat 910. I just purchased the machine and I intend to get a bucket and a set of forks for it and use it as a yard machine. It has a Rome forestry package on it and a quick coupler. Does anyone know if this is a Cat coupler or a Rome coupler,it has a Rome badge welded to the side,but I can not find any info on this type on Rome,s web site. Any help will be great. Tim

snowstorm

i think you are going to need more parts to put a bucket on it. in your 2th pic the loader linkage that tips the head. you need 2 more. 2 on each side 2 different sizes. the setup you have dose not have enought rotation to dump a bucket. take your pics to a cat dealer they can tell you what you need. i have a 920 tech and parts book

justincase

I use to run a cat IT12 which is a 910 tool carrier and that coupler looks very similiar. Machine was a mid 80's model

Gary_C

Snowstorm is right. That quick attach set up you have does not have enough rotation to use a bucket and forks. You could use it, but the bucket will not have enough rotation to dump properly.

And there are many set ups with those J-hooks on the quick attach and unless you are lucky enough to have one that is common to one in present use, it's going to be very expensive to get a bucket, forks, and new linkages that will work.

Good idea though, but I tried that with a Hydroaxe and gave it up.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

T Welsh

I was kind of thinking that I was not going to be able to find a quick attach bucket or forks for this machine. And told myself when purchasing it that I would have to find a used bucket and and fabricate it to the machine by pulling the pins and not using the quick attach plate. I can find a set of good forks at auction and build my own log forks. Thanks,Tim

snowstorm

did that come from quakertown pa? saw the ad in the northern logger mag. the whole loader frame is a lot different than what a 920 or 930 loader would be. maybe find it used?

T Welsh

snowstorm, Yes it did! I was after the skidder and it was sold. So I looked at all that was left and came home with this. The wife wanted to shoot me, but when I told her what I paid for it, she said it was OK. Just looked at a clearing job this morning that it will go to work and earn its keep. I will end up fabricating what I need for it to be a multi use loader. Thanks guys! Tim

chevytaHOE5674

If you need more roll look into fabricating a "roll out" type setup for your forks and bucket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf8WqHF1yv0

Clam77

ROME did make a tree shear - "Draw Shear" they called it....  and it had the loader attachment yours does.

What you have there looks like the same thing.  I'd assume it wouldn't work as well on a loader though as they're made for excavators now and they have ENORMOUS hydraulic power compared to loaders.

The ROME patent info...   http://www.patentgenius.com/patent/4313479.html#show-page1

ROME probably made a beefed up version of this company's shear a long time ago and may have sold the patent to them later on.....  http://www.treeshears.com/tw10exc/default.htm

Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

T Welsh

Clam77, The shears on the machine work very well, you do not even have to rev up the motor. We are going to shoot Sunday and I went down to the gun range and pulled some trees off the side line.

No issue,s with the machine so far. I checked all fluids and greased it and noticed it has a newer hydraulic pump and alternator on it and a new battery. Does any one know of a good place to buy a used bucket around SE PA. I will probably go to the next Riche Brothers auction in North East MD. I know I can find a bucket there, But its hit and miss there and with scrap prices high I am guessing that its going to cost me around 1K to get a donor bucket and fabricate it to pin on the arms and linkage. Tim

Thank You Sponsors!