iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My new project!

Started by etroup10, August 09, 2016, 01:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etroup10

Last week I picked up a Gafner Hydra loader. It needs some work but i got it for a good price. I'm planning on mounting this on a road legal trailer, for moving logs and lumber too and from my mill. It doesn't have a power unit, but I got two wisconsin tjd engines to build a power unit for it. I'll have this parked close to the mill and add some quick attach fittings to run the hydraulics on my mill instead of my current 5hp honda.

I also managed to pick up some log decks for $75 from the same guy, I will have to replace the chains, but one deck already has a hydraulic motor.

I also bought another hydraulic motor and a couple valves from the same guy for another $100. All in all I got some pretty good deals and I'm looking forward to getting everything going. He also had a hudson mill there that someone had made fully hydraulic, two plane clamp, chain turner, hyd. backstops, up/down, carraige movement and board drag back. He was only asking $5000 for it, and it makes me wish I would have found that mill before I bought mine!
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

Satamax

Etroup10.

I don't know how you work, nor how most of the people work in the us.

But i think this would be better mounted on a truck, than a trailer.

All the cranes i see on trailers over here, don't seem to get much use.

I think it moves faster that way. You need it in the other side of your yard, you don't have to attach the trailer, maneuver around the yard with a trailer etc?

JMHO.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

ozarkgem

Good deals you got there. Some serious stacks of logs also. Are they at your place?
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

etroup10

Thanks, not my logs, I have it sitting where I work because we have more tools and a welder there. You should see the whole log yard!

I'm thinking the first thing I'll do is add a seat on the loader itself and move the valves.then replace lines  and give it some new paint
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: etroup10 on August 10, 2016, 12:30:26 PM
Thanks, not my logs, I have it sitting where I work because we have more tools and a welder there. You should see the whole log yard!

I'm thinking the first thing I'll do is add a seat on the loader itself and move the valves.then replace lines  and give it some new paint

Nice finds!  Are you just replacing some bad lines or are you going to do them all (because they are really old)?  I found a hydraulic shop that gives a hefty cash discount.  With what you have there, it would almost pay for itself to get yourself a hydraulic crimp tool and buy all the parts!  I see $1,500-2,500 in hoses!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kbeitz

You can also buy Reusable Hydraulic Fittings...
You dont need a crimper to use them.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

etroup10

I'm just planning on replacing a couple short lines that are in rough shape, primarily around the grapple. All the lines are 1/2" and the loader only has a 9' reach. So it shouldn't be too bad to replace them. And by moving the valves to the top of the loader, I shouldn't have to buy very many long hoses. Hopefully I'll be able to convert the swing of the boom to foot pedals instead of the valve handle.

eastberkshirecustoms

A few guys around my area have loaders like mounted at the front of the trailer. Then the logs are stacked at the rear-like a log truck.

never finished

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Kbeitz on August 10, 2016, 03:55:14 PM
You can also buy Reusable Hydraulic Fittings...
You dont need a crimper to use them.

These fittings work well BUT you MUST use the correct hose or they dont work so great.
Any supplier that has the fittings will probably have the hose too.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: etroup10 on August 10, 2016, 06:48:18 PM
I'm just planning on replacing a couple short lines that are in rough shape, primarily around the grapple. All the lines are 1/2" and the loader only has a 9' reach. So it shouldn't be too bad to replace them. And by moving the valves to the top of the loader, I shouldn't have to buy very many long hoses. Hopefully I'll be able to convert the swing of the boom to foot pedals instead of the valve handle.

If you are not in a huge hurry and you know the exact fitting style, I ordered some off of eBay that were pretty inexpensive and look like they will last.  I don't know all the fitting types by name so I usually have to take them in to the shop to have them duplicate.  When I replaced all the hoses on my backhoe, they replaced them with EXACTLY the same size hoses.  Somewhere along the line, a previous owner replaced two hoses on the end of the crowd arm for the bucket with the above "reusable" fittings.  Apparently they only had 3/4" hose/fittings.  All the other hoses are 1/2".  My new hoses are all 1/2" except the bucket hoses.  Looks a little goofy.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

larrydown60

I am watching this build very interested

etroup10

I'll probably just get lines from surplus center. I should be welding up the seat mount tonight after work and I just heard back from a guy about an equipment trailer that they put log uprights on, going to look at it next week!! If I buy the trailer, I'll have about $2100 in it altogether! Looking forward to getting it put together!

fishfighter

When I replaced all the hoses on my backhoe, I went to a coop farmer store and the prices were half the price compared to other places.

etroup10

I was able to get a little work done lately. I added a seat to the loader and raised the valves up to the seat. I disconnected some of the junk lines. I'm lucky to have a good boss and he is allowing me to take some lines from a worn out prentice loader that is heading for scrap, a lot of the lines on it were replaced within the last 5 years and hasn't been run the last two, no dry rot on them. So I should be able to replace all my lines with that and only have to buy fittings.

azmtnman

Quote from: etroup10 on August 17, 2016, 08:21:48 PM
I was able to get a little work done lately. I added a seat to the loader and raised the valves up to the seat. I disconnected some of the junk lines. I'm lucky to have a good boss and he is allowing me to take some lines from a worn out prentice loader that is heading for scrap, a lot of the lines on it were replaced within the last 5 years and hasn't been run the last two, no dry rot on them. So I should be able to replace all my lines with that and only have to buy fittings.
Score!
I'm watching your build. I have been thinking about and how to build something similar. Parbuckleing is getting old quick and takes too many people.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

slider

i like your project as well but it would serve you well to have this boom on a truck,except for tags and insurance.I have had one for 10 years and it has been one of the best investments i have made so far. good luck.al
al glenn

tacks Y

Good move on the trailer. I was there earlier this summer looking at something else, he would no sell the trailer then. Is the brick loader still there? I was looking at that to mount on a trailer. Thanks Tom

etroup10

Quote from: tacks Y on August 18, 2016, 08:03:45 AM
Good move on the trailer. I was there earlier this summer looking at something else, he would no sell the trailer then. Is the brick loader still there? I was looking at that to mount on a trailer. Thanks Tom
He still had the brick loader when I got this! That was tempting to buy too for what he wanted, but I really had no way of using it. Where are you at in PA? I'm about an hour south east of him.

It would be nice on a truck with a 16' flatbed, but I'd probably have to change the outriggers. And it only has a 9.5' reach so it's not too big.

I also got to look at a trailer last night. It's too big for me but a good deal for someone. Dual axle dually equipment trailer, in really good shape and hardly used, he only wanted 1k for it, but didn't have a title. Also had air brakes, so id have to change that to pull with my 250.

ozarkgem

I would love to have the equipment trailer. I have air brakes on my dump truck. They always bring big bucks here. Hard to gt a good buy on one of them.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

etroup10

A little paint makes a big difference!

Didn't do the grapple yet because I might be changing it. It was modified to pinch at the ends instead of close on on itself. But I'm going to try it this way first.

ozarkgem

Quote from: etroup10 on August 25, 2016, 12:20:59 PM
A little paint makes a big difference!

Didn't do the grapple yet because I might be changing it. It was modified to pinch at the ends instead of close on on itself. But I'm going to try it this way first.
Is that some sort of a burner behind the loader?  Maybe you need to give us a tour of the place you work.

etroup10

Well I got it running!! Haven't had much time to run it yet, but it will sure make things a lot easier around the mill!!

bedway

Man could I have fun with that, enjoy it.

etroup10

Thank You Sponsors!